1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Mobile hot spot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DroidEDI, Feb 23, 2011.

1. DroidEDI

DroidEDI Newbie
    None

May 26, 2010
    So I came from an Evo when they first came out then back to the iPhone due to work. Now that I'm changing jobs I moved to the Shift and I like the phone due to it's smaller size.

However one feature I loved of the Evo was the ability to make a mobile hot spot from my phone. Can this be achieved either rooted or non rooted? Is there an app for that?

Thanks for the input!

Advertisement

2. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Glad you like the shift! If your phone is unrooted (stock) then you have to pay $30 a month for the service. If rooted, you can do it free! I'm sure there's multiple apps that can accomplish this but I can't recommend one as my phone isn't rooted yet.

3. noobs

noobs Newbie
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    Minnesota, USA
    If you use usb tethering I think you can get a version without rooting if you don't want to root your phone. It can use Bluetooth but I am not sure if that creates a hotspot or whatever. PDAnet is the name. It is kind of a spendy app but works. Wireless tethering requires root or paying the $30 per month fee.

4. yokdriver

yokdriver Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    im going to have to look into this as well. I think paying an additional 30 is not right

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011

Why?

6. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Cause we're already paying for the internet, which is a service. We shouldn't have to pay extra for an additional function. This is why I sometimes wish I was back with T-mobile, but their service sucks. My 2 cents!

7. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    If you don't want to fully root your device, you can use visionary to temp root. Then download wireless tether from the market... Works great.

If you do only temp root I would suggest NOT checking temp root on boot until you feel comfortable. You could get stuck in a vicious boot loop

8. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

According to what some people said, they said that on your regular plan, you do not truly have unlimited data. It's really 5GB. If you hit 5GB in a month, Sprint will check your data consumption and if they have found that you are tethering and not paying the extra $30 a month for it, you will have your service terminated. It is in the fine print on their website and other places.

So what the $30 a month does is allows you to go over 5GB in a month and not be checked into. I agree it's kind of a waste, but the reason they do it is that Sprint is charged through taxes or something for all of the data that comes in and goes out of their network. So what they do is set limits on who can and cannot use the data and how much can be used. It is hard to hit 5GB in a month unless you are tethering or using torrents or something else that may be illegal or against their guidelines. I have only hit 3 and a half GBs in a month being the most I've ever used while being with them in a 1 and a half year span. I hate the extra price just as anyone else does, but, it's their network.

You can root your device as others suggested or you can use USB/Bluetooth tethering which can be downloaded from the Market. One is EasyTether and another is PDaNet. Both are free but will NOT allow you to access sites that have a "https" URL unless you pay their fee. Rooting your phone sometimes allows USB tethering for free. Rooting your phone also allows the use of some Market apps such as Barnacle and Wifi Tether to be used to make your phone into a Wifi hotspot.

As far as getting hotspot feature as a non-rooted Evo/Evo Shift phone, you will need to pay the $30 extra.

EDIT: To elaborate on the "https" URL sites...sites that require a "https" URL are typically ones like your bank's website, Facebook, MySpace, eBay, Amazon, and other places on the web. The "s" stands for security, so it is used in many places on the web to, supposedly, secure your connection to them, so that people cannot be able to see your password or login information when you type it online. It typically only appears on sites that have a login.

Tethering is against Sprint's guidelines, period. If you use it and do not pay their fees and let them know in some way, expect to have your account terminated. They do not condone anyone using Wifi Tether, Barnacle, PDaNet, EasyTether, or any other ones unless you pay. These apps are on the Google Market but only because Android covers many different carriers and some carriers don't mind if their users do tether.

9. faulderm.91367

None

Mar 9, 2011
    Mar 7, 2011 11:42 PM
    Are there more perks to mobile hotspot than just enternet?

I recently paid for the add on for mobile hotspot. my question is, is there any apps that are handy and helpful that i can use through my mobile network. such as, filesharing, remote desktop, some type of control pannel, or maybe like a server. I also thought it would even be cool to have sometype of mobile network messanger like something similar to the bluetooth messanger. Any ideas would be great to get the most of the 30 dollars extra I now have to pay.

10. faulderm.91367

None

Mar 9, 2011
    I guess really I pictured it also being like my home router where I created a network that I can share everything I want with any divice that I decide to connect. And almost treat the phones memory as a shared drive (at least a small portion of it).

11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    It is just a software router hotspot. Your other devices connect to it and it connectst o Sprint. It allows internet access. Not sure what you were expecting. It is not a server.