• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Hotspot Fix On The Way!!

I called both. VZW said there was a OTA fix scheduled to be release by end of year but was delayed. They didn't have any further information yet so I started calling HTC. The acknowledged the issue and indicated a fix was being worked on but no ETA on the fix yet. Called again last night and got the same answer.
Purely speculation on my part here but it makes sense that with 3-4 reported issues on the Rezound that they might try to bundle fixes for all into 1 release rather than send multiple OTA updates. We could be waiting on fixes for the hotspot data drop, music feedback noise (which I don't have that problem), pink instead of red soft key backlight (again, I don't have this issue), etc all to be ready. Or maybe they're waiting for the ICS update to fix it all, I don't know. I agree it's frustrating to pay for an advertised service that doesn't actually work and not have a quick resolution.
Unfortunately, the corp mentality that it's more important to get to market fast than to deliver a well tested working technology is becoming more prevalent in my experience. Let the user test is a very frustrating method for the user.
That said, I'm personally not a fan of the size of the newest alternatives from VZW right now. If you research those phones (Nexus/Razr) they have their own set of serious problems as well. I'm still hoping for a fix to this phone but keeping my frustration documented with both companies in case I need to eventually move on.

Upvote 0
This is why I want to go back to Sprint...I'd rather roam off of US Cellular's 1xRTT roaming agreement with Sprint than to be with Verizon. Given that Verizon has good quality with their network speeds and while calling, their data services are unstable and inconsistent compared to when I had Sprint and at&t...I'm tempted to cancel my line of service and go with Virgin Mobile with their Motorola Triumph...45 bucks a month for unlimited web and 1200 minutes...a perfect plan.

Upvote 0
I ran 5 continuous hours of hotspot last Saturday and 4 hours last Sunday... and didn't have a problem at all. It works fine while stationary and also works fine even while driving on the freeway bouncing off different cell towers (my kid on his tablet). While stationary i was using my tablet with that hotspot. But nevertheless if you guys have problems... it is a problem and hopefully they can do something to fix it.

(Anyways be sure there isn't a battery saver app to save the phone's power, set it to always enabled (not the 10 minutes auto-off timer), high performance mode, etc. Also I have the "notify if there is wi-fi available" disabled because i'm using 4G LTE full time.) bye

Upvote 0
I couldn't take it anymore...i just rooted my phone and tried the WT app and it worked like a charm. *I am still paying for hotspot*

But this just confirms that it is a software issue with that particular app.
Man, I love that WirelessTether app. It'll be fun to watch the data stream up and down on 4G LTE! And even when I do root, I'll continue to pay for hotspot, since I don't have another ISP at home anyway.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow...that is certainly disappointing...if you guys continue to have that problem, root and use a tether app while continuing to pay for hotspot feature. My tether app works like a charm.

The OTA update did not fix the hotspot dropping for me. Very dissapointed and will continue to ask for a $20 credit every month until they fix it for real. Looks like I'll have to root and use another tether app.

Which one are you using that works so well?

Upvote 0
Thanks wsettle. It's valuable to know I'm not the only one. I called VZW again yesterday to push the issue again. Got a very helpful 2nd level tech rep who is escalating it but hard to say what's going to some of it. I'd encourage anyone still having issues to call them and document it. He indicated they are compiling any complaints as the support staff impression was that the OTA was supposed to fix this.
I still read about others that seem to be having no trouble so I'm pretty frustrated.

Upvote 0
Well, the OTA did not work for my constant disconnections from the hotspot. I'm still having the same issue as before. Very disappointing. I returned one of my two Rezounds because of this issue. I have a GNexus and the hotspot feature works great but of course the radio signal is not as strong. This isn't a issue for me because I leave it at home so it always has a signal. Sure wish they would fix this hotspot issue for the Rezound because I love the phone!

Upvote 0
Well, the OTA did not work for my constant disconnections from the hotspot. I'm still having the same issue as before. Very disappointing. I returned one of my two Rezounds because of this issue. I have a GNexus and the hotspot feature works great but of course the radio signal is not as strong. This isn't a issue for me because I leave it at home so it always has a signal. Sure wish they would fix this hotspot issue for the Rezound because I love the phone!

I thought you'd already switched from the Rez to the Nex? Did you switch back? Or is this someone else's Rez that you're seeing the 4G drop during MHS? And is it even this same issue - where 4G drops during MHS? Or is your MHS connection actually dropping?

Scratch that - 4G just started dropping out during MHS. Ugh. It was working for a good while!

OTA hasn't fixed it. Time to start calling VZW again

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with VZW again.
So they reset the data connection on their end, blah blah, and recognize now that the OTA did not fix it. Raised to a higher level Tech Support and finally initiated what she called a "Product Issue" form that will be sent to the manufacturer so that if it is something that can be fixed via a software OTA update, it can make it to the next update.
I asked about timeline and she said the OTA would generally take 60-90 days once they recognize it. So I expressed disappointment over having to pay for a feature that doesn't perform. She credited me another $30 (they already did that last month), so at least I'm not paying for it. But I don't know how much more patient I can be. One more month and I'm going to request they switch me to the Nexus.

Upvote 0
I thought you'd already switched from the Rez to the Nex? Did you switch back? Or is this someone else's Rez that you're seeing the 4G drop during MHS? And is it even this same issue - where 4G drops during MHS? Or is your MHS connection actually dropping?

Scratch that - 4G just started dropping out during MHS. Ugh. It was working for a good while!

OTA hasn't fixed it. Time to start calling VZW again

I had purchased 2 Rezounds and returned only 1 of them for the Nexus. Still have the other Rezound which is still not working properly with the OTA update. It has to be a software issue with the Rezound because my Nexus works fine with MHS. The Rezound is constantly dropping the MHS connection not the 4G connection.

Upvote 0
I had purchased 2 Rezounds and returned only 1 of them for the Nexus. Still have the other Rezound which is still not working properly with the OTA update. It has to be a software issue with the Rezound because my Nexus works fine with MHS. The Rezound is constantly dropping the MHS connection not the 4G connection.
Oh ok, these are two very different issues. It sounded like they were well aware of the actually MHS connection being lost, but not the data connection while maintaining MHS. And I sure hope it is a software issue. I'm concerned it is a hardware issue. Even possibly something to do with the proximity of those antenna in the battery cover?

Upvote 0
This is with the new firmware. I had my mobile hotspot on for 7 hours last Saturday and occasionally used it here and there. It was fine with 2 tablets (the tablets on and off several times depending on usage, but the hotspot was always on). Then yesterday/Sunday I had the hot spot on for 6 hours continuous and occasionally used it here and there too (1 tablet, and it was just fine). I usually just keep the hotspot on, no time-out setting. At the end of 6 hours i arrived home, booted up a laptop... and this laptop decided to hook on to my hotspot instead of the home wi-fi router. I download the POP3 emails (Outlook) and got to a few web pages. Then it got sluggish but still served the web-pages. Then ultra-sluggish and I had to hit retry on the browser as the web page timed-out. That was when i checked and realized the laptop hooked on to the phone/hotspot. (My hotspot was working fine before the update too... other than the first night with the new firmware last week when i had to reconfigure some stuff to get it to work.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones