• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Hotspot Fix On The Way!!

BlueSnake01

Nov 20, 2009
Fellow Rezound users!

After many phone 1 hour+ calls, exchanging phones, sim cards, drives to VZW stores and waiting. HTC finally seemed to take a look at the problem and confirmed it to be a software issue regarding the mobile hotspot. Got a call from an HTC rep yesterday and said they are fixing the issue. However, there is no lead time on how long we'll have to wait for the update. Good/bad news, take it however you want it. Just letting everyone know that a fix is coming hopefully soon.

I don't seem to be experiencing the mobile hotspot issues that everyone else is. Has everyone that is experiencing the issue been sure to switch on the "Always On" when prompted to during MHS activation?
I actually didn't. I selected the 10 min timeout, or whatever. So last night I switched it to Always On. Connected my desktop to the HotSpot to try to catch up on Windows Updates and 4G still disconnected constantly. Which caused Windows to get confused and stop the updates. Unless I killed them and re-initiated Windows update.

Really annoying.

So TxGoat, what devices have you connected to your Mobile Hotspot? So far I've experienced the 4G dropout while just about every device has connected to my MHS. Including:
1) Roku Player
2) Dell Laptop
3) iPhone 4
4) Logitech Revue (Google TV)
5) Desktop Dell PC with WiFi dongle

Upvote 0
SamXP...to get an idea of what seems to be happening, turn on the hotspot and then stream something to your PC fairly constant like music/video. Open your network utilization monitor from PC's task manager and watch as utilization builds to a peak, and then abruptly drops to zero, builds again, and drops back to zero. For me, this happens about every 30 seconds. For features that require a fairly steady connection, this is a killer. Since I don't have this problem when tethering, it would seem to be a function of the hotspot software.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that there had been a user that had done extensive troubleshooting, replacing SIM cards, replacing the phone, to no avail. It is now with hTC and since they just finished an hTC Thunderbolt update, they are working on releasing an OTA for the Rezound in "late December". I pressed him for a solid date because we're already in late December and he said that was all he had.

So FWIW, OTA software update due in the next week? I told him I'd call back next week to get an update if I don't see an update by then.

Reactions: mozygirl
Upvote 0
I actually didn't. I selected the 10 min timeout, or whatever. So last night I switched it to Always On. Connected my desktop to the HotSpot to try to catch up on Windows Updates and 4G still disconnected constantly. Which caused Windows to get confused and stop the updates. Unless I killed them and re-initiated Windows update.

Really annoying.

So TxGoat, what devices have you connected to your Mobile Hotspot? So far I've experienced the 4G dropout while just about every device has connected to my MHS. Including:
1) Roku Player
2) Dell Laptop
3) iPhone 4
4) Logitech Revue (Google TV)
5) Desktop Dell PC with WiFi dongle

I've connected a Toshiba Laptop without issue, an iMac, an HP Touchpad, an iPhone, an HTC Flyer, a PS3, an older Dell connected via a 3rd party wifi dongle (company computer). Don't get me wrong, I'll get dropout every so often, but typically it doesn't happen very often. Have you had Verizon remove the service from your account and add it again? Sometimes they don't provision things right on Verizon's side and that's where you run into problems.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that there had been a user that had done extensive troubleshooting, replacing SIM cards, replacing the phone, to no avail. It is now with hTC and since they just finished an hTC Thunderbolt update, they are working on releasing an OTA for the Rezound in "late December". I pressed him for a solid date because we're already in late December and he said that was all he had.

So FWIW, OTA software update due in the next week? I told him I'd call back next week to get an update if I don't see an update by then.

Yeah I was on the phone with Verizon last week and they said that there would be an update at the end of this week...it's Thursday...it was last week when they said this...

I really hope they fix this...this is my source of Internet when I'm at home...when I'm in Des Moines, Iowa (where I work) it's not so much a problem because a Starbucks and numerous free Wi-Fi hotspots are within seconds away, but when I'm in rural Iowa, it makes a BIG difference. I love my HTC Rezound and had no problems with my HTC EVO 3D with Sprint. I've lost all hope if this update doesn't push through.

Verizon offered me unlimited wireless hotspot data on top of my 4GB data cap for only $10 more (I currently pay $50 for 6GB, 4GB for phone, 2 GB for hotspot data). If it gets fixed....I am down with the extra ten bucks a month...I don't always use 6G's a month, but I don't want to be tied down with a cap (man I love Sprint...).

Upvote 0
Yeah I was on the phone with Verizon last week and they said that there would be an update at the end of this week...it's Thursday...it was last week when they said this...

I really hope they fix this...this is my source of Internet when I'm at home...when I'm in Des Moines, Iowa (where I work) it's not so much a problem because a Starbucks and numerous free Wi-Fi hotspots are within seconds away, but when I'm in rural Iowa, it makes a BIG difference. I love my HTC Rezound and had no problems with my HTC EVO 3D with Sprint. I've lost all hope if this update doesn't push through.

Verizon offered me unlimited wireless hotspot data on top of my 4GB data cap for only $10 more (I currently pay $50 for 6GB, 4GB for phone, 2 GB for hotspot data). If it gets fixed....I am down with the extra ten bucks a month...I don't always use 6G's a month, but I don't want to be tied down with a cap (man I love Sprint...).

http://androidforums.com/htc-rezound/456443-how-get-unlimited-data-new-customers-must-4g-phone.html

read that thread all the way thru and handle that issue first....then we'll see what happens with the hotspot. make sure you read it thru because someone gave a code to give the rep when you call in.

Upvote 0
Hate to tell you guys this, but I spent about an hour on the phone today with both Verizon and HTC people......both of which said there are "no complaints logged in their systems about a mobile hotspot issue with the HTC Rezound and as a result no upcoming update to fix it" .....so it looks like they are just blowing us off....which ticks me off. They said that they will now put it on their list of things to look at.......customer support at its best......

Reactions: SamXp
Upvote 0
I've connected a Toshiba Laptop without issue, an iMac, an HP Touchpad, an iPhone, an HTC Flyer, a PS3, an older Dell connected via a 3rd party wifi dongle (company computer). Don't get me wrong, I'll get dropout every so often, but typically it doesn't happen very often. Have you had Verizon remove the service from your account and add it again? Sometimes they don't provision things right on Verizon's side and that's where you run into problems.
Everyone I know with this issue reports it happening every 5 minutes, or so. Especially when streaming heavily. They already reprovisioned things on their end during my first call to them.

Hate to tell you guys this, but I spent about an hour on the phone today with both Verizon and HTC people......both of which said there are "no complaints logged in their systems about a mobile hotspot issue with the HTC Rezound and as a result no upcoming update to fix it" .....so it looks like they are just blowing us off....which ticks me off. They said that they will now put it on their list of things to look at.......customer support at its best......
Not surprised. Typical of Customer Service where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The guy that told me an OTA was due late December was a "level 2 Tech" that was extremely knowledgeable, yet I wouldn't put it past him to blow smoke just to get rid of me for a while. I tend to believe him, though, because he cited all the same troubleshooting the OP once mentioned, on exchanging SIM cards, replacing the phone, etc.

Upvote 0
Not surprised. Typical of Customer Service where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The guy that told me an OTA was due late December was a "level 2 Tech" that was extremely knowledgeable, yet I wouldn't put it past him to blow smoke just to get rid of me for a while. I tend to believe him, though, because he cited all the same troubleshooting the OP once mentioned, on exchanging SIM cards, replacing the phone, etc.

Nah, I don't think he was blowing smoke...I just called to report my issue as well and the rep said that there is a software version 2.something that is supposed to fix the hotspot issue and she said from what she saw it was to be out at the end of december. She walked me through everything she could and we were on the phone about 20 mins so I doubt she was wasting her time. My hotspot cut off immediately the first time and the second time it streamed exactly 5 minutes 51 seconds before shutting down.

Upvote 0
Sadly no update yet... I called in to get credit for my mobile hotspot, rather wait than keep paying for something that's useless. On the other hand, people have been having great results with Wireless Tether (root required) on the Rezound. Looks like this is my next step, next week I should have a new Rezound, im gonna unlock it and root it and use that app. Will post results and see how that goes.

Upvote 0
Called back again. They acknowledged that the initial estimate for the OTA update was for the end of December but that estimate has now been revised to "TBA".
Since it was now open ended, I asked if they could reimburse me for a service that was not useful to me. They said I could always just cancel it and add it back but I said I'd like to keep it (mostly because I'm worried about losing unlimited data! But also...) because I can still use it to connect my tablet and laptop and check email, etc.
So they offered me a one-time credit for $30. I said that sounded good, as I'd hope that the OTA would roll out by then. If not, I'll call again and we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones