• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile Hotspot question

cartisdm

Android Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ok, could you all clear something up for me? Everyone keeps raving about the new Mobile Hotspot feature when Froyo comes out. First off, in about 15 minutes you can root your phone and add that feature. But as for the update, is it going to be free or something? I feel like all they're going to do is add another Verizon widget that'll get in the way but we'll have to use that to connect (thus, adding $$$ to our bill). What is all the fuss about?

Supposedly it will be an extra $10-$20 a month to use the mobile hotspot. (someone let me know if that is correct, maybe it was for tethering)That is a dealbreaker for me, and to be quite honest I personally have never seen the appeal or use of a mobile hotspot on my mobile device. I used to want tethering but again not worth the extra cost. And now since Starbucks has opened all of their wireless, there is no need for me to have to worry about connecting while traveling. You can barely go 10 feet without seeing a Starbucks so I am all set.

Upvote 0
Once Froyo makes it out, I think I'm going to root and get Wifi Hotspot that way.

I just want to "unroot" before Gingerbread (3.0) comes out, so the upgrade process is painless. I had an iPhone before, and the Jailbreak/Unjailbreak cycle was painful.

That said, I think Google -- who supports openness -- should make it a requirement of using Android that users have root control by default. I think that would giving Android a huge boost in the iOS rivalry, while holding true to Google's values.

Upvote 0
That all depends on how much you value security. Mobile hotspot is leaps and bounds better than an open wireless access point.

I work in IT for a living, IA specifically so I do value security. I travel a lot for work and I always connect to open wireless and have never had issues with any of my devices getting hacked, or my information intercepted or accessed by an unknown individual. Being careless and being aware of what is going on with your devices are two different things entirely. You should always be aware of what you are sending and receiving.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones