• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Hotspot

deerman

Lurker
Jun 18, 2013
Can anyone tell me how to get my desktop to connect to my cell phone mobile hotspot, I can get it to tether with my usb cable but I want it to connect wireless, Phone is a TMobile, Lg Optimus 9 and my computer is a Emachine desktop, model number EL13060G-UW11p, it is windows 7

Thanks in advance

If your computer does not have a wireless card/usb stick or a bluetooth card/usb dongle you will not be able to connect to the wifi hotspot from the phone.

Most people that connect phone to computer are using a laptop/netbook with built in wireless card.

I have a different setup on mine but I dont normally connect to my cell for internet.
I have comcast and if they go down I have a laptop that connects to the cell phone hot spot and then shares its internet connection with the wired connection of the laptop putting that out to my router. my router then distributes it to my other pc's both wired and wirelessly.

Upvote 0
If your computer does not have a wireless card/usb stick or a bluetooth card/usb dongle you will not be able to connect to the wifi hotspot from the phone.

Most people that connect phone to computer are using a laptop/netbook with built in wireless card.

I have a different setup on mine but I dont normally connect to my cell for internet.
I have comcast and if they go down I have a laptop that connects to the cell phone hot spot and then shares its internet connection with the wired connection of the laptop putting that out to my router. my router then distributes it to my other pc's both wired and wirelessly.

Is that something I could add to my computer or do I have to buy one that already has these capabilities. I have a Ipad on the way but I will still use the destop, I am old school.

Upvote 0
Is that something I could add to my computer or do I have to buy one that already has these capabilities. I have a Ipad on the way but I will still use the destop, I am old school.
They make many usb wireless sticks, let me link you to one example.

Patriot PCUSBW1150 USB 2.0 WI-FI USB Adapter - Newegg.com

and a pic of it

33-210-003-Z01

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones