• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile Hotspot

SkylerO

Lurker
Jan 24, 2016
I have a question about my very cheap smartphone. I currently use a ZTE Obsidian Z820 running on Lollipop 5.1. My provider is through Family Mobile (WalMart/TMobile). My plan is unlimited talk/text and data but 5GB of it is 4GLTE. My phone has the ability to use HotSpot in which I have no problem getting devices to connect to the phone, whether its over WiFi or USB tethering. But here's the issue. I have no problems loading YouTube or downloading files over the internet but when it comes to simple gaming, one problem persists... The devices connected to the phone lose connection for a split second. I can play Call of Duty Black Ops 3 on the PS4 through my HotSpot just fine for like 5-10 minutes and then I lose connection to Host. I then tried my Laptop to Play Diablo. Same issue. Loss of connection. These devices are capable of using the hotspot for application updates and software updates but I just can't seem to stay connected to a host for gaming. I've tried finding Advanced options for HotSpot settings but all I have are basic settings, even in developer settings. I'm unsure of where to go for help on this topic as this is a lower end phone and I know of no one who uses this phone. My boyfriend uses his iPhone 6 plus for hotspot but its through Verizon and their limits and overage fees let alone speed are just all terrible for where we live at. Oh not to mention we can not get internet out where we live.

Any sort of guidance would much be appreciated!

I am on Verizon, using both a S5 and a Note 4.

Both of them have a very strong WiFi hotspot signal.... and so far, they do not 'drop out'.

unless, you are doing a lot of reading and not using the browser much.... then the phone seems to disconnect you...
but move the mouse, and click on something, and it will reconnect the WiFi to the internet....

this is to reduce the Bandwidth Load on the cellular towers... that way they can serve more people.

it is a fact of life, and we can't do anything about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones