• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tcross8361

Dec 19, 2010
This is probably more to do with Apps than the phone specifically but my phone is the S2. I'm curious about the Mobile ID app and what it is. I did do a google search and I understand what it does but it doesn't seem to be working. When I select it, it brings up a screen that says "Welcome to Mobile ID". It says that basically the download failed and gives me the options "cancel" and "retry". I select retry and it goes into download mode. Then it fails. I'm on wifi. Any Ideas?

It was already there. You can't totally get rid of it unless you root and remove it.

Then we must be talking about different things. Without me doing anything I got notification that the "Mobile ID" had downloaded and needed to be installed. I could not find a way to remove it without first installing it so I did so. It changed the home screen completely and rearranged things on the phone in a way I totally hate. I searched and apparently I'm not alone in having it downloaded without my asking for it. The battery usage rate has also jumped.

As far as rooting goes with all the posts I've seen from people explaining problems after rooting I will have to pass. The fact that I am completely without knowledge on the hows and whys of rooting and can not afford to turn the phone into a paperweight helped make that decision.

Upvote 0
Then we must be talking about different things. Without me doing anything I got notification that the "Mobile ID" had downloaded and needed to be installed. I could not find a way to remove it without first installing it so I did so. It changed the home screen completely and rearranged things on the phone in a way I totally hate. I searched and apparently I'm not alone in having it downloaded without my asking for it. The battery usage rate has also jumped.

As far as rooting goes with all the posts I've seen from people explaining problems after rooting I will have to pass. The fact that I am completely without knowledge on the hows and whys of rooting and can not afford to turn the phone into a paperweight helped make that decision.

Mobile ID comes with the phone and is already installed on the stock rom. The notification you got was the virgin mobile theme that was downloaded and it will happen again even after a factory reset. Your best bet is to just change the stuff back to how it was before it changed your setup.

Upvote 0
Mobile ID comes with the phone and is already installed on the stock rom. The notification you got was the virgin mobile theme that was downloaded and it will happen again even after a factory reset. Your best bet is to just change the stuff back to how it was before it changed your setup.

OK, yes it was the Virgin Mobile ID pack that gave me the problem. I have been trying to get it back as it was, but it appears that can't be done. I do like the phone, but I hate having something downloaded that I didn't ask for and definitely don't want. Oh well,.......

Upvote 0
OK, yes it was the Virgin Mobile ID pack that gave me the problem. I have been trying to get it back as it was, but it appears that can't be done. I do like the phone, but I hate having something downloaded that I didn't ask for and definitely don't want. Oh well,.......

Do you like having TouchWiz? Or do you prefer just using the stock android launcher?

Upvote 0
Do you like having TouchWiz? Or do you prefer just using the stock android launcher?

I've been considering this question for a few minutes now and honestly don't have an answer. I did a bit of searching and gained the knowledge that there are several "aftermarket" launchers available. I will have to look and learn more before I can answer. I liked the SGS2 4G when I got it (28 Dec), but I also liked my last phone, LG Optimus V, when I got it about 2 years ago. ???

Upvote 0
I've been considering this question for a few minutes now and honestly don't have an answer. I did a bit of searching and gained the knowledge that there are several "aftermarket" launchers available. I will have to look and learn more before I can answer. I liked the SGS2 4G when I got it (28 Dec), but I also liked my last phone, LG Optimus V, when I got it about 2 years ago. ???

Well it really depends on what the person likes. The one that comes with the phone is called TouchWiz launcher. The one that was on the Optimus V is stock android but that was when it was Gingerbread. They have now updated the launcher in ICS to a different feel and look. I personally prefer the stock android ICS launcher (trebuchet) style. I'm currently using Apex Launcher from the Play Store and it uses the same style as the stock android launcher. If you want to download it then you can try it out (its free) and if you don't like it you can always just uninstall it.

Upvote 0
I'm currently using Apex Launcher from the Play Store and it uses the same style as the stock android launcher. If you want to download it then you can try it out (its free) and if you don't like it you can always just uninstall it.

I may very well do that. While reading about TouchWiz it looks like there is a possible security problem with it. That alone is a good enough reason to try Apex. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones