• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile internet always connected?

Gui

Oct 2, 2009
Belgium
I just bought a Hero today, and it looks like if it's always connected to mobile internet. The "E" icon is always there. What does that mean? I would prefer my HTC to connect only periodically... for example every 15 minutes to check my e-mails and sync my calendar. Is that possible?
I think the battery life would much be better if we could do that, and I personally don't need my mobile phone to be connected to the internet 24 hours a day!

Hello :D

If you press Menu > Settings > Wireless Control > Mobile network settings > You can then toggle between "Enable always-on mobile" being active or not.

I think you email will still be checked as frequently as you've got it set to do so (Mail > Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive > Set download frequency > Select a setting between "Every 15 mins" and "Once a day".

Chegs.

P.S. The Hero is fab ;)

Upvote 0
Hi, the better way to do it would be to place the Mobile Data widget (it is a toggle), onto your home screen & just switch off and on as your like from there.

Chegs, just to clarify, your email would only be refreshed as often as you connected to the internet using the Mobile Data widget.

If I were you, I would possibly switch off automatic refresh period of the email & just refresh manually, once you switch on the mobile data connection.

I leave my mobile data on & generally, recharge once a day. It doesn't drain the battery that much in the background, especially, if you turn the synchronisation times of some of the apps longer......

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answers.

However, I think these methods are not convenient at all... I just don't get why it's not possible to set the phone so that it will automatically connect to the internet only when needed. All my previous smartphones could do that (Nokia 6600, E65, 5800, iPhone, etc.).

Even when I'm using the Wifi and set the "wifi sleep policy" to "turn off when screen goes off" it still remains ON. :thinking:

I switched off the auto-update of the Weather widget, disconnected from Facebook and turned off the auto-sync feature, but it didn't change anything.

Upvote 0
Hi, as I previously mentioned, I would use the widgets to toggle WIFI & Mobile Data on or off as you like. This is what I do.

IMHO, unless you have a limited data usage limit set by your carrier (mine is 500mb from Vodafone), turning off the mobile data misses the point of this phone.

It is one of the new devices that now seamlessly update widgets using the internet (e.g. weather). Defeats the object of the phone really.

If you wanted a longer battery life, you probably should have picked a different phone, as all smartphones are quite high power users, especially with the larger screens.

My view, don't worry about the battery usage.

Upvote 0
Hi, as I previously mentioned, I would use the widgets to toggle WIFI & Mobile Data on or off as you like. This is what I do.

IMHO, unless you have a limited data usage limit set by your carrier (mine is 500mb from Vodafone), turning off the mobile data misses the point of this phone.

It is one of the new devices that now seamlessly update widgets using the internet (e.g. weather). Defeats the object of the phone really.

If you wanted a longer battery life, you probably should have picked a different phone, as all smartphones are quite high power users, especially with the larger screens.

My view, don't worry about the battery usage.

iagree.gif

Upvote 0
As above, the whole point of the phone is to be constantly connected. I don't think battery is going to be extended that much.

Use Timeriffic or Custom Locale to switch stuff on based on Location or time settings.

I work 9-5 so I use the following

9-5 Mobile network comes on
5-6 All connections switched off
6-12 Wifi network switches on
12-7 All connections switched off
7-8 Wifi network switches on
8-9 All connections switched off

This fits in well with my requirements of a) maintaining decent battery and b) staying within my 500mb limit

Upvote 0
The E means "Edge" which is better than GPRS. Your icon should display an "G" = GPRS lowest speed of internet, "E" = Edge, faster but not quite as fast as...., "3G" fast speed however, "H" is the fastest with it's 7.2 mbps [?] speed [?] Don't qoute me on that one but it's extremely fast. You should notice it changing all the time if you haven't already got a H. Today I moved around the College Campus and on the bus and got different signals throughout the journey. If the arrow is animating then you are sending /and/or/ recieving data. To stop this you need to stop the roaming on your settings menu.

Upvote 0
Please Re-read Post #2 in this thread. That is how you can change it from being always on to only on when apps need it.

But, I love the always on setting because for the push gmail and calendar. Ive been on Gmail with my PC browser, see a new msg come in the inbox and hear my phone beep that I have new mail almost simultaneously. Ive added important info to a calendar appointment online then run out the door and before Im in the car my phone calendar has the new calendar info on it. Google nailed the gmail and calendar integration. I love it.

Upvote 0
I got my Hero last week and have got a question about Mobile Internet usage as mine seemed to be being used at a very quick rate - for example, in 3 and a half hours after I switched my Hero on, I had used 5.29mb of data!

I thought I had found the solution by reducing the frequency and volume of email retrieval from my Yahoo (pop3) account. It was set to retrieve 3 days worth of email every 15 mins, but I have reduced that to retrieving only todays email every hour. However, even by doing this, my data usage is now 7.58mb since I switched it on 6 hours ago - is this normal..?? I'm hardly using the phone today just by way of a test.

A couple of further questions -
1) I'm using NetCounter to keep track of my Mobile Internet usage, but is there an application out there that breaks down the Mobile Internet data usage by application? This would help me identify what is downloading so much data. I'm on an Orange 500mb limit contract and i'm gonna burn this pretty quick at this rate.
2) Is there a better email client in the Market than the in-built pop3 client..? The Gmail client is pretty good, but the Hero's pop3 client is a bit grim!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones