• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile Internet Dell Streak 5

Propermanor

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
Just bought a Dell Streak 5. I have no problems logging onto web pages via wifi and my apps which require network connection (facebook, google maps etc) connect to the 3G/HSPA network no problem. However when I open my Browser I can view any websites and am told there is no data connection/signal. I have contacted O2 my provider and they have confirmed my Sim is ok and that my APN setting are correct. I believe I have ticked all the correct boxes (Data Connection on, WIFI Off etc) but still no luck. I have tried the stock Android Browser as well as Opera and Dolphin HD but still no luck. Am I missing something obvious? Any ideas would be appreciated

However when I open my Browser I can view any websites and am told there is no data connection/signal. I have contacted O2 my provider and they have confirmed my Sim is ok and that my APN setting are correct.

I have had this problem a few times. I am on talkmobile and have had two phones that were unlocked that wouldn't work no matter how much the people from talkmobile tried.
It appears that if the phone was linked to a provider (and two bad ones come to mind - O2 and T-Mobile) before unlocking the firmware seems to prevent data streaming on some networks like talkmobile.

Ironically it seems I have the complete reverse problem to you and I am betting your phone would work with my provider. Funny thing is that most of the phones for sale used seem to be O2 originated.
The only solution for me was to get a phone from the factory so to speak and not a provider one. It needed to be sim free unlocked at birth.

Incidentally, I had one phone brand new from Panamoz that was said to be factory sourced and supposed to be sm free but kept returning to T-mobile and blocking data streaming on my talkmobile simcard; it was really only unlocked!!:( Go figure!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones