• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Network (3G) = Biggest Battery Killer!

willdogs

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009
I'm sure many people know this already but I just experienced it.

I'm currently on vacation in puerto rico and there is Extended Service (Voice & txt) but only 1x Data and its barely worth it. So I've turned of my Eris' Mobile Network to conserve Battery... And BOY does it!

I've had my Eris on for two days now and my battery is at 71%! I never thought I'd see this lol.

The funny thing is I have Wifi and GPS switched on! Seems like these two don't use the battery as much as the 3G connection.

Anyways, back to the beach!

First of all, enjoy the beach. I wish I could :)

Second, (and most important) are you serious? Does it really conserve that much? What kind of use have you been doing on the phone? Moderate? Heavy?

It will conserve a lot of battery. Especially with the known signal problems of switching from 3g to 1x constantly.

Although, most people will make the argument that you shouldn't have to turn the mobile network off to get good battery life. That's the whole point of buying a smartphone. You shouldn't have to disable what it is meant to do.

Upvote 0
I agree with you all the way on that, Bswartz. I hate when I'm told that I have to turn or sense, screen animations, etc. just to get good battery. People actually turn all this stuff off that we paid for for good battery. I think that they shouldn't have made the phone a bit bigger to fit a true HERO battery in so we could enjoy what this phone was made to do.

Upvote 0
It will conserve a lot of battery. Especially with the known signal problems of switching from 3g to 1x constantly.

Although, most people will make the argument that you shouldn't have to turn the mobile network off to get good battery life. That's the whole point of buying a smartphone. You shouldn't have to disable what it is meant to do.

Not so fast... It depends on whether or not you are in a strong signal area, whether you are roaming, et cetera.

Sort of analogous to the same way that a "dumb" cell phone will discharge itself extremely rapidly in rural areas with weak or non-existent service. Note that even for voice service, the tower and the handset frequently go through repeated "training" intervals where the handset power is adjusted. So, if you are in a weak signal area, or the tower can't "hear" your phone very well - your handset will dissipate a lot more power. There is no reason to believe that data services are any different - the network operator wants your phone to be able to stay in contact with the tower.

I ran two separate trials after the OTA update: in the first trial, I left mobile network on (and switched WiFi & GPS off), but avoided using the phone for anything but SMS, reading email, and a few voice calls. I put the phone back on the charger at 20% remaining after 37 hours.

In the second trial, I operated it in "dumb cellphone mode", turning off Mobile Network, Wifi, and GPS. After 14 hours, the phone was still at something like 95% charge, and I got fed up with the experiment... I didn't want to wait 5 or 10 days to run the battery down! So, I switched Mobile Network back on. Ended up putting the phone back on the charger at 62 hours. No, that's not a typo: sixty-two hours.

In both of those cases, the phone was mostly used in a "3 or 4 bars" EVDO signal area (best signal -73 dBm); presumably staying in touch with the tower was not costing me much battery.

I guess the point is that in a weak signal area - where the phone is forced to boost its signal to maximum transmit power, or it is toggling back and forth between EVDO and RTT - it is easy to demonstrate that using the radio will cost you battery life. But that's nothing new - the same thing is true with voice service only.

It is overly simplistic to think that you can wander all over creation and always observe the same battery life with your cell phone; on the other hand, if you are aware of these kinds of behaviors, you can certainly adopt habits which will vastly improve time between charges - for instance putting the phone into Airplane mode when you know the phone will be unattended for long stretches of time, or toggling the WiFi on only when it's needed.

eu1

Upvote 0
Not so fast... It depends on whether or not you are in a strong signal area, whether you are roaming, et cetera.

Sort of analogous to the same way that a "dumb" cell phone will discharge itself extremely rapidly in rural areas with weak or non-existent service. Note that even for voice service, the tower and the handset frequently go through repeated "training" intervals where the handset power is adjusted. So, if you are in a weak signal area, or the tower can't "hear" your phone very well - your handset will dissipate a lot more power. There is no reason to believe that data services are any different - the network operator wants your phone to be able to stay in contact with the tower.

I ran two separate trials after the OTA update: in the first trial, I left mobile network on (and switched WiFi & GPS off), but avoided using the phone for anything but SMS, reading email, and a few voice calls. I put the phone back on the charger at 20% remaining after 37 hours.

In the second trial, I operated it in "dumb cellphone mode", turning off Mobile Network, Wifi, and GPS. After 14 hours, the phone was still at something like 95% charge, and I got fed up with the experiment... I didn't want to wait 5 or 10 days to run the battery down! So, I switched Mobile Network back on. Ended up putting the phone back on the charger at 62 hours. No, that's not a typo: sixty-two hours.

In both of those cases, the phone was mostly used in a "3 or 4 bars" EVDO signal area (best signal -73 dBm); presumably staying in touch with the tower was not costing me much battery.

I guess the point is that in a weak signal area - where the phone is forced to boost its signal to maximum transmit power, or it is toggling back and forth between EVDO and RTT - it is easy to demonstrate that using the radio will cost you battery life. But that's nothing new - the same thing is true with voice service only.

It is overly simplistic to think that you can wander all over creation and always observe the same battery life with your cell phone; on the other hand, if you are aware of these kinds of behaviors, you can certainly adopt habits which will vastly improve time between charges - for instance putting the phone into Airplane mode when you know the phone will be unattended for long stretches of time, or toggling the WiFi on only when it's needed.

eu1
Agreed 100%. Mobile phones as you said are designed to adjust power depending on the signal strength. When I was in the Dominican Republic (rediculous roaming charges FYI, I thought verizon had a good relationship with claro? w/e). I stayed in a concrete building in a pretty rural area, ive never seen my battery die that fast yet carrying it with me in the open it lasted longer....power adjustment IMO is a good and a bad thing, good in that your phone can adapt to even the worst conditions for RF penetration, bad that it LOVES to waste battery and just create more noise. I toggle wifi back and forth like crazy and people think I'm crazy for checking my phone like that but sometimes I need my phone to last from like 7AM - 9PM at night with no charge and that's barely attainable even with toggling airplane mode/wifi.

Upvote 0
This is very true on the iPhone as well. The advantage the phones have though, is they can use Edge (2.5g) which doesn't burn as much as much as 3g.

Idealy for me, 3g mobile should be a speed-booster. The little red button you only press when you need it. I think i should be able to have 3g turned off, and still get e-mails. just when im ready to browze, i'd switch on the red button.

Upvote 0
This is very true on the iPhone as well. The advantage the phones have though, is they can use Edge (2.5g) which doesn't burn as much as much as 3g.

Idealy for me, 3g mobile should be a speed-booster. The little red button you only press when you need it. I think i should be able to have 3g turned off, and still get e-mails. just when im ready to browze, i'd switch on the red button.

The difference between 3G (EVDO) and 1xRTT on phones like the droid is minimal, I tested it out and I really didn't save too much battery. On the iphone, 3G is a totally different radio (hence early troubles with vertical handoffs between the two networks). WCDMA on the iphone uses a wider bandwidth than cdma2000 on the droid so it needs more battery but has faster data rates. I wish it were different for verizon/the droid, I can handle EDGE (really 2.75G) but 1xRTT can get tedious for anything other than email if you have anything less than solid connectivity. And you can turn evdo off, dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info and click cdma only. Yes I know its a pain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones