• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Network won't turn back on!

hurley710

Feb 16, 2010
Ohio
In order to conserve battery life, I am in the habit of turning off my mobile network whenever I'm not using it. At home, I have mobile network off, and wi-fi enabled. Over the past several days, I notice that when I try to toggle mobile network to on, it doesn't work. After going in to settings, for mobile network, it says Turning on... After restarting my phone, mobile network always turn on successfully. Why is this!!!

Do you use Locale or Spare Parts? I had a setting for a while in Locale that turned off my mobile network, and I forgot and it would not let me turn it on outside of Locale... really threw me for a few days.

Also, I've heard of people having problems with Spare Parts if they turn off mobile, it needs to be turned back on through Spare Parts. So if you had that app or any other app that could switch it off and maybe uninstalled it or stopped using it, you will have to use that same app to turn it back on. So I hear...

Upvote 0
In order to conserve battery life, I am in the habit of turning off my mobile network whenever I'm not using it. At home, I have mobile network off, and wi-fi enabled. Over the past several days, I notice that when I try to toggle mobile network to on, it doesn't work. After going in to settings, for mobile network, it says Turning on... After restarting my phone, mobile network always turn on successfully. Why is this!!!

I have this exact problem,

I like having the mobile network widget on my home screen so i can easily turn it off to conserve battery. I dont need it at home or at work.
But about 75% of the time, it will not turn on.
However, if i go into the settings, i dont have any problems there.

I tried looked of network widgets in the market, but after downloading a couple, they didn't quite do what I needed.

Does anyone know of a good widget to turn mobile networking on and off?

Or even better, does anyone know of a fix for the mobile widget?

Running stock 1.5. And have rebooted phone many times.

Upvote 0
i use the mobile network widget on 1.5 and sometimes it wont work, i just hold the end button and and goto the bottom and turn mobile network on. that should work, actually, i know it will work. then every time after it happens, just do the same thing, it only takes like 2 seconds longer than clicking the widget, which isnt a huge burden

Upvote 0
Over the yrs I have owned a Palm Zire, Palm TX, Ipaq Windows mobile, BB Storm2, and now the HTC Eris. With out a doubt the Palms run a lot smoother with virtually no problems but they were not phones.
I have experienced the same problems as you, also sometimes when I turn on the GPS with the widget then turn it off it still shows the little icon at the top showing it still on. I look at the GPS in settings and it shows it off but the icon at the top of the home screen the icon is still there showing it's on. When I turn it off then turn it on all is well.
I wonder, do the Palm phones run smoothly?

Upvote 0
Ah, now I remember. HTC widget had the same problem as well where it would stop responding. Man. Forgot.

I had this experience on 1.5 as well; it would happen occasionally. I would toggle airplane mode on and off, and then the HTC "mobile network" widget would work again. I suppose that toggling WiFi on and off might work too. For whatever reason, it seemed that the problem with the widgets involved the state of both the WiFi and mobile network state.

eu1

Upvote 0
Over the yrs I have owned a Palm Zire, Palm TX, Ipaq Windows mobile, BB Storm2, and now the HTC Eris. With out a doubt the Palms run a lot smoother with virtually no problems but they were not phones.
I have experienced the same problems as you, also sometimes when I turn on the GPS with the widget then turn it off it still shows the little icon at the top showing it still on. I look at the GPS in settings and it shows it off but the icon at the top of the home screen the icon is still there showing it's on. When I turn it off then turn it on all is well.
I wonder, do the Palm phones run smoothly?

Palm ftw! I still love the old tungsten but I fear palms days are numbered. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to overclock by program on this phone without hacking? Good ole days. Never had a treo but I guess they crashed a little more often then their pda counterparts. I just bluetoothed tetherd mine with razr and had the best of both worlds except for texting where treos ruled for a while.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones