1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Mobile networks and WiFi problem

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile with Android 4.3 installed. I have bad service in my house, so my phone is constantly searching for service and draining TONS of battery, but I can send messages through WiFi, so I can still use the phone. My question is if there is some type of widget or a setting that I can use to turn off the mobile network without turning off WiFi so I can still make calls and send texts. I tried just turning on airplane mode and enabling WiFi, but I still can't sent texts or make calls because airplane mode turned that off.

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi and Welcome to the forums.

If you turn off the mobile network you cannot make phone calls or texts (sms) because they use the mobile network. You must be sending wifi messages using some other app/service.

You could try (over wifi) hangouts, viber, tango, voxer skype or other similar app but the recipient will need the same app installed

Roger

3. DodgeBungalow

DodgeBungalow Lurker
    None

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi, I am the OP I made an account to reply to your post. With the Galaxy S3, you can use WiFi to make phone calls and send texts if you enable a setting called 'Wi-Fi Calling', which uses wifi to make calls and send texts if wifi is available. I use this because I have poor cellular connection in my house, but my phone still searches for cellular network even though Wi-Fi calling is on. My question was if I could turn off the cellular network without turning off the Wi-Fi calling feature, so that I can still send messages and make phone calls when in wifi without my phone losing battery so quickly. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.