1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Mobile to mobile minutes on nexus with google voice question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MisterB, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2009
    I have a Nexus s on Sprint. I have friends on Sprint that have the plan that includes unlimited mobile to mobile minutes. Since I converted my sprint number to a google voice number, is this going to screw things up and charge my friends out of their regular minutes, instead of out of their unlimited mobile to mobile bucket? Boy, if that's the case, what a mess and an oversight on Sprint's part

Advertisement

2. bamhm182

bamhm182 Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Male
    I too am wondering this, hopefully someone will be able to answer this for us. I'm also wondering if when I call people, does it count for me as landline minutes or sprint-to-sprint minutes?

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    I dont know for sure I don't work for Sprint. But I can tell you that Mobile to Mobile min are the same even if you convert your number to google voice. Your number is still a mobile phone number your just porting it over to google service. And a Landline call is still a landline if the number is tied to a landline. It's like this you can't port your mobile number to your landline and you can't port your mobile number to your landline. I think........

4. bamhm182

bamhm182 Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Male
    I just thought of a way to find out. I'll check my minutes, I have had gv installed since I got this phone, if I have no sprint-to-sprint minutes used, gv must count as a landline.

EDIT: Nevermind, it doesn't break down mobile-to-mobile vs mobile-to-landline minutes.... One thing I did notice though is under the breakdown of our bill, it said "google voice - included" so Sprint knows that I've got GV activated. I'm pretty sure that means it should be included as mobile-to-mobile minutes all the time....

5. aaron3315

aaron3315 Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    When reading your post, I was about to respond and tell you that I would be very surprised if your friends got charged those minutes instead of them being counted as mobile to mobile, but I decided to search it out first to verify. I was stunned when I found this on google's support page:

"How does this affect my Sprint Phone Bill?

It doesn

6. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2009

7. aaron3315

aaron3315 Member
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL

okay, so if I am understanding you right, then this is what you did....You were using a phone number (let's say 555-555-5555) already on your sprint account. When you got the nexus, your sprint 555-555-5555 number became your google voice number as well? If this is what you did, then there will be no issues with the mobile to mobile....

There are two options with google voice. You can either use your Sprint number for your phone and google voice, or you can use your google voice number instead for your phone. So, if your Sprint number was 555-555-5555 and your google voice number was 666-666-6666, you could install google voice on your phone and have your google number display for all of your calls/texts. This would allow you to keep your actual sprint number anonymous. If you are doing this, then your friends would see your google voice number (666-666-6666) instead of your Sprint number. The problem with this option is that your friends account are no longer seeing your number as a sprint mobile but instead as a google number which means that they would be using regular minutes though you would be using mobile to mobile since sprint would recognize that you were calling a mobile phone. However, if you installed google voice and decided to use your current sprint number for it, then your friends will still see you as a sprint number though it is still going through google.

Does this make sense?

8. gabbott

gabbott Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    I did the same as you (made my sprint number my GV number) and it has been this way since April. As far as I can tell, with this setup, it has changed nothing as far as sprint mobile to mobile as far as my calls and for people that call me.

Tags: