• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[MOD]App2External_SD (Fixed Duplicate files)

I stumbled across this forum in hopes of increasing my storage space with the help of my microSD. So here's my first forum post.

I've already rooted my phone, have superSU,
Used link2SD which helped at first, it linked some of the large file apps making space but I've run into the problem where it says I have space free but won't download or update apps due to "Insufficient Storage". Even on apps like facebook.

Now for the irony, as I try to install this program uni init v 1.0 as an apk, it tells me that "Universal init.d.support could not be installed. Free up some space and try again."
I dont understand, I've got 450+ mb free. As i clear space for the uni-init.d program it wont let me reinstall them due to insufficient space.
Could it be something to do with Link2SD?
Idk what to do... It seemed to work for others. I like this phone, but it's storage makes me want to mercilessly beat people on the sidewalk with the phone.

V 4.1.2, LG optimus F3, Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0
Has anyone had success with this on V6?? i was on v5, and it worked great.. now on v6 i have duplicates of everything. its terrible.

I tried it with v6 and did not notice any issues, but I did not run it but a day or two. Mainly just curious on how it worked.

Not sure if it matters but I ran after receiving v6 via OTA. I also have F3 manufactured in Korea.

Out of the box v6 may behave differently but not sure.

Upvote 0
Well the fix got rid of the duplicate files...but unfortunately for me overall the mod still won't work. (E.g. I have "130MB" app space remaining and it won't let me install Facebook or any other app that is <30MB).

Hi, did you get to fix the annoying message of insufficient storage available? I get to the point where my Total Space is my SD Card but I still have the message when I try to upgrade or install applications.

Thanks,

Juan

Upvote 0
For some reason this method doesn't exactly fix the issue of apps installing to the data partition, which is what the phone's original sdcard0 partition shares with. Newly installed apps show up in the /data/app/ directory. However, large games (example: Dodonpachi Resurrection) install into the /mnt/asec/ directory and read the swapped SD card space as being available to download extra data to. Not sure what's going on there, but if it were possible to force all apps to install to that directory (it seems it's only for encrypted apps?) we could finally make complete use of our microSD card space for installing apps.

Upvote 0
I'm very interested to see something that *actually* works, as I consistently still get the "insufficient space" warning... just trying to install an icon pack I get this now, even though I've removed almost all my apps. Strange. I've read some things on XDA about logs being a point of contention, but all my log folders--e.g., /data/logs--are empty.

Upvote 0
Kinda new to all this, so please bear with me. I can't even get past the first step because the file won't open as a regular apk? I have ROM Toolbox Lite installed and it happens to be the only app that opens it with. But it just runs the phone into recovery.

Factory Resetted my phone to see if it would fix the problem but no, it wont let me open the .apk file at all.

Upvote 0
i seem to be failing here somewhere. the script seems to be running as my phone tells me that my 32 gig sdcard is the internal, and the 1.24 gig internal is the external... but my apps are still installing to the phone, not the SDcard. so now, i try to install, say, angry birds, and it gives me the "manage applications" popup, saying it's full.

or does this still require the 32gig be partitioned and use link2sd?

Upvote 0
i seem to be failing here somewhere. the script seems to be running as my phone tells me that my 32 gig sdcard is the internal, and the 1.24 gig internal is the external... but my apps are still installing to the phone, not the SDcard. so now, i try to install, say, angry birds, and it gives me the "manage applications" popup, saying it's full.

Apps still install on the phone, but data and obb files stay on the sd card. You still need to partion your sd card and use link2sd.

Upvote 0
I have 32 gb and i just split it mostly 50/50 and for the most part i dont get "insufficient memory" message as long as go link them and i havent tried linking link2sd seems like i saw somewhere not to link it along with your supersu app (whichever one you are using) and smanager, but dont remember where could have been this thread

Upvote 0
thank you so much for this ....i was having samsung admire flashbacks till i figured this out and followed it right the first time..

only problem is...why can i only use 18 from a 32 gig sd? ...im greatful i have more than before...im just wondering what that's about?

maybe it was my goofy partition i used aparted and did a 22/10 split with the right settings .... did i not need to partition it at all?

Upvote 0
Quick question, folks...

This script swaps /storage/external_SD and /storage/sdcard0, where--originally--/storage/external_SD is one's microSD card and /storage/sdcard0 is the emulated internal storage; correct?

If that's the case, what is still being installed to /storage/external_SD which is--due to the script--the severely limited internal storage that Android should understand as an external sdcard? I have "Internal" as where everything should install, but am still filling-up my pseudo-external_SD...

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I think I got this to work. I followed the steps and my storage showed the larger sd card as my internal storage like in the OPs picture.

However, when I install facebook, the real internal storage is decreased. Furthermore, when I open facebook for the first time, the internal storage is decreased further. This also happened for pinterest.

I guess it was stated here that this only puts the data on the external storage, not the app. Seemed like a really silly solution. Then I kept reading and realized everyone was using link2sd with this. I've done link2sd before and don't want to do it again. So after trying several things I ran into app2sd
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd) and that has allowed me to move apps such as facebook to the external sd. The only drawback is that it won't let me move any apps that came with the stock firmware such as gmail, hangouts, etc... Which I believe link2sd will allow. So that means I can only have abot 550 MB free on my internal sd card while someone on link2sd may have close to 1gig free. But in both cases, I believe the free space should never shrink. It's only day 1, so if I run into any issues I will try to come back and update this post.

So in summary I would recommend what I did: Get root with saferoot. Erase external sdcard from phone settings. Apply this hack. Download app2sd.

Upvote 0
This did not seem to work for me, still showed the tiny phone storage

Yup. Not to mention I've had programs
crash with this mod. Better to stick with making a bigger partition for Link2SD to play with (like around 5 Gb or more). That app links data to ext4, which makes this mod obsolete IMHO.

Reactions: LogosA
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones