• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD]GPU Mod

lMonsterl

Android Expert
Jul 18, 2011
U.S.
Experimental- DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST PLEASE

Results may vary.. This has been tested on other phones but not this one

My benchmark went up 500

Removes CPU rendering. Instead uses GPU rendering.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Using Root Explorer:
Go to /system/lib/egl/
Mount RW
Long click on egl.cfg
open with text editor
delete the first line so the second is now on the first line. Save and exit
In the same folder delete: libGLES_android.so
Mount RO
REBOOT

Expanded on from earlier this month (http://androidforums.com/marquee-all-things-root/509961-benchmarks.html#post4174856)

April 4, 2012:
shot_000048.png

How the?? Lol...

Monster what have you done to get your 3d scores so high

experimenting with libGLES_android.so

NO USB PLUGGED IN.
Look at the 3D differences

Before:
shot_000077.png

After:
shot_000078.png

MORE INFORMATION: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1104420.html
TWEAKS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=16833651#post16833651

After testing this mod, i have found that this is a trick i learned about over a month ago, out was even mentioned in a few post on this forum, in no way am i trying to discredit stones work, believe me it it's all greatly appreciated, but i have been using this trick for a while now and it does provide a slight boost, but.nothing mind blowing, the true way to get this phone to perform up to all of our standards is to figure out how to modify the phones interaction with the digital signal processor (dsp)(co processor). Once that is figured out than we can truly realize this phones potential, i am currently heavy into deep reach trying to figure this out any help will be greatly appreciated

Upvote 0
After testing this mod, i have found that this is a trick i learned about over a month ago, out was even mentioned in a few post on this forum, in no way am i trying to discredit stones work, believe me it it's all greatly appreciated, but i have been using this trick for a while now and it does provide a slight boost, but.nothing mind blowing, the true way to get this phone to perform up to all of our standards is to figure out how to modify the phones interaction with the digital signal processor (dsp)(co processor). Once that is figured out than we can truly realize this phones potential, i am currently heavy into deep reach trying to figure this out any help will be greatly appreciated

It was never mentioned here. Find it so I can give credit.

If it was in here this thread would have been posted a while ago.

Maybe u saw it somewhere else..

Upvote 0
Hmm, I'm still getting a substantial performance boost when plugged into USB

Hmmm... I'm not getting any boost at all. I did the manual edits mentioned in post #1 and have been spending the last hour trying to figure out what I did wrong. Monster, are the libraries (in /system/lib/egl) in your ROM anything different than the stock ZVC version (I'm using stock)? Here are the files in my /system/lib/egl (after deleting the libGLES_android library):

egl.cfg (first line removed)
libEGL_POWERRVR_SGX530_125.so
libGLESv1_CM_POWERRVR_SGX530_125.so
libGLESv2_POWERRVR_SGX530_125.so

Reboot, clear cache/dalvik-cache, still no go. Plugging it into the PC and the performance boost is there.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... I'm not getting any boost at all. I did the manual edits mentioned in post #1 and have been spending the last hour trying to figure out what I did wrong. Monster, are the libraries (in /system/lib/egl) in your ROM anything different than the stock ZVC version (I'm using stock)? Here are the files in my /system/lib/egl (after deleting the libGLES_android library):

egl.cfg (first line removed)
libEGL_POWERRVR_SGX530_125.so
libGLESv1_CM_POWERRVR_SGX530_125.so
libGLESv2_POWERRVR_SGX530_125.so

Reboot, clear cache/dalvik-cache, still no go. Plugging it into the PC and the performance boost is there.

No the files are the same. looks like we need to keep digging for more

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones