• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD] HQ Camera, 1080p 40Mbps

EarlyMon

The PearlyMon
Jun 10, 2010
New Mexico, USA
As found at [MOD] HQ Camera - xda-developers

Not my work but very interesting.

Requires Class 6 or better sd card if using external storage.

Check thread for installation instructions and rom compatibility.

Adds toggles for shutter sound and geotagging.

Reduced jpeg compression, said to go as high as 5 MB for an 8 MP shot; stock limit is 2 MB.

30 FPS video recording cap. Bluray is 24. ;) :)

I know, we all prefer 60 fps. Recording caps are likely limited in the kernel, so until they release source...

Always make a nandroid backup before installing new or modified system components.

This is no exception. The installer is still somewhat under construction. Works for many no problem, some troubleshooting required for others.

Have you had a chance to try the video!?

I really haven't but while someone was claiming that it couldn't make a difference because of the bitrate being only 6 Mbps, I swung around in the office and immediately got 12 Mbps. So, that's not nothing, and I anticipate the next time I record the little ones, it ought to be a lot smoother.

I think we may need to wait for a kernel mod before things can really open up (and lift the 30 fps cap and get us to 60, and with 40 Mbps released there as well, no reason why we couldn't).

Don't know if the still camera interests you but did you see my post in the Images thread?

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/555778-images-taken-your-evo-4g-lte-5.html#post4575792

Read the text to see what you're looking at, you may be surprised. :)

Upvote 0
I really haven't but while someone was claiming that it couldn't make a difference because of the bitrate being only 6 Mbps, I swung around in the office and immediately got 12 Mbps. So, that's not nothing, and I anticipate the next time I record the little ones, it ought to be a lot smoother.

I think we may need to wait for a kernel mod before things can really open up (and lift the 30 fps cap and get us to 60, and with 40 Mbps released there as well, no reason why we couldn't).

Don't know if the still camera interests you but did you see my post in the Images thread?

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/555778-images-taken-your-evo-4g-lte-5.html#post4575792

Read the text to see what you're looking at, you may be surprised. :)

Wow....that's what that Mod for still allow you to do!?

Upvote 0
Will this be ok on Meanrom?

Do I just do a normal backup in TWRP beforehand?

Yes, please do a normal nandroid backup in TWRP first.

There were some with installer issues earlier so the dev updated the installer. You should be able to just flash this like any update to MeanRom but if trouble happens, your nandroid will save the day. :)

Upvote 0
Just one last thing, will I need to reinstall when I update the ROM?

Depends on the update method. If Mikey releases a patch for previous Meanies, maybe not, if he requires a wipe/re-flash, then definitely yes.

Only a matter of time before this is a standard feature in nearly all roms, honestly.

Reactions: EngineofRuin
Upvote 0
how do i install, im running on mac. does that make a difference?

Not a problem.

You'll need to be fully rooted with the latest TWRP recovery.

From there, make a nandroid backup, download the zip file from the link above to your /sdcard (internal) or /sdcard2 (external), then use TWRP to flash this mod.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones