• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD] Raise Max Volume on Speaker and Headphones

Vyrus69

Android Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2011
Miami, FL
*****WARNING: THIS WORKS FOR SOME AND DOESN'T WORK FOR OTHERS FOR SOME REASON, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING******

*****WARNING #2: THIS XML FILE WAS PULLED FROM THE METRO 4.4.4 VERSION OF THE PHONE, I'M NOT SURE IF THIS WILL WORK ON THE 4.4.2 TMO VERSION, IF IT DOES FOR ANYONE, LET ME KNOW******

If any of you are like me you reeeeeally hate how low the volume on the phone speaker is, this is a mod to help remedy that and raise the max volume on the phone.

STEPS:
1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FULL R/W ABILITY
2. NAVIGATE TO /SYSTEM/ETC AND LOCATE THE MIXER_PATHS.XML FILE.
3. COPY THE ORIGINAL AND SAVE ON YOUR SD CARD.
4. DOWNLOAD THE MODIFIED MIXER_PATHS.XML FILE HERE OR IF YOU'D LIKE TO DO IT MANUALLY SCROLL DOWN FOR INSTRUCTIONS.
5. PASTE THE XML FILE IN THE SAME /SYSTEM/ETC FOLDER AND FIX PERMISSIONS TO RW-R--R--
6. GO TO /VENDOR/APP AND DELETE ALL DOLBY FILES.
7. REBOOT PHONE AND YOU SHOULD NOTICE MUCH LOUDER VOLUME OUT OF YOUR SPEAKER!
8. ENJOY!​

MANUAL CHANGE:
1. GO TO /SYSTEM/ETC AND LOCATION MIXER_PATHS.XML
2. OPEN FILE USING A TEXT EDITOR OR DOWNLOAD AN XML EDITOR FROM THE PLAY STORE.
3. SCROLL DOWN CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM AND LOOK FOR <PATH NAME="SPEAKER">
4. BELOW IT YOU WILL SEE THIS LINE:
<ctl name="RX3 Digital Volume" value="84" />
5. CHANGE VALUE FROM "84" TO WHATEVER YOU WANT, I RECOMMEND 90 - 95.
6. SCROLL TO THE VERY TOP OF THE SCRIPT AND FIND:
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="84" />
<ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="84" />
<ctl name="RX4 Digital Volume" value="84" />
7. CHANGE ALL OF THESE VALUES TO THE SAME VALUE YOU SET AT BELOW.
8. SAVE CHANGES AND REBOOT.
9. ENJOY!

Just remember playing anything on the phone speaker at super loud volume may blow the speaker so be smart with you volume control.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: FateZero
Upvote 0
Reactions: CYCONUMNUM
Upvote 0
Nope all this does is raise the max volume the phone can go, so you get louder sound from your speakers and headphones.

If someone is on the Tmobile 4.4.2 can you pull your mixer_paths.xml file so that way I can just mod it and upload it for everyone.

I'm going to also take a crack at creating a flashable zip too.

Upvote 0
*****WARNING: THIS WORKS FOR SOME AND DOESN'T WORK FOR OTHERS FOR SOME REASON, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING******

*****WARNING #2: THIS XML FILE WAS PULLED FROM THE METRO 4.4.4 VERSION OF THE PHONE, I'M NOT SURE IF THIS WILL WORK ON THE 4.4.2 TMO VERSION, IF IT DOES FOR ANYONE, LET ME KNOW******

If any of you are like me you reeeeeally hate how low the volume on the phone speaker is, this is a mod to help remedy that and raise the max volume on the phone.

STEPS:
1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FULL R/W ABILITY
2. NAVIGATE TO /SYSTEM/ETC AND LOCATE THE MIXER_PATHS.XML FILE.
3. COPY THE ORIGINAL AND SAVE ON YOUR SD CARD.
4. DOWNLOAD THE MODIFIED MIXER_PATHS.XML FILE HERE OR IF YOU'D LIKE TO DO IT MANUALLY SCROLL DOWN FOR INSTRUCTIONS.
5. PASTE THE XML FILE IN THE SAME /SYSTEM/ETC FOLDER AND FIX PERMISSIONS TO RW-R--R--
6. GO TO /VENDOR/APP AND DELETE ALL DOLBY FILES.
7. REBOOT PHONE AND YOU SHOULD NOTICE MUCH LOUDER VOLUME OUT OF YOUR SPEAKER!
8. ENJOY!​

MANUAL CHANGE:
1. GO TO /SYSTEM/ETC AND LOCATION MIXER_PATHS.XML
2. OPEN FILE USING A TEXT EDITOR OR DOWNLOAD AN XML EDITOR FROM THE PLAY STORE.
3. SCROLL DOWN CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM AND LOOK FOR <PATH NAME="SPEAKER">
4. BELOW IT YOU WILL SEE THIS LINE:
5. CHANGE VALUE FROM "84" TO WHATEVER YOU WANT, I RECOMMEND 90 - 95.
6. SCROLL TO THE VERY TOP OF THE SCRIPT AND FIND:
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="84" />
<ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="84" />
<ctl name="RX4 Digital Volume" value="84" />
7. CHANGE ALL OF THESE VALUES TO THE SAME VALUE YOU SET AT BELOW.
8. SAVE CHANGES AND REBOOT.
9. ENJOY!

Just remember playing anything on the phone speaker at super loud volume may blow the speaker so be smart with you volume control.
Has anyone confirmed this works on T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Yea I've had both work with the file and without it, but remember to make a backup before doing to the change, if it doesn't work for some reason its the only way to get it back.

If someone wants to pull the XML file from the 4.4.2 Tmobile version I'll do the file change and upload it.

I'm also almost done with a flashable zip, but I'm work and my computer won't let me sign the file, have to do it at home.

Reactions: djc7980
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones