• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MOD] Remove Clock in Notification Bar

Fabolous

Superuser
Nov 7, 2009
Illinois
fabdroid.com
batterygone.png

This little mod does exactly as the title says, it removes the clock from the notification bar. This allows for more notifications in the bar, as well as removes a point of redundancy if you have a cool clock widget ;)

Installation Instructions

1. Download file
2. Place on SD card
3a. Install ROM from SDcard (in ROM manager) OR
3b. Install .zip from SDcard (in bootstrap recovery)

Link

For those with white notification bars (the text is black):

http://fabdroid.com/downloads/Fabolous_ClockRM_WhiteBar.zip

For those with black notification bars (the text is white):

http://fabdroid.com/downloads/Fabolous_ClockRM_BlackBar.zip

Fab - This is awesome! Worked like a charm! Is there any chance you would be willing to provide zips for reversing the change if we so desire? I know it is just a tweak in the smali file, but it might be helpful for those that are uncomfortable with the process...

Your call, of course... Thank you for all of your contributions to the android community!!! :D

Upvote 0
batterygone.png

This little mod does exactly as the title says, it removes the clock from the notification bar. This allows for more notifications in the bar, as well as removes a point of redundancy if you have a cool clock widget ;)

Installation Instructions

1. Download file
2. Place on SD card
3a. Install ROM from SDcard (in ROM manager) OR
3b. Install .zip from SDcard (in bootstrap recovery)

Link

For those with white notification bars (the text is black):

http://fabdroid.com/downloads/Fabolous_ClockRM_WhiteBar.zip

For those with black notification bars (the text is white):

http://fabdroid.com/downloads/Fabolous_ClockRM_BlackBar.zip

Thanks Fab! Gotta ask - where'd you get the circular battery indicator or the lockscreen mods?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sweet! Thanks Fab. any way you could "explain" how this is done? I'm trying to learn this stuff bit by bit lol.
edit: i should clarify... by explain, I mean how its actually done, not how to do the update zip part. "the hard way" so to say

theres another thread about it (though im sure there are other ways to get it as well)
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/195790-circle-battery-indicator.html

If I'm going from a battery icon with 20 images to one with more do I need to use the newer stat_sys_battery.xml and stat_sys_battery_charge.xml files to coincide with the new icons?

Upvote 0
Thanks Fab! Gotta ask - where'd you get the circular battery indicator or the lockscreen mods?

That screenshot is of REVOlution for ApeX ;)

If I'm going from a battery icon with 20 images to one with more do I need to use the newer stat_sys_battery.xml and stat_sys_battery_charge.xml files to coincide with the new icons?

Did you get this to work? I was always under the impression that the 10% mod couldn't be done without the source for the framework (which, I guess is out now, but someone smarter than me can figure that out).

Upvote 0
Fab,

I haven't had time to install your rom 'n theme. Hopefully, I'll get to it later today. However, I do want a black notification bar (I don't like white) and that circular battery indicator.

Does the circular indicator come with your rom? If so, will any black notification mod work or is there a specific one I have to use?

TIA
Steven

Upvote 0
That screenshot is of REVOlution for ApeX ;)

Did you get this to work? I was always under the impression that the 10% mod couldn't be done without the source for the framework (which, I guess is out now, but someone smarter than me can figure that out).

I think you can take a stock framework and mod that; I managed to get the 10% icons on zapX's white bar (it was fugly though).

Decompiling/recompiling an already modified framework is the main problem; the 9.png files don't decompile properly without the 9patches. You would need to take a stock framework and incorporate the 10% hack as part of the mod process (which I can't do).

I'm probably wrong but that's my experience so far. :(

Upvote 0
I am using BigDX theme, can I use this zip to remove the clock without losing the rest of the theme in the status bar? Also is there an easy way to remove the battery in the status bar?

That's right, this only removes the clock, doesn't touch the theme at all.

I think you can get rid of the battery by just deleting all the images from framework-res, but don't take my word for it.

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
Fab,

I haven't had time to install your rom 'n theme. Hopefully, I'll get to it later today. However, I do want a black notification bar (I don't like white) and that circular battery indicator.

Does the circular indicator come with your rom? If so, will any black notification mod work or is there a specific one I have to use?

TIA
Steven

Don't answer my question, anybody. :(

Steven storms off in a fit and moves all the DX root threads to the forum trashcan!! ;) :p

It does not come with the ROM, it is part of a theme

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones