• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Mod Request] Pull-down menu text editor

Is there any way to make an app that will change the name on the phone from Verizon Wireless to something else?
Steven gazes intently at Scary, then runs. :p

Steven, LOL...saw your thread and first post late this afternoon...

Never modified my framework-res.apk before--that is, until tonight :D ;) :).

Pretty cool, actually...

Anyway, I assume that this is what you meant:

sa-lockscreen.jpg sa-lockscreen2.jpg

It was relatively straight-forward to do, but it did involve several manual steps (that I think you are pretty-much not interested in).

Not sure about making "an app for that" :p, since there are several, very diverse steps (unpacking the .apk, hex-editing the eri.xml, updating the .apk, backing-up the current .apk, remounting /system for read/write access, updating/replacing the .apk)...all doable, but from what I've read here and the little research I've done, there's already a few apps that do this. But I'll think about it, LOL ;).

Lemme know if you want me to build your own "Steven"-flavored .apk for you to manually push and replace (I believe (although I'm certain bouchigo can correct me and/or verify this) that you are limited to the same number of characters as the string "Verizon Wireless", like " Steven's Phone " unless you recompile the framework-res).

This was kind of fun... Cheers!

Upvote 0
Steven, LOL...saw your thread and first post late this afternoon...

Never modified my framework-res.apk before--that is, until tonight :D ;) :).

Pretty cool, actually...

Anyway, I assume that this is what you meant:

View attachment 19080 View attachment 19081

It was relatively straight-forward to do, but it did involve several manual steps (that I think you are pretty-much not interested in).

Not sure about making "an app for that" :p, since there are several, very diverse steps (unpacking the .apk, hex-editing the eri.xml, updating the .apk, backing-up the current .apk, remounting /system for read/write access, updating/replacing the .apk)...all doable, but from what I've read here and the little research I've done, there's already a few apps that do this. But I'll think about it, LOL ;).

Lemme know if you want me to build your own "Steven"-flavored .apk for you to manually push and replace (I believe (although I'm certain bouchigo can correct me and/or verify this) that you are limited to the same number of characters as the string "Verizon Wireless", like " [COLOR="Blue"]Steven's Phone[/COLOR] " unless you recompile the framework-res).

This was kind of fun... Cheers!

Yup, you are correct on the number of characters.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones