• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Modern Combat 2 iphone vs. android.

Ussrbuddy

May 26, 2011
Just downloaded Modern Combat 2 on my Droid X. I first found out about the game after playing it on my brother in law's iphone. But I'm a bit disappointed with the Android version of the game. The major difference is that Android doesn't allow you to play it with the gyroscope control option where you get to move the phone itself to aim. Instead I'm stuck having to drag my finger across the screen (not nearly as fun). Also the graphics appeared a little better on the iphone.

Aren't Android phones supposed to have the faster processors and more ram. What's going on with Gameloft? Why aren't we getting the same quality games? Is the iphone really more capable? And why the hell is it that Modern Combat 2 came out for Iphone first? Doesn't android control more of the market now?

We have a couple of unreal engine based games, Dungeon Defenders and Monster Madness(Tegra 2 only), both are a bit crap in comparison to infinity blade though.

As for why iPhone is still getting them first and higher quality versions, it probably has something to do with fragmentation of Android hardware and the fact that iPhone users buy more apps than Android users so it's less attractive for developers.

But I agree with you, I think Gameloft are rushing out versions for each new phone or hardware variation as fast as they can with little regard to quality, Brothers In Arms 2 looks like crap on my galaxy S II and it's the most powerful phone available.

Upvote 0
I hope the new Tegra 2 chipsets are going to change up the odds a bit. Nvidia needs to start making a bunch of games for androids to catch up to the iphone. Otherwise, if the trend continues it might make me think twice about getting another android when I upgrade.

Gameloft is just wetting there feet with the android. They need to jump completely in and stop treating androids like they are second rate.

Upvote 0
I hope the new Tegra 2 chipsets are going to change up the odds a bit. Nvidia needs to start making a bunch of games for androids to catch up to the iphone. Otherwise, if the trend continues it might make me think twice about getting another android when I upgrade.

Gameloft is just wetting there feet with the android. They need to jump completely in and stop treating androids like they are second rate.

Tegra 2 isn't helping matters, Galaxy S ii and HTC Sensation are more powerful but can't run these games, android would be better off without nvidia, almost all these Tegra 2 games would have been released regardless of nvidias involvement.

Upvote 0

They have 33 games for Android, not sure if I consider that just wetting their feet.

I would say developers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Epic and PopCap need to do more with Android.

But when I look at my list of best games of 2010 and compare it to the list I have made for 2011, 2011 already is much better and were not even halfway through the year. It's getting better all the time.

I've seen Modern Combat 2 on a Droid X and it does not look as good as the Galaxy S version. If your a gamer, make sure you do some research before buying your next phone.

Upvote 0
They have 33 games for Android, not sure if I consider that just wetting their feet.

I think about 14 are available for my Galaxy S II and most are older titles, Gameloft need to stop using different compression formats for each GPU, theres one standard format they all support so they should just use that one.

Same goes for all developers, it's taking them to long to update games for new devices when theres no reason for this, these versions are not even as good as the older versions.

Upvote 0
I think GameLoft deliberately make their games run on only a few handsets to try to stop wide spread piracy. Unfortunately, this means my copy of Fast 5 doesn't work (I selected Galaxy S thinking it included the SGS2) and I can't get Settlers HD, which I'd love to try. I wish they'd stop this policy but at least their other policies (1 download, 1 device) have gone and they're doing more Android stuff than EA and the like. Even EA's games accessible through their downloader don't work.

The fragmentation is probably the main thing, although GameLoft actually embrace this. Android users tend to spend less, but with twice the market share that must more than even it out.

Upvote 0
I think GameLoft deliberately make their games run on only a few handsets to try to stop wide spread piracy. Unfortunately, this means my copy of Fast 5 doesn't work (I selected Galaxy S thinking it included the SGS2) and I can't get Settlers HD, which I'd love to try. I wish they'd stop this policy but at least their other policies (1 download, 1 device) have gone and they're doing more Android stuff than EA and the like. Even EA's games accessible through their downloader don't work.

The fragmentation is probably the main thing, although GameLoft actually embrace this. Android users tend to spend less, but with twice the market share that must more than even it out.

Install Chainfire3D and use the PowerVR plugin and see if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones