1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Modified My Samsung Cover

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FitchVA, Jan 14, 2013.

1. FitchVA

FitchVA Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    The first thing I purchased for my Note 2 was a case. I was always disappointed with how the bezel around the edge of my Galaxy Nexus had the paint chipped away after little to no abuse. I wanted to make sure that this didn't happen with my new phone.

That being said, I was never super happy with the case's look/finish. I'm pleased with the protection and coverage (luckily I haven't tested out it's drop protection :D ). When I had the phone on my desk and tried to swipe the screen, I would just start sliding the phone around on the desktop. This also led to small scuffs/scratches on the glossy back. Also, in certain light, they textured sides looked to be almost a light blue/grey in color which didn't look all that good IMO against the glossy black back.

Before pics:
    [​IMG]

with flash (over exaggerates the color and texture difference)
    [​IMG]

All taped up. Make sure to tape up under the lip. I used a bent piece of metal as a holding stick so I could move the cover around to get coverage on the back, sides, and face.
    [​IMG]

Enter the Plasti Dip:
    [​IMG]

After first light coat:
    [​IMG]

After some dry time:
    [​IMG]

2nd coat:
    [​IMG]

after dry time:
    [​IMG]

3rd coat (heavy coat):
    [​IMG]

after dry time:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out, I didn't get the face/lip nearest the earpiece good enough. From looking online, I saw/read where this PlastiDip stuff doesn't bond to the surface and can be pealed off at any time. That's one of the reasons I felt so comfortable using this stuff on my case. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't come off of the textured sides, but I got to test it out.

I was tempted to just respray over the light area, but I had been using the phone for about a day before I noticed. I didn't want to risk having some dirt/oil/contaminate on it, so I went to peel it up and start over:

[​IMG]

Turns out, the lines in the case make it come off in sections. I ended up leaving the Plasti-Dip covering the old gloss sections. It feels better in the hands this way and it still keeps the phone firmly in place when swiping the screen while sitting on a hard/slick surface.

It also blends in better in color and texture (this was taken after I peeled away the Plasti Dip from the sides)
    [​IMG]

Advertisement

2. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

Jul 30, 2010
    Good use of PlastiDip! I assume this is original Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Protective Cover+ case, although I remember they only had it in black/white/pink?

3. FitchVA

FitchVA Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Yes, this is the one direct from Samsung. This is their black version. But to me, the soft sides look more blue/grey to me. The color difference bothered me when it was next to the gloss black back. But now that I have peeled off the plasti dip around the sides so only the gloss back is covered in the dip, I don't mind the contrast.

That being said, I'll probably peel off the back and re-coat the entire case again (but with 4 or 5 coats this time).

My fiance has the pink cover. I'm going to coat that in the clear version of plasti dip for her when she gets back from Malaysia. I'll post pics when I do.

4. Samsmalls

Samsmalls Member
    None

Oct 1, 2011
  5. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Nice! I always love seeing custom modifications.

6. FitchVA

FitchVA Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks! When I respray, I'm thinking about putting an Andy the Android sticker down first and pull it up after I spray it to leave a glossy Andy on the back.

7. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    My Verizon leather (or faux, whichever) case doesn't slide around... :)

8. Lennatron

Lennatron Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Male
    College Student
    PA
    Very cool. Liking your creativity :)

9. nizmoz

nizmoz Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Lighter coats of plastidip will yield smoother look and less textured. Don't go heavy and do five coats. Very popular on car items.

10. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Male
    Garmin Tech support
    Kansas
    I've plasti dipped my rims, but never thought about a phone case lol. Looks good.

11. FitchVA

FitchVA Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Yeah, that's where I messed up a little bit. I started to get concerned after the 3rd coat and I got a little "gun shy" because at that point, I wasn't 100% sure it would peel off of the textured sides. But now that I know it does (after pulling up a corner) I'll do more coats when I re-do it this weekend.

I've got a set of Rubicon wheels on my Cherokee that I want to shoot with PlastiDip. It's a white XJ and I thought it'd always look killer with gun metal gray wheels but I never could work up the nerve to do it. But once it gets warmer, I'm going to get some cans of the gun metal finish and shoot my wheels.

12. HTTR

HTTR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Male
    Virginia
    I have a buddy that does truck beds (liners). Just for kicks, I may take one of my old cases and have him spray the outside. Will post some pics.

13. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    I don't think PlastiDip will last very long on a phone case. It works great on things you don't touch on a daily bases, but with a phone case, I think the layer will peel off within a few weeks.

And to Veritas, on rims?? :p Really? Does it last through 1 or 2 car wash? Or do you just redo them every month?

14. FitchVA

FitchVA Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    i'll post back with how it's holding up on the phone

for the car/vehicle - it'll hold up. i've been reading over this page (they have a good youtube channel as well) https://www.dipyourcar.com/

15. nizmoz

nizmoz Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Had it on my Grill for 6 months, on my car, holding up fine. It's stronger than you think.

16. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    I may actually do this for all the gril pieces on my car. This will last way longer than flat black paint (which doesn't last very long on grill pieces). Just have to find some time to finally bring my car in to the shop to have the foglights fixed also.

17. nizmoz

nizmoz Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Before:

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

drexappeal likes this.
  18. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None