• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Modifying/Editing .apk files?

jcj77d

Jan 20, 2010
I am wondering if there is a way to modify or edit a .apk file or files inside an .apk file, & then be able to repack/compress the .apk to be able to put back on phone.

1. can this be done
2. what do i need
3. how is it done.

Im asking b/c I have a few game apps that have some of the files (i assume, they are jpg, or png files) dont fit my screen right, they are too big & are partly cut off, so i want to resize them & put them back on my phone.

any ideas?

ok i edited one of my apk's on my pc using winzip to open it, (i changed a few png files to fit my screen), & when i rezipped it, & renamed it back to an apk file, & put it back on my phone.
now when i went to "view" the apk before reinstalling it, there were doubles of each file in the apk, so i checked it on my pc & there were only single files in the apk.

so why does it double my files in the apk when i load it back on my phone?

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks

Upvote 0
i got the editing down, & the resigning the apk too, just worried about the app, b/c its a paid app that i paid for & it gets regular updates.

after editing & resigning the app, & putting it back in the /data/app-private, my phone doesnt recognize the app, but it does if I put the original app back?

any ideas?

Upvote 0
Did you manage to install the app? If not check out the link above it might help you.

Also I'm afraid you've got a decision to make-
If your "new look" app gets regular updates, then the files you edited are going to be overwritten and your back to square one again in terms of how it looks
Or
You don't update and save yourself some time editing files whenever there's an update available.
Decisions, decisions :thinking:

Upvote 0
Did you manage to install the app? If not check out the link above it might help you.

Also I'm afraid you've got a decision to make-
If your "new look" app gets regular updates, then the files you edited are going to be overwritten and your back to square one again in terms of how it looks
Or
You don't update and save yourself some time editing files whenever there's an update available.
Decisions, decisions :thinking:
i did get it edited, & resigned, but it wont install, says "cant install on this phone".

i dont mind editing it @ every update, if it would install & be able to update itself, & still be a live app over the market

Upvote 0
It can be done following the guide i posted in the link above, here's the proof:-

Also are you signing manually and not auotomatic, that caught me out.

Attachments

• CAP201005261819.jpg
    CAP201005261819.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
Have you stated which build the apk can be installed on?
no, how do i do that, i figured since the orginal apk works fine, & all i did was edit a few png files, that the edited apk would work...

It can be done following the guide i posted in the link above, here's the proof:-

Also are you signing manually and not auotomatic, that caught me out.
i know it can be done, im not doubting that, Im not sure, im using signapk to resign the apk files.

Upvote 0
I am wondering if there is a way to modify or edit a .apk file or files inside an .apk file, & then be able to repack/compress the .apk to be able to put back on phone.

1. can this be done
2. what do i need
3. how is it done.

Im asking b/c I have a few game apps that have some of the files (i assume, they are jpg, or png files) dont fit my screen right, they are too big & are partly cut off, so i want to resize them & put them back on my phone.

any ideas?
Try out APK Edit, Simply edit your apk files :)
2dcix54.jpg

Reactions: jcj77d
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones