• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Modifying Libwebcore.so causing phone stuck on reboot

ibnturab

Mar 26, 2010
Hello,

I have a rooted behold 2 [stock] and when I push libwebcore.so into system/lib , the phone hangs after I reboot. I have tried it with a couple of different libwebcore.so files [one from android 1.5 and 2.1] with the same outcome. It sounds like the system is checking for corrupt files or so when it boots and doesn't go any further if its numbers don't match up. Any ideas ?

The reason I'm trying to do this is that i want to be able to read arabic properly on webpages. I have already installed the arabic font [thanks to BH_Man] and all the characters are displayed. However, the browser renders the order of the letters backward [from left to right instead of the opposite].

I'm not the great BH_MAN, but I do have experience with linux(sys admin here). I have two guesses. 1) the init script for android may be checking version numbers or 2) whatever depends on libwebcore.so may be compiled against a particular version number. I doubt android has the ldd command, and I dont know about busybox, but that could tell you what libraries a program is linked against and if it cant find them.

A possible solution would be to get the source of libwebcore, make sure its the right version number, and recompile it with the changes you need. Or if its simply making sure extra library components are needed, you could possibly drop in the object files and make sure they are linked in when the .so library gets created.

Someone who spends more type hacking android could give a better answer but those are my ideas on it.

Upvote 0
Thanks yatimameiji ,

unfortunately my skills are below novice when it comes to computer language/commands. I was just reading the forums where rooted mytouch, nexus, and galaxy i5700 users were able to get this to work on their devices by simply dropping the files in their respective locations. I'm not sure why the behold 2 is locked down the way it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones