• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moment or wait for what's next in-line.

Eric-VTX

Jan 17, 2010
MA
Hi,
I'm new here and been here to hear most you? So I've got about a week left into my contract and was wondering how everyone feels about their moment, is it still up to par with the new ones out with other networks?
I like the moment but feel new ones could be down the road and not sure to dive in now or wait? I've been really excited to get the moment, but with all these rumor mills with HTC, "Supersonic" LG, Samsung...and new Android phones coming, just not sure what to do?:thinking:

If you want a nice powerful phone now id get the moment. If you want to wait to see if the specs end up bein nice enough and you feel like waiting then wait for the lg or the next htc(theres no release date yet so that can be a 2-6month wait at least) but i honestly cant give a str8 answer yet since the specs have not been released. I honestly couldn't get anything without a 800mhz processor or higher after having a phone with 1.

Upvote 0
You can always wait, or just go get it. I chose to get it, because waiting gets old. And if you get the Moment, you'll start the clock onto your next 1 year upgrade by being a Premier customer.

So live life now and go get it. You won't regret it.

Or just wait...for something to be announced, then another 3-4 months until it's on sale, and then another 3-4 months until all the initial bugs die down. By that time you would have enjoyed your Samsung Moment and almost ready for the next phone upgrade any way. You decide.

To me it is senseless to wait because of the long cycles involved.

Upvote 0
Before the cluster!@#$ that is the cl14 update, I would have said go for it. Now I couldn't in good conscience recommend this phone. It's not that this is a bad phone, but the support for it is questionable at best. I would either wait and see if Sprint/Samsung get their act together or consider a phone from another manufacturer.
What's wrong with the update? :thinking:

Upvote 0
What's wrong with the update? :thinking:

Service center applied updates are soo 1999 and most service centers won't/can't do it (and may lie about why). Because this is a low volume selling phone, Sprint/Samsung is getting away with it. If this were even a slightly higher profile phone they would be getting slammed over this update implementation. Even with its easy fail activesync connections, WM phones have had do it yourself upgrades for years. WebOS has had 4 complete major updates of 130+mb done completely OTA. I also doubt this upgrade was any more significant than those pushed to the Droid/Eris/Hero. What exactly is the problem with this phone that makes it so much harder for its manufacturer to upgrade than just about any other smartphone made this decade?

Upvote 0
thanks! everyone for your inputs! But I do sgree Androidspcs. i'm one to live now, but do hesitant to go and get it and find out a new comes out a month later after i can't return for a different one? I also been trying to stay away from any sprint stores cause I will most likely get the moment!
One question? If did get it now would it come with recent update that just came out? Or will I need to mention it to them? Anybody know of someone that just bought one recently and what was the process about the update?
thanks,

Upvote 0
i love my moment, its a great phone, especially after the update. but i get serious phone envy when messing with my roommate's nexus one. i'm sure the envy will be far lessened after we get 2.1, although, who knows what the nexus will be running by the time we get it:eek:

Cool how much envy is it? Like in comparison do you feel the moment is up to par with N1? or does N1 blow the doors of the moment?

Upvote 0
Cool how much envy is it? Like in comparison do you feel the moment is up to par with N1? or does N1 blow the doors of the moment?

well, i mean, to be honest, if you look at the specs of the n1, there is no competition. that snapdragon processor really snaps, the screen is amazing, call quality is great, etc. but i feel like after the update, my moment is very comparable in performance ( something i would not have said last week). the n1 is faster, but not by so much that it blows the moment away. the screen has higher resolution, but doesn't look that much better than my phone. the call quality is better, but i feel like my speaker quality is better. and i feel like the things that i envy most, such as google voice search, interactive screen displays, etc, are things that the moment will be capable of after it gets 2.1. then again, the n1 is google supported directly, so it's nice in that it doesn't have to wait for htc or any of the carriers for updates. i think the biggest selling points for me on the moment are the pullout keyboard, which i love cus i hate virtual keys, the price ($100, can't go wrong), and the sprint plan that's just a way better deal than any other carrier hands down. while the nexus one is great, it costs much more (i guess you get what you pay for though) and i couldn't deal with not having a hard keyboard, or having to go to att or tmobile, both of which i have been with and hate.

so there are my two cents. hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I would say that the answer to your question depends on a few things...

How important to you is a physical keyboard? To me, it's very important, which is why I went with the moment, even if it's not quite as "elegant" looking as the Hero on Sprint (or Eris on Verizon). I liked the keyboard on the Moment much better than I liked the keyboard on the DROID.

I really liked the AMOLED screen on the moment, when compared to other phones. Surprisingly, even compared to the high-res screen on the DROID. I've never felt that the screen on the Moment is too low res. It works just fine for a phone.

The Nexus One doesn't have a physical keyboard. It's design makes it look a little like the Hero, only a little bigger. The screen on the N1 is amazing. High-res AMOLED. w00t!

One down side to the Nexus One is that 3G is only available right now on TMobile. On AT&T, speeds are limited their EDGE network. This will probably change at some point in the near future, but it's a little disappointing.

If you need a phone now... there are many great devices available. I usually suggest you go to the store and play with them. See how they feel in your hand, and how you like the interface, since even on Android, some manufacturers put their own interfaces on them.

If you don't NEED a phone right now... sitting tight a few months will give you even more options. If you thought computers moved fast... phones are moving even faster right now. Something better is always just around the corner. At some point, you just have to decide to jump in.

-SF

Upvote 0
If you are waiting for something better you'll be waiting forever. I waited 9 months before getting my Core 2 Quad wondering if something better was going to come out and when I finally said 'I'm sick of waiting' they released the Core i7 not but 2 months after. Sure, I've got 4 cores running 4.1GHz each but there is better that could be had if I'd waited.

Stop waiting and just get what you want. When a year has passed see what phone is out there and upgrade again. Good thing about being only a year out is that your phone is still worth a hundred or so bucks so it cushions the blow of a $350 upgrade.

Upvote 0
N1 is nice, but thanks to sprint you can wait and get the HTC Supersonic.

4.3" Amoled screen
1 GZ snapdragon
2.1 Android with SENSE UI
3G/4G Wimax
etc..etc...

Actually the sprint hero with 2.1 is pretty much on par with the N1 in every way, especially with Sense UI. But this supersonic will make the N1 old news.

Upvote 0
thanks to all of you! i'm a week from feb 1st, when i'm in title for my new upgrade. so what ever comes from here till then...I think i will jump into it and i agree why wait? thanks for all your input! and will take more in there's any. But does someone know if i was to get the moment now will it have its recent update? or do i need tell them there's an update for that phone? anyone here work for sprint that could answer that for me? greatly appreciated!!!

Upvote 0
yeah, apps running faster and smoother. transistions and navigation being snappier. Media looking a lot nicer. Text and graphics looking sharper. Keyboards being easier to use due to better spacing. Yeah, that's all meaningless.

You made the phone comparison, not me.If you want to add stipulations to it you change the argument. You didn't qualify it with anything else. So mentioning a phone that hasn't come to fruition (because there's always something better on the horizon) or different carriers changes the argument. So hahahaha right back.... :shake:

And sorry, but none of these new phones are phones first. If they were, it wouldn't take Sense to put a T9 dialer on it, call waiting would be handled much better and so on.

Upvote 0
yeah, apps running faster and smoother. transistions and navigation being snappier. Media looking a lot nicer. Text and graphics looking sharper. Keyboards being easier to use due to better spacing. Yeah, that's all meaningless.

You made the phone comparison, not me.If you want to add stipulations to it you change the argument. You didn't qualify it with anything else. So mentioning a phone that hasn't come to fruition (because there's always something better on the horizon) or different carriers changes the argument. So hahahaha right back.... :shake:

And sorry, but none of these new phones are phones first. If they were, it wouldn't take Sense to put a T9 dialer on it, call waiting would be handled much better and so on.

You obviously have no clue, both running 2.1 look extremely close in appearance. Except one has Sense UI and the other doesn't. You might want to actually SEE a hero running 2.1 before you speak on it.

Upvote 0
Have you seen a stock(non rooted) hero running 2.1? Or are we trying to compare a rooted hero that's been stripped down and optimized running 2.1 to a stock n1? just asking since I don't know what I'm talking about :)

Ummm stock/rooted, the point is LIKE I SAID, the hero running 2.1 is on par to the N1. Was not talking about stock, because Android is designed for customization. I don't know many people who stay stock with android phones but to each his own.

But to my point, their performance is similar running the same software. Now all that other stock BS you talking, ok.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones