1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MONO sound only, on fm radio

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Antares99, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Antares99

Antares99 Lurker

My galaxy s3 plays mono only in FM radio mode. It is not the headphones as it is mono with all headphones and speakers. Everything else is stereo. There are no mono/stereo settings in the radio. I cannot believe Samsung would make such a silly mistake with this Very expensive phone. Surely at least some of the 10 million galaxy customers have noticed this?????? I mean MONO in the 21st Century? Anyone know of a fix? HELP!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Which carrier do you have? Or what app are you using? I have the S3 through Sprint and can't find a FM Radio app. I was going to pull it up and see if it was different for me or if I could find the settings.

3. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast

The international model has the FM antenna in it. Our US models omitted that feature. :(

ndh777 likes this.
  4. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert

Oh lol thanks.

To OP, sorry, can't help ya.

5. VK3CRG

VK3CRG Lurker

Yep I most certainly noticed it. Only mono audio.

I had hoped that I could just go into the radio app menu and select FM Stereo but alas as you've found - the option is not there.

I'm assuming it's a hardware issue in that the FM radio decoder chip (or part of the chip that may have a multi-function within the handset) does not have the 19 KHz pilot tone decoder and required stereo demultiplexer / demodulator. The phone obviously has a stereo headphone amplifier. Maybe to keep the phone as sleek as possible - they decided to ditch the FM stereo function.

I agree however, that it's disappointing.

Almost as annoying as no stereo, is when you record the radio using the FM Radio App, the volume is set and you cannot adjust it! That is - if the audio coming out of the earphones is too loud for your ears - TOO BAD!

Unlike the rest of the phone, the FM radio functionality is cheap 'n' nasty!

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews