• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lurker
Mar 27, 2012
Was looking around at the plan costs and things like that for the Note... essentially how much are you guys paying for the Note on ATT
I think the most reasonable plan was the nationwide 450 for like 40 bucks a month..+ data/messaging ...

Im coming from a grandfathered unlimited data plan iPhone 4....was paying about 88 or so a month... so it would be safe to assume i'd pay the same while maintaining that data plan?
Would I save any money just buying the Note upfront? (are the data/messaging still the same plans/prices if you buy it no commitment?)

Thanks

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan on all 5 of my lines. Family Messaging with free mobile-to-mobile (even off network) and even though we have changed phones more than some people change undies, our price plan has never changed.

My wife went from iPhone 3 to iPhone 4 to Android 4g and now Android 4G LTE and not once has the price changed. Just the SKU on what the account is marked with.

Granted, our mobile bill is over $365/mo for all 5 lines :eek:, but it has been that way for years.

Also to note, one reason our bill is higher than other family plans is that each of the 5 lines have individual unlimited data plans, not a "shared pool" data plan, so we each get metered separately, which is good as well are all data hogs. :p

Upvote 0
Was looking around at the plan costs and things like that for the Note... essentially how much are you guys paying for the Note on ATT
I think the most reasonable plan was the nationwide 450 for like 40 bucks a month..+ data/messaging ...

Im coming from a grandfathered unlimited data plan iPhone 4....was paying about 88 or so a month... so it would be safe to assume i'd pay the same while maintaining that data plan?
Would I save any money just buying the Note upfront? (are the data/messaging still the same plans/prices if you buy it no commitment?)

Thanks

This is what I'm on too. Same cost as what you seem to be expecting. Comes to like low-mid $90's after taxes, tags, and other miscellany.

-Ryan

Upvote 0
So as far as just going to buy the phone outright doesn't do much other than the flexibility to get another phone whenever I wanted to?

Yeah I was just confused because they were telling me this whole junk about some kind of data plan thats 30 bucks or something? LOL
I'm assuming she was trying to tell me I'd be on some kind of prepaid plan if I were to buy the phone straight up haha

Upvote 0
So as far as just going to buy the phone outright doesn't do much other than the flexibility to get another phone whenever I wanted to?

Yeah I was just confused because they were telling me this whole junk about some kind of data plan thats 30 bucks or something? LOL
I'm assuming she was trying to tell me I'd be on some kind of prepaid plan if I were to buy the phone straight up haha

Right, if you buy an unlocked phone, you can use it virtually however, and almost wherever and still be able to upgrade whenever you want. <-- What I'm referring to here is buying the phone on eBay or somewhere else; not from the carrier, because I'm not sure that a carrier would even sell the phone straight away off contract, though they might; never looked into that myself due to perceived cost.

If you buy one from ATT or any other carrier, you can get it for relatively cheap ($250-$300 versus $600-$700 for an unlocked Note) because the carriers subsidize the cost of the phone which they cover by whacking you over the head monthly with their ridiculous fees and such.

Here's the breakdown of my monthly setup-

450 min (same as you said below): $40
Unlimited text/messaging: $20
3GB data plan: $30

The next lower data plan is useless because its only 300MB per month and only saves you $10 off my plan listed above!!! To put 300MB in perspective, if you stream about half an hour of music a day (lets say using Pandora or Google Music, or what have you), you'll burn 50-100MB daily. Multiply that x30 for a full month, and you'd be foolish not to at least start at the 3GB level. Also, if you want to go with 5GB, it's like $20 per month more than my plan, but truth is, if you have WiFi at home (and maybe work, which I have both; lucky me!), then 3GB ought to be more than sufficient. I have never once exceeded 2.7GB in a month going back to Dec 2010, but again this is because 80% or better of my life is spent on WiFi (which doesn;t count against your data) and I am what I'd consider to be a "moderate level" data user, not someone who lives on the phone streaming Netflix from dawn to dusk.

So YMMV, but that's my story.

-Ryan

Upvote 0
Right, if you buy an unlocked phone, you can use it virtually however, and almost wherever and still be able to upgrade whenever you want. <-- What I'm referring to here is buying the phone on eBay or somewhere else; not from the carrier, because I'm not sure that a carrier would even sell the phone straight away off contract, though they might; never looked into that myself due to perceived cost.

If you buy one from ATT or any other carrier, you can get it for relatively cheap ($250-$300 versus $600-$700 for an unlocked Note) because the carriers subsidize the cost of the phone which they cover by whacking you over the head monthly with their ridiculous fees and such.

They will sell it off contract (Mine was $650+$65 tax = $715 total). No fees for moving to an LTE plan and no activation charges and the like. To have it unlocked, I called Customer Service from the store, the sales rep verified it was un-subsidized and unlocked it promptly.

Now, this will NOT work with all phones. eg the Skyrocket. they will not unlock it for you for up to or beyond 6 months from the release date. This is because they have an "exclusive rights" contract on this device with the mfg. Meaning you can't get this on any other carrier and they will not unlock it for free during this time.

The Note, however, is excluded from this since there is also and international version.

Also, paying full out for a phone (no matter where you got it), this will NOT reset your contract and make you wait another year for an upgrade. Your upgrade date will stay the same.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
What app, and is it on the Market (err, Play Store)?

I'd like to kick it around. Saving $20 off my ATT bill sounds good.

Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

I use the app called pinger textfree. You can send text and pictures, been using it for a few months and works pretty good. You do setup an account which gives you a phone number that you will need to give people so they can text you, not a big deal. I like it.

Reactions: ryandelman
Upvote 0
Just got my straight talk sim. Awesome!!!!! I set my APN'S as per the instructions that came with it and everything works great!!!!!!

My internet is fast my signal is great I figured it would be since it runs on AT&T's network. The only difference is now instead of paying $136 a month for unlimited talk and text with 3gigs of data I pay $45 for unlimited everything

Upvote 0
Just got my straight talk sim. Awesome!!!!! I set my APN'S as per the instructions that came with it and everything works great!!!!!!

My internet is fast my signal is great I figured it would be since it runs on AT&T's network. The only difference is now instead of paying $136 a month for unlimited talk and text with 3gigs of data I pay $45 for unlimited everything

just be careful, there are tons of horror stories about ST shutting
you down and canceling your account if you abuse their data cap.

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
just be careful, there are tons of horror stories about ST shutting
you down and canceling your account if you abuse their data cap.

Thanks. I rarely hit 2Gb but it is nice to be paying less and to have unlimited if needed. I am usually in a wifi environment. I have heard those stories also and I also have heard a lot of people say that it is not true. I figured I would bite the bullet and call Straight Talk and ask. Pretty much you're not going to run into any problem with 5 or less Gb a month. If you constantly use around 8 to 10 for months in a row YOU MIGHT be contacted.

Upvote 0
I have the unlimited data, 450 a month minute plan, unlimited talk to any mobile, unlimited text, insurance (waste of money) and road side. 87.99 a month with taxes and fees. I've been with AT&T since they were bell communications. So I get a small discount. But the best is I never have to wait for an upgrade. If I want it I just go in and get upgrade price. I was going to switch to Verizon when At&T throttled me a few months ago but it was going to put my bill over 140.00 a month. Not worth it. I just make sure I use wifi as much as possible.

Upvote 0
I have the unlimited data, 450 a month minute plan, unlimited talk to any mobile, unlimited text, insurance (waste of money) and road side. 87.99 a month with taxes and fees. I've been with AT&T since they were bell communications. So I get a small discount. But the best is I never have to wait for an upgrade. If I want it I just go in and get upgrade price. I was going to switch to Verizon when At&T throttled me a few months ago but it was going to put my bill over 140.00 a month. Not worth it. I just make sure I use wifi as much as possible.

How much did you use when you got throttled? Just curious. I also have the unlimited data plan, 450 minutes, unlimited talk and texts. I usually pay between $102 and $104 per month. I typically use anywhere from 2-4GB of data per month. I have heard throttling starts around 5gb a month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones