1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mopho NFC using google wallet.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WifiMaxed, Dec 30, 2011.

1. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Android Enthusiast

Anyone testing this out and using this? I just.bought the wifie a photon for Xmas and wanted to hear from peeps using this. I saw person at McDonald's and Starbucks paying with there mobile. I know MoPho can do this and wanted to get some feed back.
    Ty, in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

The PHOTON does not have NFC capability.To date,the only phone that has NFC (U.S.) is the GALAXY NEXUS & possibly the HUAWEI GLORY(MERCURY w/CRICKET) may have it,but,that's the only phones that currently have it.

EDIT: I just read that the HTC AMAZE & SAMSUNG GALAXY S II SKYROCKET also have NFC capability,my mistake.I'm still sticking to part of my original statement that the PHOTON doesn't have NFC capability.Too bad it doesn't,perhaps having that feature would hasten an ICS upgrade from MOTOROLA/SPRINT.

If the people you saw were using their phones (PHOTON) to complete a transaction, I imagine they were using an app from the ANDROID MARKET to complete the transaction.
    Even w/o NFC,this is still a powerhouse of a phone,I'd take this over the GALAXY NEXUS,w/o a doubt.

WifiMaxed likes this.
  3. WifiMaxed

KOLIO,
    Thanks for the info. CNET vid review on MoPho got me then. It was a old review and mentioned NFC in it. Oh well I agree with you MoPho is a excellent phone and still feel it was good investment. Thanks again.

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

No problem.I've been misled on a phone purchase in the past myself & learned the hard way($249 for the MOTOROLA HINT).
    AAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK!

Nothing against MOTOROLA,my fault for not doing my homework & for being impatient,& overpaying BIG TIME for the phone.

Even the "experts" on the various websites(C-NET,PHONE ARENA,etc....) get it wrong on specs occasionally.
    With the PHOTON,I was very patient(against my inner instincts),& probably went on-line a couple dozen times for phones & service before deciding that both SPRINT & the PHOTON were a perfect fit for my situation.

So,don't knock yourself too hard if you feel that you may have made a mistake in getting the PHOTON,especially if you were eyeing the NFC capability as one of the major selling points.Almost everyone here probably has had a similar experience with a touch of 'buyer's remorse'.
    In the world of ANDROID,it's practically impossible to not experience this to one degree or another,as new models are churned out on an almost weekly basis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SPRINT have an NFC capable ANDROID in their line-up in the near future (3 mo. or so).You should be able to sell your PHOTON for a decent price & apply the $ towards the purchase.

WifiMaxed likes this.
  5. WifiMaxed

MoPho main selling point for me is it's versatility, tegra2, and kickstand. Coming from a EVO 4g kickstand was a must and thus sealed the deal for me. I think I'll be holding on to my MoPho :) It's been good thus far (knocking on wood) and been pleased w/performance. No NFC is not a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the advice

6. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    VIP Member

I wonder if the app that the person was probably using was KeyRing which allows you to use your phone to enter a bar code into the scanner. But to pay for the stuff, that is news to me.

TS

7. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

The only other possibly is the person was part of a soak test for an SD Card that has NFC capabilities built-in.

VISA had teamed up w/someone in the 2nd half of last year to explore the possibility,& a Chinese manufacturer had presented one at CES 2012(I believe) that has NFC + 8GB of storage.

Of course,neither are currently on the market,but,I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see this(w/a lawsuit from APPLE to follow soon thereafter,NO DOUBT).

EDIT:

A company named MONETO has also teamed up w/a credit card company(MASTERCARD) to make an SD CARD w/NFC capabilities,see 1/12/2012 PHANDROID NEWS for the related article.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews