• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help More about Verizon, than the Nexus, but...

MRW1215

Mar 18, 2011
Okay, here's the problem. I ordered a Galaxy Nexus online on the 15th (I bought it for full retail price, since I'm already on a two year contract), got it on the 19th. Over the weekend, I noticed that I have a crack under my screen, across the top right corner. It's strange, because you can almost never see it unless it's at just the right angle, with just the right lighting. You can't feel it, because there's no crack on the surface. It doesn't affect the phone at all right now, but I worry it could worsen in the future, and cause problems. The phone was never dropped, nor has it taken any kind of impact, so I don't think it was anything I did.

So, I had heard that Verizon will typically exchange these as long as you're in the return period. I went to a small location, and the guy looked at it, agreed that there's no way I could've caused damage to it, called a number, and was told to send me to a larger Verizon store where they'd swap it out for me.

I went to the larger location and showed them the phone, but they refused to exchange it because it didn't affect the usability of the phone. They said they could swap it if I paid the restocking fee, but also said that there's a good possibility Verizon could determine that I caused the crack, and would then charge me another $650. I held on to the phone, because there's no way I could afford to pay ANOTHER $650 right now.

I then e-mailed the Verizon online store (where I bought the phone from), and inquired about an exchange. They finally wrote me back this morning, but all they did was tell me about their return policy, without addressing the exchange. I don't want to be without a phone for the few days it would take to return my current one, get a refund, and then order a new one... Not to mention, I didn't save the FedEx box (and apparently the return sticker?) it originally came in.

So... any ideas on what to do now?

Definitely call and talk to a CSR. If they insist on not helping you, you could always ask to have it escalated to a manager. If that doesn't work, tell them you're disappointed and will be returning the device, reactivating your old one, and considering leaving Verizon after this poor experience (getting passed around and ultimately refused an exchange). I'm willing to bet they take care of you without you needing to escalate it, but they definitely won't turn you away like the jokers in the corporate store. I swear, if I need help, I don't go to a store. The only thing it's good for, really, is test driving phones and maybe getting accessories.

Upvote 0
Finally got an e-mail reply back from Verizon this afternoon (after I had asked again about an exchange), but all they said was to "Take the phone to any Verizon store and they'll swap it out for you as long as they have it in stock". So, the store tells me they won't exchange it, and the online store tells me to exchange it at a store. That makes total sense, right?

Upvote 0
Heh, I wish I actually had the courage to say that kind of thing to them. What worries me, though, is that they'll just say "That's fine, return it and go back to your old phone", and I... don't want to go back to my old phone, after having the Nexus, lol...
Return policy dates were extended, google that or go to VZW. I hope its for "full purchase price phones", too!

January something.... like the 12th, but don't quote me on that.

Upvote 0
Ok you just paid $650 for a new nexus and it is defective..

That is BS verizon should replace it immediatly

Go in store ask for a new one if they say no ask for a manager. Explain you just bought this less than four days ago.

You could always say that your phone has other issues as well, like it turns off randomly etc.

Dont let them bully you out of the new phone you deserve.

Upvote 0
Last time I had an issue with a phone, they mailed me a new phone along with a self addressed envelope. When I received the new phone, they asked me to mail back the old phone in the envelope they provide with in a week or i get charged for another phone. Since you are apprehensive about being without a phone, this is what i would do.

1. go into the first store (small location) you went to where the guy agreed with you that you did not cause the problem. Ask him to document onto your account that he looked at the phone and the crack is not your fault.

2. call vzw and tell them that u took it to a large store and they gave you a hard time about exchanging it. tell vzw to read the notes in your account about the crack not being your fault and ask them to send you another phone. Once you receive the new phone, you can mail back the cracked phone.

Upvote 0
It is a manufacture defect, go above Verizon and call Samsung's warranty department. I called HTC because my screen was scratched and they wanted to send me a new one. If Verizon won't pay up try that. Otherwise I would try another store.

Interesting idea... Perhaps I'll give Samsung a call if it doesn't pan out with Verizon. Anyone know the number for Samsung I would call to get this sorted out through them?

Anyway, I called the number provided to me in one of the earlier e-mails from Verizon, and basically just said I wanted to exchange my phone for the same model. She didn't ask me why (yet, anyway), but she implied they'd send out a new one and I could send the old one back; I couldn't complete this process, though, because they need to speak to the account holder (which I am not, I'm on a family plan, so...). I don't know if they'll ask for details when the account holder calls in later today, though...

While I was on the phone with them, I did get an e-mail back from Verizon that gave me a phone number to call to "discuss options"; they noted in the e-mail that the return policy doesn't cover cracks...

One disappointing thing, though, is that the girl I talked to said today is my last day for the return policy, so apparently I don't get the extended holiday return period, for whatever reason. :/

Upvote 0
Feeling pretty down, because I pretty much let Verizon screw me... I called, and I kinda sidestepped the "crack" thing, saying that even though I called it that in my e-mails, I don't know what it actually is, and that I just called it that without thinking. She said they'd send out a new one, and I had five days to return the old one. The catch is, they had to charge me for the new one upfront, and she said they'll refund me for the old one once they receive it. So, basically, I already paid for the phone twice... Now I just have to PRAY they refund me for the first one. :/

If they do refund me for the first one, does that mean I'm safe? What I mean is, they wouldn't take it in, refund me for it, then determine later that it's user damage and charge me for it again, would they? That doesn't seem like it'd make sense; I'd imagine they'd assess the phone right away before issuing a refund, and then that'd be the end of it, right?

I sent the old Nexus back already, but I had to pay for shipping myself because I threw out the original shipping box/ return label. They should get it today. What sucks, though, is that I'm without a phone until I get the new one, which won't be until Tuesday... I tried reactivating my Thunderbolt via Verizon's site, but it wants to right away activate the new Nexus I haven't received yet, and won't give me the option to activate any other phone.

Upvote 0
Feeling pretty down, because I pretty much let Verizon screw me... I called, and I kinda sidestepped the "crack" thing, saying that even though I called it that in my e-mails, I don't know what it actually is, and that I just called it that without thinking. She said they'd send out a new one, and I had five days to return the old one. The catch is, they had to charge me for the new one upfront, and she said they'll refund me for the old one once they receive it. So, basically, I already paid for the phone twice... Now I just have to PRAY they refund me for the first one. :/

If they do refund me for the first one, does that mean I'm safe? What I mean is, they wouldn't take it in, refund me for it, then determine later that it's user damage and charge me for it again, would they? That doesn't seem like it'd make sense; I'd imagine they'd assess the phone right away before issuing a refund, and then that'd be the end of it, right?

I sent the old Nexus back already, but I had to pay for shipping myself because I threw out the original shipping box/ return label. They should get it today. What sucks, though, is that I'm without a phone until I get the new one, which won't be until Tuesday... I tried reactivating my Thunderbolt via Verizon's site, but it wants to right away activate the new Nexus I haven't received yet, and won't give me the option to activate any other phone.

It sounds like they do not have a certified like new replacement yet for this phone. Typically they will send one out, overnight, and there is a return label in the box. In fact, they put return labels in just about every order, lol.

So without a CLN option, it sounds like they had to send you "new" stock, which doesn't fall into the typical gratis CLN replacements.

I believe you had this marked as a defect on your account already, so there should be no reason why they charge you.

Have you called or stopped in a store so they can active the TB for a while? I believe that takes a regular sized sim, not a micro like in the SGN.

If they sent you a new sim with the new phone, you have to activate that via phone anyway.

Upvote 0
About how long should I wait before becoming concerned about whether or not I'm getting refunded? It appears they got my shipment early this afternoon, but I haven't been refunded yet. 'Course, I know New Year's weekend is here, but just curious about how long it would take for them to process and issue a refund.

Also, what exactly does the "14-day" return period constitute? What I mean is, does the merchandise actually have to be received by the retailer within those 14 days, or does it just have to be sent back within that 14 day period? Because I sent mine back yesterday, which would be day #14, and I made sure to overnight it so it would be there today; but will they deny it because it arrived on day #15? Although, when the girl I talked to yesterday said they would send me out a new one, she said I had five days to return the old one...

I just hate not knowing what's going on. :/ I hope they communicate to me some how as to what they're going to do... It'd be pretty terrible if they just never say anything to me, and I don't know if I'm getting refunded or not.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure they will refund your money but to be sure, call up 611 and tell them you want to confirm that they received your package and ask about the steps involved to get your refund. The way I look at it is that they cant charge you for 2 phones when they make you return one of them. Especially since you are returning it with in the allowed return period. They just made you pay up front because you are getting a new phone as apposed to a refurbished one. And if you payed with a credit card, you can always stop payment through them.

edit. if verizon cant help you, try samsung http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I515MSAVZW

Upvote 0
Hm... I'm concerned, now, because I see another charge from FedEx on my bank account, for just under the amount it cost to overnight my old phone back to Verizon... Does that mean they sent the old phone back to me for whatever reason, and I had to pay the shipping for that? If so, crap, now I'm going to have to figure out how to get the phone back to Verizon again on time. >_<

Upvote 0
About how long should I wait before becoming concerned about whether or not I'm getting refunded? It appears they got my shipment early this afternoon, but I haven't been refunded yet. 'Course, I know New Year's weekend is here, but just curious about how long it would take for them to process and issue a refund.

Also, what exactly does the "14-day" return period constitute? What I mean is, does the merchandise actually have to be received by the retailer within those 14 days, or does it just have to be sent back within that 14 day period? Because I sent mine back yesterday, which would be day #14, and I made sure to overnight it so it would be there today; but will they deny it because it arrived on day #15? Although, when the girl I talked to yesterday said they would send me out a new one, she said I had five days to return the old one...

I just hate not knowing what's going on. :/ I hope they communicate to me some how as to what they're going to do... It'd be pretty terrible if they just never say anything to me, and I don't know if I'm getting refunded or not.

I had my account credited within 7 days after I sent my defected Incredible 2 back.

reimerj

Upvote 0
Got my new, crack-free Nexus yesterday, but didn't receive my old phone back. Checked my bank account, and I haven't yet been refunded for the original Nexus, but I noticed that FedEx did remove the second charge I had on there... So, not really sure what's going on. Wondering if I should call Verizon about it, or give them some more time yet (since they received it Friday and then went on a three day weekend), and if I call Verizon, I don't know which number to call, or what to even say. @_@

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones