• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More accurate Swyping...

bemaitea

Jul 28, 2010
I've been back and forth between Swype and the multi-touch keyboard since getting my DX.

I've come to the conclusion that Swype is only useful when doing single finger typing. When doing two finger typing, the multi-touch outshines it due to the fact the keys are spready out more.

But for those that do the single finger typing, I've noticed I can get Swype to read my swipes more accurately by simply avoiding straight lines. What I mean, is that the swipe should flow as if you are writing cursive. In this sense, Swype becomes much more fun and accurate. Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but thought I'd share.

Also special note: This phenomena can also be a figment of my imagination :rolleyes: Anyone want to verify?

2naiumg.jpg

I haven't used anything but Swype since I got my DX. I love it not only for the fun, fast ease of use... but because it is so freakin' futuristic!

And over time it seems to get used to my spelling style and finger movements so it actually suggests a lot less now and knows what I'm spelling.

Upvote 0
I haven't used anything but swype to enter text with my X. This really surprised me. I never expected to use this phone mostly in portrait mode.

The one complaint I have is that some words are hidden under words that I really can't see using very often. For instance, I often want to tell my friends about my cool new "app," but I often end up telling them about my cool new "asp." I can't see using the word asp that often, and I'd like to delete it, but I can't because it's not a word I added. The same goes for "pretty" and "piety."

That being said, swype is still the best entry method by far, and it works better the longer the word is. Also, sometimes a word will be really fun to swype out. Try "priority" some time!

Upvote 0
Is there any easy way to close the swype keyboard once it is onscreen? When using the multitouch keyboard, I can just swipe downward anywhere on the keyboard and it will close. Can't figure out how to close the swype keyboard except touching somewhere on the non-keyboard area of the screen, which is not always a good thing. New to swype btw...

Upvote 0
Is there any easy way to close the swype keyboard once it is onscreen? When using the multitouch keyboard, I can just swipe downward anywhere on the keyboard and it will close. Can't figure out how to close the swype keyboard except touching somewhere on the non-keyboard area of the screen, which is not always a good thing. New to swype btw...
Try the "back arrow" key.

Reactions: XBarbarian
Upvote 0
Try the "back arrow" key.

lol, I was looking all over the Swype keyboard until I realized you just mean the physical back button, right?

Also, sometimes when I bring up the Swype keyboard, the Voice input button on the keyboard has a line through it and I am unable to use voice. If I press it, it will just beep at me. But if I use the regular multi-touch keyboard, the voice button works fine. Any ideas what could be going on?

Upvote 0
I love swype for one handed, but mutlitouch for two hand. That being said wish they had the option built into android seeing as how so many other things are effected by the rotation already.

Secondly... things I wish i could see changed in swype.

Double space = "."

When I do hit "." it adds a space and capitalized the next work. Maybe I want to type more then one sentence.

Does anyone's swype vibrate on press work?

Upvote 0
Swype is there so that you can type faster and more easily, but I don't really think it's an excuse to be lazy.

Below are my Swype settings. I haven't changed them yet and they are as they were when I first turned on the phone.
Swype settings

Preferences
Language - "Select Swype language"
US English

Auto-spacing - "Automatically insert spaces between words"
Checked

Auto-capitalization - "Automatically capitalize the first letter of sentence-initial words"
Checked

Word Prediction - "Predict words when typing in Swype"
Unchecked

Enable Tip Indicator - "Turn on flashing indicator for quick help"
Checked

Audio Feedback - "Turn on sounds from Swype"
Checked

Vibrate on keypress
Checked (this one is greyed out for me, probably due to the phone's general settings)

Operation
Display Trace - "How long to show Swype path"
Bar set in the middle (not too short, not too long/default)

Word Choice Window - "How often Word Choice Window displays"
Close to, "Always," but basically at the middle (default)

Speed vs. Accuracy - "How quickly Swype responds to input"
Close to, "Fast Response," but also basically in the middle (default)

Auto-select word after - "Timeout period before automatic selection of 1st word"
10sec

Help
Swype Help - "User manual for Swype"
Tutorial - "Learn Swype in quick steps"

About
Version - "1.55.29.7532"

To change your Swype settings:

Get your keyboard open. I don't think it matters where. Just open your web browser and tap on the address input bar if you like.

If you're in landscape mode, tap on the Swype icon and hold. The settings menu will be brought up. It should be the top leftmost key on your keyboard.

If you're in portrait mode, do the same as you would in landscape mode. The Swype key is at the bottom left instead, however.

Upvote 0
I came from iPhone 3G..had for the full 2 years. Got pretty fast with that soft kb. I also carry a work BB. I am way faster with a multi touch / soft kb, than with BB.

Now enter Swype! Man, loved it within 5 mins! Now, mt txts, etc, are hyper speed..friends are like. 'd00d..slow down..cant keep up with you!" working on sending paragraphs as opposed to the short 1-2 sentences i used to do.... because Swype is so awesome.

I describe it to others as ..."painting words on the screen..."...

Its really like "Minority report" virtual PC in the air, kinda cool!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones