• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More Android slight

pastafarian

Pâtes avec votre foie
Nov 4, 2009
The Sea of Tranquility
I was watching Top Chef last night. Today, I sent this to Bravo TV-
Hi,

Want to know the definition of epic fail? I'm watching Top Chef last night and at the end of the show they say "watch last chance kitchen on your mobile device" and "use our app or go to our site". Since I have my very current near top of the line HTC Evo4G LTE in my hand I think "why not?". I go to the play store to get the app. No app! iOS only. Really? At this point in time you still don't service the DOMINANT mobile OS? OK, I'll go to the (mobile) site with my web browser and "this video will not play on your device". Flash? Never supported by iOS and not supported by Android from 4.0 on. Basically, it seems that you've almost intentionally gone out of your way to exclude the users of an OS that makes up what 60-70% of the mobile market? Do you really think that's a good idea? I certainly don't!
I'm so tired of second class treatment.

Like Tivo, a company I once liked and have been a customer of since 1999. Not only did their Android app lag the iOS version to market by 8 months, but it's inferior in design, features and it's broken. It hasn't ever worked properly with 4.1 (or at all with 4.2) though I'm told a fix is coming later this month, 6-7 months late. The iOS version is regularly updated. Of course, any stuffed shirt executive at Tivo can point to statistics and show how many more people access their iOS app versus Android as a reason to favor support of the iOS version. Conveniently leaving out the fact that the Android version is awful, late and doesn't even work for a significant portion of its intended audience. Arghhhhh!

It's my opinion that if you run a business, offer a mobile app and lack a viable Android version or it lags significantly behind your iOS offering? You're very poor at allocating resources for your mobile presence. It would seem this is true for a significant number of companies.

Yeah it really sucks sometimes since Android has much more market share and we still get treated as second class citizens.

Having recently swtiched from BlackBerry to Android, I have noticed this as well. I was issued an iPad at work and I'm still amazed at the number of apps availabel for it that I can't get on Android.

What are the reasons behind the lack of apps for Android? Worse the lack of functionailty in Android apps compared to iOS apps?

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
These developers make crappy Android apps. On top of making a crappy app, when I complain about their crappy app, they tell me to go to their mobile web site. Then they complain that they don't get many people using their apps. Well, if you make crappy apps and tell people not to use them, no wonder very few people use them.

One benefit of Apple's control over iOS is that apps will not be available on the Apple's app store if the app does not meet certain standards. There are some apps I use on Android whose quality (or lack there of) would not have been available on the app store. Android allows more flexibility for developers of apps. However, too many developers use exercise this flexibility to make apps that are crappy. Some of them have no competition like banking apps. If the banking app sucks, you cannot use a third party app because there will be none.

Upvote 0
Apps available on both platforms (Facebook, Skype, etc) always look and feel so well done in iOS but the android version feels watered down, less functional, and laggy. Never did understand that. Most are unstable vs. iOS offerings. And yes, certain games I like don't exist in Android period (NOVA and Sky Gamblers being two of my favorite franchises)

Upvote 0
Apple pushes one phone at a time, they get on TV and tell you how cool you’ll be when you get one. Android, although a better device, has made it impossible for themselves to prove that, because there is no ‘themslelves.’ There is no equivalent single force, just a hundred different phones from a dozen different carriers pushing a handful of OS levels. That’s a tough hill to climb.

Upvote 0
Apps available on both platforms (Facebook, Skype, etc) always look and feel so well done in iOS but the android version feels watered down, less functional, and laggy. Never did understand that. Most are unstable vs. iOS offerings. And yes, certain games I like don't exist in Android period (NOVA and Sky Gamblers being two of my favorite franchises)

I think both of those games are in Google play..

Upvote 0

NOVA is in the play store, so you couldn't have looked to hard. Just bought NOVA 3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones