1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

More apps not working recently

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattt181, Sep 7, 2017.

1. mattt181

mattt181 Member
    None

Feb 28, 2015
    Male
    As time marches on I am finding that more apps are no longer working with the Android 2.3.3 that Commando C771's are stuck with. Not long ago, both Gas Buddy and Yahoo Mail app stopped working. I like this phone, but need apps to work. What is the best way to get these up and running again......do I need to move up in Android version? If so, how is that accomplished? Thank you.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    This model is six years old now, with 512MB of RAM and 1GB of storage and a 800x400 display running such a dated version of Android it's not surprising that a lot of apps are no longer functional. Hat tip to you for keeping this phone going but my only advice would be to not put the effort in to upgrade it and just retire it (maybe as a media player). Time to move on to something newer.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/casio_g_zone_commando-4550.php

Dannydet and lunatic59 like this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    ^^^ What he said.

Sorry, but as time and technology march forward, the lower spec'ed devices will drop off the compatibility list. I'd also like to point out that Android 2-point-anything is not secure by today's standards.

Dannydet and svim like this.
  4. mattt181

mattt181 Member
    None

Feb 28, 2015
    Male
    Thank you both for your opinion, however, I am looking for answers to the questions that I asked, instead of Captain Obvious info. While moving to a newer phone is the easy way out and what the herd does, I will pass on following the herd. Thank you for repeating the info that I already knew or knew where to find.

Anyone here moved up in Android version? Is rooting the only way to accomplish that?

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK so I get being tactful and up front isn't anything you appreciate, I'll just assume you're already aware that with only 512MB of storage even if you could migrate to a usable version of Android there's not enough space to actually install and use it.

mikedt and Dannydet like this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Captain obvious couldn't find any specific rom's for this device beyond the one being discussed here ... https://androidforums.com/threads/rom-the-casio-c771-redpill-rom.736120/ I have no idea which version of Android that is for and not even sure if the files still exist. It's a three year old thread, after all.

I looked at xda and found precious little except rooting talk, which might be one step closer, but doesn't fix your problem. I looked at Cyanogenmod and LineageOS and there's nothing for Casio phones at all. The problem is that even when this phone was new, there wasn't much developer support for it and everyone (almost) has long moved on. I'm not hopeful that there's much out there at all, and even if you were able move up to another version, it's no guarantee that the apps would be compatible.

Gasbuddy and Yahoo mail both say "varies with device" for version information which makes me think that they've also change the hardware requirements. You could try to track down older, compatible versions of those apps and then turn off updates, but the dev's could easily break those by changing protocols.

It's up to you if you want to put in the legwork and try some or all of this.

Good luck.

mikedt and Dannydet like this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    But it seems with this phone, if you didn't follow with the last of the herd, and last one to leave turn out the light etc, you're left swiveling and completely on your own. So good luck! :thumbsupdroid:

FWIW the only place I ever saw Casio phones was in Japan. I know Casio makes their watches and electronic dictionaries in Zhongshan, musical keyboards in Zhuhai, calculators in Shenzhen, and phones......I don't know at all.

#7 mikedt, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    I had both the C771 and the C811 Commando.
    Development for either was pretty much non existent. CWM recovery was available but no custom Roms. Never was able to find the stock firmware or a way to flash it. There's a few back up zip files made that you could use if you had CWM recovery installed.
    If it ever got stuck on the Verizon red screen of death, that was it. Game over.
    Finding older versions of the apps and turning off auto updates may be your only option.

lunatic59 and mikedt like this.
  9. Willster419

Willster419 The Casio Smartphone Guru

Feb 25, 2012
    Male
    Engineer at Raytheon Missile Systems
    New Hampshire
    If you want to keep using this phone, you can do the following: (needs root)
    Use an sd-ext partition to increase the internal storage up to 128GB
    Use a swap application to increase the virtual memory up to 128GB
    Use google and/or aptoide to find the latest versions of applications that work with android 2.x

The only issue you will run into is that old versions of applications may be shut off and no longer work. That's why i had to move to the C811. I myself don't plan on moving from that until the developers of my favorite apps tell me to.

You could get a C811 for $20-40 on ebay

You can also install a modified boot loader to make it recoverable from the "red screen of death"

Jfalls63 likes this.