• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root More Camera Hope

MikeRL

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2012
Although I have switched to the Nexus 4, I have still stuck around the forums. And while Googling the other day, I believe I have found some positive news for anyone with CM9 on the Triumph.
http://androidcommunity.com/hp-touc...mera-with-latest-cyanogenmod-builds-20121213/
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/12/hp-touchpad-gets-working-camera-in-custom-cyanogenmod-releases/
Seems that the same guy, dorregay, that is working on our camera has fixed the Touchpad's camera. Same situation. No source. No help from the manufacturer. This tells me it is highly likely (no guarantees, though) that our camera can be fixed on ICS with a lot of hard work. g60 hasn't heard from him in weeks, but this must have been what he was doing. Fixing the HP TouchPad once and for all. Now imagine our phone, which I believe is next on his todo list, finally getting a camera. :beer: Party time!

Reactions: Ken2Chill
Wow, great news. I hope to see working CM9 camera soon...even though I may be switching to either the Galaxy SIII or the Note II soon (on sprint lol I hate ATT and Verizon.)

I love my triumph, but CM9 without camera just doesn't cut it for me (it drains the battery too fast on mine so I switched back to MTDev CM7.2) so hopefully he gets it working!

Upvote 0
Just want to mention that he actually had fixed hptp cam before g60 even reached out to him. Sorry to burst bubble. He has done all he can for the triumph. He wrote proper wrappers and patched the errors. The kernel doesnt give camera enough memory to function while keeping system functional.

Cam isn't going to happen. Only person who cared enough about triumph and was advanced enough to even attempt to fix cam was g60. Not to trash chairshot and the other devs.

Upvote 0
Just want to mention that he actually had fixed hptp cam before g60 even reached out to him. Sorry to burst bubble. He has done all he can for the triumph. He wrote proper wrappers and patched the errors. The kernel doesnt give camera enough memory to function while keeping system functional.

Cam isn't going to happen. Only person who cared enough about triumph and was advanced enough to even attempt to fix cam was g60. Not to trash chairshot and the other devs.

How do you know that about the kernel?

Upvote 0
I forgot to say that there are no guarantees. I just thought if he could fix it for the Touchpad, he could fix it for the Triumph. Perhaps there is a way we can reallocate memory to the kernel. I may just be speaking out of my butt, but until g60 and dorregay both say it cannot be fixed, how do we even know for sure it's unfixable. No offense, I just don't want to give up hope yet. If Android is anything like Desktop Linux, can't we just make a swap file? I am not a programmer, but I have some advanced technical knowledge.

Reactions: rebel69ization
Upvote 0
While I am currently not developing for the Triumph I do have some ideas on the kernel and possible fix. I reached out Bsydz so hopefully he can assist me in fixing the abenagiel kernel. If that can be fixed to work with our device there maybe a chance we try the 3gsplit again and possible get the camera working. There is no promises clearly, but something I don't mind spending time on. Just waiting for Bsydz to reply to my email I sent him this AM :D

Upvote 0
While I am currently not developing for the Triumph I do have some ideas on the kernel and possible fix. I reached out Bsydz so hopefully he can assist me in fixing the abenagiel kernel. If that can be fixed to work with our device there maybe a chance we try the 3gsplit again and possible get the camera working. There is no promises clearly, but something I don't mind spending time on. Just waiting for Bsydz to reply to my email I sent him this AM :D
Just got home, I'll look at it in a minute. I was trying to figure out the kernel changes that were made on the touchpad but it had already been updated on the CM side. I'll definitely give it a look over, I get a holiday break after tomorrow. So I should have some time to get some stuff done that I have been meaning to do.

Upvote 0
Well I got all of the video stuff from the 2.6.35.7 kernel worked in to the MTDEV ICS kernel. It took me about a week, on and off, but I got it to build a zImage finally. I worked all the GPU, camera, and a few other things in. If all goes as planned we should be able to use some of the stuff from the X6 ICS to get at least a partially functioning camera. I updated everything camera and GPU related so it may take a minute to figure out what we need to get it working.

I have been having trouble finding who exactly is developing for the X6, and which git to pull, so I can compare files. But I have some code to try and test. If anybody has questions just ask. If you want a copy of the zImage to test some stuff out just let me know. I still have to test it myself, I was just so happy to see the words "zImage is ready", I just had to post.

DISCLAIMER:
Don't get your hopes up yet, there is still a lot of work to be done to get anything working.

Now on to making a CM7 Version!

Upvote 0
Yep. T-Mobile prepaid. I just could not stomach the Triumph's slowness any longer. Mind you that I am not going to buy whatever comes out next year. I tried to get a phone that was built to last. Sure it probably won't be playing Modern Combat 5 on highest settings, but it will work. Also, I really like T Mobile. It's mid range service with a mid range price. I just wanted a phone that wasn't slow as sludge. I will never get any contract plan, ever! Way too much cash. Also, there $40 plan has 5GB of 4G data and unlimited texting with 100 calling minutes. If VM had a decent phone with Jelly Bean on it and didn't jack up their plan rates, I would have stayed. We will see how things are in a year or two. If T-Mobile raises their rates, I would contemplate leaving. And also, I may have left in a way, but I am still hanging around here and updating documentation. I don't want to leave you guys hanging. And I am taking C classes starting in January. Maybe over the summer I can learn Java. If enough people still have this phone, I may even code for it if I can. Trust me, the Nexus 4 has enough support compared to the Triumph. BTW I am writing two additional FAQs (one for stock rooted and another for CM9) and I am planning rebuilding the FAQ design, so hang in there!

Reactions: rebel69ization
Upvote 0
T-Mobile prepaid. . . . $40 plan has 5GB of 4G data and unlimited texting with 100 calling minutes.
I assume you mean $30, not $40. I will probably also go with the T-mobile $30 plan if I ever get fed up with the Triumph, or if it dies. Of course, if we get the camera working in CM9, I'll likely stay longer.

I still have a T-mobile flip phone on the $10/year plan (Pay as you go Gold), and I add another $10 every year to keep it alive, just in case I need it, or if I decide to switch since the account has something like $140 in it.

Upvote 0
Well I got all of the video stuff from the 2.6.35.7 kernel worked in to the MTDEV ICS kernel. It took me about a week, on and off, but I got it to build a zImage finally. I worked all the GPU, camera, and a few other things in. If all goes as planned we should be able to use some of the stuff from the X6 ICS to get at least a partially functioning camera. I updated everything camera and GPU related so it may take a minute to figure out what we need to get it working.

I have been having trouble finding who exactly is developing for the X6, and which git to pull, so I can compare files. But I have some code to try and test. If anybody has questions just ask. If you want a copy of the zImage to test some stuff out just let me know. I still have to test it myself, I was just so happy to see the words "zImage is ready", I just had to post.

DISCLAIMER:
Don't get your hopes up yet, there is still a lot of work to be done to get anything working.

Now on to making a CM7 Version!

Do you have the code up?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones