• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root More cute than clever today

D

Deleted User

So I'm installing clockwork mod (internal version) and in step 2 my PC prompts me to either overwrite or "save both" when I unzip the file to my tablet (K:\). Since I've not copied or backed up either Recovery or Update.zip I choose keep both and they are renamed Recovery(2) and Update(2).zip. [cute moment #1] At step 7 I can't get into CWM after many attempts and 30 min of searching threads for advice. Without anything sensible applying to my situation I deleted the new folder and file and re-renamed the originals back [cute moment #2]. Figuring I may have messed something up I decided to do the reset to defaults (assuming it would be the stock default using the power/volume+) and now I see the CWM screen...hmmm. I knew I didn't have time to finish the process at this point so I left CWM. On the home screen I now have an alert that an update is available (1.1-3588). knowing I've already installed something like this 2 weeks ago when I first got the thing, I searched to see if this was an even newer version that just coincidentally became available. Not seeing any alerts here or on XDA I assumed it was the same and tried to install it. I'm now in a loop of "download-install-apply-full screen image of android guy and ! (see image below)-reboot-update not successful". Can somebody tell me just how cute I am and get me back to being smart and fix this mess?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GdyIAmt71m9vqIiVWQ2O7jqALcJk6MyxwtI9KI3DG3o?feat=directlink

I think I know what's causing your issues.

You said that clockwork installed even after you did a factory reset? But after you did the factory reset, your gtab prompted you that an update was ready for download. And I assume you said yes. When you did that, the update that you downloaded is looking for the stock recovery which you don't have. I think that would explain why you got the error message. If that update didn't mess up your access to clockwork mod, you should be able to just install a custom rom. So try hitting Power volume + and see if you can get into CW. If you can, pick a ROM and follow the instructions in the root thread.

and yes, you are toooo cute. :)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones