• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More intuitive contacts app?

Amrov

Aug 6, 2010
Texas
I am looking for a better contacts app. I have hundreds of contacts and scrolling takes forever. On the Blackberry I could easily hit a key to sort quickly. I can't do that easily on the Droid-at least not with one hand. I haven't seen anything in the market yet that seems to do what I want. Any contacts apps that pull up a virtual keyboard or have alpha tabs? Appreciate suggestions. Thx!

seems to me the above mentioned apps are all Dialer replacements that have a certian level of contact managment. If im not mistaken what you are looking for is more of a robust strictly contacts manager. I too have been on the search for this. I use aTakephone for my Dialer and love it for that perpose but for a contact manager they are all weak. The best I have found for this so far is ePhonebook
Check it out in appbrain or search the market.

For me the search will continue till I score that perfect Palm replacement for this but for now this will do.

Upvote 0
Here's the thing - and I had to do this too: you need to change the paradigm of you are currently using contacts on the phone. Instead of opening the contact apps, use the search button on your phone. Just press search and start typing the contacts name. When you see the person you want, select it & you'll be right in the contact screen where you can place a phone call, email, text.... For me, it's the fastest way to find somebody in contacts & communicate with them, and the closest approximation to searching through contacts on a BB. For this reason, I find the stock dialer just fine, since I don't really initiate that many calls from there. Just my two cents...

Upvote 0
Here's the thing - and I had to do this too: you need to change the paradigm of you are currently using contacts on the phone...

+1

This is a great point.

I almost never use the contact list anymore, in fact, it's no longer on any of my homescreens. I either use vLingo to have it search my contacts, or Google search, or just the phone app with T9.

For people I contact frequently, I use the Starred Items Folder.

jd

Upvote 0
Javid
This of course is correct and efficient but you still need a contact app to do any changes dial a number or interact in any manner. As an SU user of my x10 I have removed all the bloat ware built into the stock os. Now I need to replace the in built contact manager in favor of something more to my liking. This search method is an excellent quick way to get to the contact of choice but with out the manager app of any kind it'll do you no good.

Upvote 0
Agree -- good points. But voice search doesn't work well in a noisy environment or in a meeting (when you want to find a contact but not disturb the group). I actually found FastCall and like it. It sorts all your contacts into alphabetical categories and you hit the letter you want to quickly narrow in on your contact. This is reasonaby close to what the BB does, with nice giant round buttons.

But I'm a huge fan of using the voice feature generally and I rarely type text messages anymore! I also just downloaded Vlingo based on the above suggestion.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones