• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MORE problems with this stupid MXPE

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
My frustrations with this thing's battery have already been made clear before... but now lately it seems like I have yet another piece of frustration to add.

No, it isn't enough how the phone already gets hot enough to be uncomfortable when trying to use it while charging, or how it will refuse to increase in %age while charging from the stupid power bank I had to buy, while all too happily running down the charge in the power bank.

Oh no, that alone couldn't be enough of a problem with this phone. But soon as I actually find an Android game worth trying out in WWE Champions, this thing's just crapping the bed on itself like a suicidal, spoiled brat. It was bad enough in the earlier build(s) when it was constantly freezing up and forcing me to close the task and get auto-penalized when it would finally re-launch properly. Now the thing wants to run at temps at 60C, getting to the point of being uncomfortable to hold it in my hand for play at times, and basically running down the ENTIRE charge within an hour. Best case was from 80 to 15%... most recent case was from 91% to 6... 6%, like it was going to even last a half hour after that!

I don't know what else to do, but I don't get how anyone can stand this phone and then tell me that it's somehow okay that it doesn't have a removable battery. o_O

I will admit the battery life is less than stellar, but I don't see it anywhere near as bad as you... Have you done a cache wipe or tried a factory reset?
I've already wiped cache and Dalvik about four times now. All that does from anything I've seen is make the next reboot take about half an hour, thanks to deodexed ROM; annoying that it's sometimes necessary for certain updates because of Xposed Framework.

A factory reset is only going to just ensure I basically have about two full days of downtime because of having to restore everything, and that despite now offering a way to backup texts and such to Google Drive, SMS Backup and Restore will not restore correctly from an online storage like that (yet). I'd really rather not do that, for obvious reasons. Especially when I've yet to see anything to suggest it's going to help somehow get any kind of improvement on this miserable battery in here. Already having to recharge the stupid thing two to three times a day at this rate. :mad:

Upvote 0
Well, I am not going to get into the whole reset thing with you tehn, seems you have made up your mind and I am not up for an argument... It's your phone and your decision. And I am talking about wiping the cache, NOT dalvik cache, the boot after that should only take a few minutes. Wiping dalvik cache (which is actually ART cache now) would not be of benefit except in very unusual circumstances.

TBH, if the 3 to 3.5 hours of SOT over a normal 16-18 hour day of mixed LTE and WIFi usage is not sufficient for you, it seems you made the wrong choice in a device. If you are getting significantly less than that, then it deserves more in-depth investigation as to WHY you don't get that since it seems to be pretty much the standard from what I have seen (I am very active in multiple forums for this device). I rarely charge more than just overnight and have no problems. I am not saying the battery life is great, even good would be questionable to some people, but if your device is working correctly then it is acceptable in my world.

Upvote 0
Gsam implies a 4 hour average screen time, but that seems entirely wrong, compared to what I actually see.

At the time, the mxpe was the only phone with support for all the carrier bands that also retained an SD card slot. No phones anywhere for any price still will have this with a removable battery though. Even less, a battery that can be replaced with a larger, extended capacity battery. So, I'm stuck with this miserable thing.

Upvote 0
My battery goes from 100% to 50% in 4 hours with airplane made on..... Not happy.
What is the wakelock? It is probably nlpwakelock, meaning you have an app that is requesting location information and not honoring airplane mode. It isn't the phone's fault, it's the app misbehaving. I have been literally working with a forum user on another forum having the exact same issue, but haven't narrowed down what app it is.

BTW, in airplane mode, 2-3% battery drop over 4 hours would be normal, and if you have decent signal the drop is only 1-2% more in normal mode if your apps are not misbehaving. There is little gain to be had by putting it in airplane mode. If I let mine sit overnight and it dozes properly it will lose 5-6% all night on WiFi, and I have never seen it over 10%. TBH, as long as signal is good, this device is very battery friendly with the screen off, probably one of the best devices I've had for sleeping battery usage.

Upvote 0
I've used recovery menu to clear cache and dalvik/ART. I still have my concerns about clearing the data folder, considering that I'm not sure if this is one of those in my image backup that I could restore so easily.

In any case, I don't know what will happen first. Either I get tired of the battery and am in a position to afford to buy a different phone, or it just stops charging and working altogether and have to get one against my will and funds then.

Upvote 0
I don't know how anyone that's actually working out doors can find these kinds of figures acceptable. Only way this could be considered okay is for those who exclusively work at an office within wifi range. I don't have that luxury. Hell, most of the vehicles I use for my job don't even have a cigarette port to plug in, either. Can't really call in case of emergency if the thing is dead within minutes of starting my shift?

I'm quickly finding these figures and estimates to be a total lie based on actual use.
Screenshot_20170307-173831.png
Screenshot_20170307-173817.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones