• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

More Questions than time

FollowingSeas

Dec 20, 2018
Being new to cell phones and Android I have more questions than time left in life. Is there a place I can go to see what all the stuff on the phone does? An example: "Android Accessibility Suite" - What does the App notification provide, Permissions - what does this mean? Permission to run the app...? Goodgle Play movies TV... What is all this stuff and do I need it? Is there a book out? I guess I could type each one in the search bar and find something... HELP

Ask any question you like. That's kinda what we're here for. ;) :)

As far as the "Android Accessibility Suite", it's a collection of apps from Google that make it easier for hearing or vision impaired users to operate an Android device. App notifications vary, but generally they are there to alert you to an event that has recently happened. It could be the receipt of an email or message, or it could be a reminder from your own calendar. You will also get them when you connect to things like local WiFi or your weather app alerts you to changing weather conditions. Most apps have some form of notification.

Permissions ... that's a little more technical. In a nutshell, the Android system is very protective of its services and resources. Apps on the other hand need to access those things to work, but they should only have access to things they really need. For example, a calculator app shouldn't need access to your camera or your contacts list. However, a message app that can take a picture and then send it to someone would need those permissions. In the past it was up to the developer to assign those permissions, which was an all or nothing proposition. Now users can mange those permissions individually, so if you haven't granted an app permission to access something and you try and use the app, it's going to ask you if it's okay.

Most times you can give those apps permission if what it's asking makes sense for what you're doing. Sometimes, however, there are parts of apps that collect data and send them back to a remote server or they use it to force ads on you. If you aren't sure, just ask us and we'll be happy to give you information or advice. :)

Upvote 0
Ask any question you like. That's kinda what we're here for. ;) :)

As far as the "Android Accessibility Suite", it's a collection of apps from Google that make it easier for hearing or vision impaired users to operate an Android device. App notifications vary, but generally they are there to alert you to an event that has recently happened. It could be the receipt of an email or message, or it could be a reminder from your own calendar. You will also get them when you connect to things like local WiFi or your weather app alerts you to changing weather conditions. Most apps have some form of notification.

Permissions ... that's a little more technical. In a nutshell, the Android system is very protective of its services and resources. Apps on the other hand need to access those things to work, but they should only have access to things they really need. For example, a calculator app shouldn't need access to your camera or your contacts list. However, a message app that can take a picture and then send it to someone would need those permissions. In the past it was up to the developer to assign those permissions, which was an all or nothing proposition. Now users can mange those permissions individually, so if you haven't granted an app permission to access something and you try and use the app, it's going to ask you if it's okay.

Most times you can give those apps permission if what it's asking makes sense for what you're doing. Sometimes, however, there are parts of apps that collect data and send them back to a remote server or they use it to force ads on you. If you aren't sure, just ask us and we'll be happy to give you information or advice. :)

Thank you for this very useful information.

Upvote 0
Also, try getting acquainted with Google playstore.... It has all the apps you can think of that you can try out, some are free, some you have to pay for or after a trail period.
The store is safe, all apps are certified by Google. Case in point, if you are not happy with your messaging app, you can install any from the play store and test it. If not happy you can always uninstall it and try another.

Upvote 0
Also, try getting acquainted with Google playstore.... It has all the apps you can think of that you can try out, some are free, some you have to pay for or after a trail period.
The store is safe, all apps are certified by Google. Case in point, if you are not happy with your messaging app, you can install any from the play store and test it. If not happy you can always uninstall it and try another.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will venture into the play store and see what I can use.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

lol i wouldnt say play store is safe as in 100% safe due to just middle of last year they found malware in close 100 or so apps
ps. sry cyber security student here

Upvote 0
lol i wouldnt say play store is safe as in 100% safe due to just middle of last year they found malware in close 100 or so apps
ps. sry cyber security student here

You are certainly correct but as we all known, or should know, nothing is safe once it goes on the computer or cell phone. Anything that leaves our mouth or is typed into a device is accessible to someone else. As the saying goes something like - if you do not want someone else to read or hear it don't write or say it. Have a great day.

Upvote 0
At the end of 2018 there were approximately 2.6 million apps in the play store. If there were 100 apps found with true malware, then that's 0.00038% chance of getting infected if you randomly install apps. That number drops with just your average amount of common sense. So while 100% is not accurate, 99.99962% is spot on. ;)

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
At the end of 2018 there were approximately 2.6 million apps in the play store. If there were 100 apps found with true malware, then that's 0.00038% chance of getting infected if you randomly install apps. That number drops with just your average amount of common sense. So while 100% is not accurate, 99.99962% is spot on.
wink.png

lol still u get the point not completely safe

Upvote 0
lol still u get the point not completely safe

True enough, but considering there's a greater chance of my leg being bitten off by a shark while simultaneously being struck by lightning, I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

FWIW, some of the most tangled up systems I've ever had to troubleshoot were by those who overdo security, or pick malware posing as a security app (not available in the play store) because they've been scared into thinking they needed something they don't.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
True enough, but considering there's a greater chance of my leg being bitten off by a shark while simultaneously being struck by lightning, I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

FWIW, some of the most tangled up systems I've ever had to troubleshoot were by those who overdo security, or pick malware posing as a security app (not available in the play store) because they've been scared into thinking they needed something they don't.

idk about those numbers lol but yea just saying i get it im a cyber security student and i always push security since it make me have a career soon lol

Upvote 0
idk about those numbers lol but yea just saying i get it im a cyber security student and i always push security since it make me have a career soon lol
So you admit that you are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) for the sole purpose of getting a salary. That's fantastic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones