• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *MORE* Reliable root for leakers has been found

I do have USB debugging enabled (and the notification bar says it's working).
I did not unzip the ROM.
I just rebooted both the computer and the phone. I NOW have the phone set to 'charge only' (previously it was set to 'disk drive').
Gave the command adb push EvilEris3.0.zip /sdcard, it tells me the daemon was started successfully and is now just sitting there (going on 5 minutes now).
I KNOW I'm missing something simple...

Upvote 0
I did not unzip the ROM.
I just rebooted both the computer and the phone. I NOW have the phone set to 'charge only' (previously it was set to 'disk drive').
Gave the command adb push EvilEris3.0.zip /sdcard, it tells me the daemon was started successfully and is now just sitting there (going on 5 minutes now).

It takes some time, that file is 111Mb I think. Later when you execute the runindos.bat it even takes longer. Just when you think it's taken too long, it reboots your phone the second time....and you are in recovery.

*EDIT* Did you download the zip file from XDA where it reads "updated files to hack-v3.zip"and unzip that one into your c:\android-sdk-windows\tools directory?

Upvote 0
I'd assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it wouldn't take any longer to move the file by this method that it does to drag and drop it via windows from the computer to the SD Card.

I have to go play husband and take my wife's car in for service, I'll start this again after lunch. Thanks for your help (and you too Scary).

"Patience young mhotovec..yeeees"

yoda.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
bjanow,

You should be able to follow the http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html since you have one of the "golden" :)D) HBOOT versions.
Ok, slow day at the office so here goes. I have a few questions but let me get rooted first. If you know of a thread that goes something like: now that I'm rooted what the heck do I do.. let me know. One question is what is nand backup and another is what's with all the ROMs, how do I install them? Seems like Frisco is having a ball loading 4 or 5 roms / day at times. :eek:

I was actually thinking of encasing this Eris in lucite since it is the golden version but I think I'll just take joy in the fact I never leaked it and it was never updated.

Upvote 0
Ok, slow day at the office so here goes. I have a few questions but let me get rooted first. If you know of a thread that goes something like: now that I'm rooted what the heck do I do.. let me know. One question is what is nand backup and another is what's with all the ROMs, how do I install them? Seems like Frisco is having a ball loading 4 or 5 roms / day at times. :eek:

I was actually thinking of encasing this Eris in lucite since it is the golden version but I think I'll just take joy in the fact I never leaked it and it was never updated.

How about this one?: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/116574-root-best-practices.html

...it doesn't hit all of you questions, but its a good start.

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
This is great news!,

Here's my wacky story,

I got a 3rd Eris refurb replacement, and the second day I had it, hadn't even installed a single app yet, and boom, silent issue, normally I let it go until it happens more and more, but it was an important phone call, and it was the 2nd day!
So I called big red and was very polite to them. Explained whats up. I was offered the moto droid. explained why I didn't want that, and that I had problems with an HTC phone, why not replace it with an HTC phone? - so,
Long story short, they canceled my old contract(free) and opened a new two year, giving me the dInc at the online two year price ($199 after the mail in rebate).
So, I was given the price of the Eris which to them is $199.
Not only did I get an Incredible for basically free, had to front $100, but then get the $100 mail in rebate back so tech. free. AND I got to keep the Eris that produced the silent bug after the day.
SO finally getting to how this befits me.
I was told that I would be receiving the DInc this week. I placed the Eris on Craigslist and ended up selling it that day (yesterday) for $150.
I called big red today to get the FedEx tracking number, just to be told that the CSR was wrong and that it will be shipped by 8/2.
umm, I already sold my Eris.
As a result, they are going to overnight me ANOTHER Eris, will be here tomorrow, to use until I get the DInc, and then send them back this Eris.
So I will be able to root this Eris until I have to send it back to them.
Sorry for the long story, I thought it was interesting.
I basically made $150 to get a DInc lol.
and a free Eris to use until it comes.
- politeness will bring you far in life. Lesson Learned.

Upvote 0
I did not unzip the ROM.

I believe your command should be this:

adb push EvilEris3.0.zip /sdcard/

Upvote 0
This does work and works very quickly. Pretty much everyone is getting root based off this on the first or second try. Maybe 15 mins total to get it done, mine took 4

Agreed. I wasn't speaking in terms of days, but it took about 3-5 minutes to push the zip file, and another 5-7 minutes for the second reboot. Perhaps I should have phrased that differently. Sorry bout that.

Upvote 0
Perhaps someone could give me a helping hand?

I downloaded android-sdk-windows; hack-v4.zip; and Evil Eris 3.0.
I put the hack file contents into the SDK tools folder.

Evil Eris is in my root directory of my SD card.

From the command line, I run:

C:\>cd C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools​

which gets me here:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>​

Since my rom is already on my SD card, I skip the "adb push" step.

I then execute the runindos.bat command and get this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>runindos.bat
error: device not found
"Files copied and permissions set, rebooting HTC Andriod 2.1"
"Your phone will now reboot into normal mode, then reboot into recovery mode. If it does not reboot the second time, wait 10 minutes and manually reboot and begin again."
error: device not found​

The command prompt then hangs. The phone does not reboot.

I've tried this 5 times, both in the "Charge only" and "disk drive" mode. USB debugging is connected.

What am I doing wrong?

Be gentle with me...

Upvote 0
Perhaps someone could give me a helping hand?

I downloaded android-sdk-windows; hack-v4.zip; and Evil Eris 3.0.
I put the hack file contents into the SDK tools folder.

Evil Eris is in my root directory of my SD card.

From the command line, I run:
C:\>cd C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools
which gets me here:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>
Since my rom is already on my SD card, I skip the "adb push" step.

I then execute the runindos.bat command and get this:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools>runindos.bat
"Files copied and permissions set, rebooting HTC Andriod 2.1"
"Your phone will now reboot into normal mode, then reboot into recovery mode. If it does not reboot the second time, wait 10 minutes and manually reboot and begin again."
The command prompt then hangs. The phone does not reboot.

I've tried this 5 times, both in the "Charge only" and "disk drive" mode. USB debugging is connected.

What am I doing wrong?

Be gentle with me...

Not a 2.1 leaker, but it sounds like you haven't yet verified that you have adb / USB connectivity between your phone and your PC?

I.e., if you issue "adb devices" from your Window Command Prompt, do you see your phone's identification number? (don't post it here if you do, it uniquely identified you and your phone).

There's information here http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-troubleshooting-guide-htc-droid-eris.html about how to make sure adb will talk to your phone from your PC.

The easiest thing will probably end-up being to install HTC Sync which does a better job than most in figuring-out and installing the proper USB drivers for your PC (there's a reference in the above link where to obtain this--just scan for "HTC_Sync_2.0.33.exe").

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
OK, back from lunch and here's what happened (for those of you who are waiting with baited breath).

Tried to adb push the Evil Eris zip, gave up after 10 minutes of nothing happening - said screw it and moved the file via windows.
Issued runindos command at 12:49, at 12:54 the softkey lights flashed, at 12:59 I aborted the process.
Rebooted the phone, convinced it to go back into USB debugging mode (it didn't want to at first). At 1:04 issued runindos command, at 1:04 the phone rebooted into recovery mode with all those spiffy commands - wow, root!

Did a nand backup, tried to 'install from zip' the Evil Eris zip and it told me the file was corrupt. Not sure if that's a bad download or because I moved it via Windows (*I* wouldn't think the method of transport would make a difference..)
So I get to mess with how to actually load a new rom, but at least I'm rooted. :)

Upvote 0
OK, back from lunch and here's what happened (for those of you who are waiting with baited breath).

Tried to adb push the Evil Eris zip, gave up after 10 minutes of nothing happening - said screw it and moved the file via windows.
Issued runindos command at 12:49, at 12:54 the softkey lights flashed, at 12:59 I aborted the process.
Rebooted the phone, convinced it to go back into USB debugging mode (it didn't want to at first). At 1:04 issued runindos command, at 1:04 the phone rebooted into recovery mode with all those spiffy commands - wow, root!

Did a nand backup, tried to 'install from zip' the Evil Eris zip and it told me the file was corrupt. Not sure if that's a bad download or because I moved it via Windows (*I* wouldn't think the method of transport would make a difference..)
So I get to mess with how to actually load a new rom, but at least I'm rooted. :)

Welcome aboard, cheif. Nice to hear.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones