1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

More wifi woes!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rik Mayall, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Rik Mayall

Rik Mayall Member

Hi guys nice to meet you all, I'm in Wakefield in the UK and am new here and new to android. This hox is my first smart phone and I love it. I have a question about my WiFi. When I was out yesterday in a couple of bars with supposedly open WiFi, my WiFi signal was full but could'my connect to internet? My WiFi works fine at home and parents house etc but couldn't get it to work in these free WiFi areas?? Is there a setting or something I need to turn on? Thanks :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jimbobcook

jimbobcook Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome :)

I'm glad you like your One X, great piece of kit!

When you connect to these free Wifi areas are you opening up your Internet browser? does it come up with a log in page or something? I know theres a few that need a log in first before you get connectivity....

Cheers

3. Rik Mayall

Rik Mayall Member

Hi mate It did ask for a log in etc in one bar which I didn,t know but in the other places no it didn't.

4. jimbobcook

Thats strange, I have a few of them near me that you can just connect to but it normally works straight away be it very slow...

Sometimes I find if you go to these places alot find out what addresses they use for DHCP and then assign a static IP on their range... but it seems you are connecting fine as you have a full wifi signal, it could be they only allow so many outgoing connections at one go? I'm not sure if im honest...

El Presidente seems to be the man for any HTC One X issues that ive found...

Sorry I couldnt help

5. Rik Mayall

Rik Mayall Member

Ok think it might have been me doing it wrong! Just come to local pub with free WiFi to try it again and you do have to access it via a login page first! If you try just going straight on facebook or whatever it won't work until you've logged in first, doh! Thanks for your help dude!

6. jimbobcook

No Problem :)

Enjoy!

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews