1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Most accurate soft keyboard for the Optimus?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MarylandBill, Nov 24, 2010.

1. MarylandBill

MarylandBill Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Hi, this is my first post here. I am currently trying to decide on what my next phone will be and the Optimus is very high on my list. I only have one concern about it, and that is the keyboard.

Just a little background. I am a system administrator, so I will from time to time need to use my phone to connect to my systems to fix problems when I am not near a proper computer. I know I can use connectbot with a soft keyboard, but I am concerned about how accurate you can be on a 3.2" screen.

I know there are a lot of soft keyboards available, but my requirements are slightly different than the requirements of people who use their keyboards for email and sms. I don't need to be particularly fast, but I do need to be very accurate. So does anyone have any recommendations?

On a related note, on my last windows phone, I used to use TouchPal soft keyboard, which was pretty decent despite the fact that that phone had a 2.6" resistive touchscreen. Has anyone used TouchPal on a phone with 3.2" screen and have any comments on how well it works?

Thanks,
    Bill

Advertisement

2. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    GA
    Smart keyboard

MarylandBill and K4KAI like this.
  3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I use SwiftKey which is awesome. Also Swype / Ultra Keyboard / Shapewriter are worth looking at for composing emails / texts.

4. MobileFanatic

MobileFanatic Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Ive been actually wondering the same thing.

I did the update the first day i got my Optimus and it added Swype, but i dont really like it very much.

The stock keyboard isnt too bad IMO but id like something better if possible.

5. telemike

telemike Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Swype, if it would let me hunt-n-peck type as well as swyping I'd use it.

6. telemike

telemike Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Any free keyboards out there that work good?

7. bfready

bfready Active Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I have Swype on the Defy and you can "hunt and peck" on the Swype keyboard.

I am not sure how well it would work in a remote shell application considering a lot of the commands would not be in the dictionary. You can add them though of course.

I have used both the Optimus S and the Defy to SSH into equipment and have had no issues.

MarylandBill likes this.
  8. MarylandBill

MarylandBill Member

Nov 22, 2010

What keyboard have you used when you SSH'd into systems?

I believe there is an application called full keyboard?

Also, I think the Defy has a 3.7" screen, have you noticed much difference in the typing experience between the Defy and the Optimus?

Thanks,
    --
    Bill

9. shinedown87

shinedown87 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I alternate between Swype and Smart Keyboard Pro (for the T9 typing that I got so used to on my old cell phones). Swype came free on the Optimus, while Smart Keyboard Pro was a couple of bucks. Both allow you to "hunt and peck."

10. Techymom2

Techymom2 New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I'm not new to the smartphone. I've had a Samsung Instinct, blackberry curve and now I'm almost a week into my new Optimus. I love everything about it except the keyboard. I didn't have a problem with the instinct touch screen because you could use your nails. Now, with the Optimus I am constantly hitting the wrong letter. It frustrates me! I'm thinking of giving the Optimus to my daughter and getting an Evo for me. Anybody have suggestions? I don't have the wifi plan, I know why have a 4G phone and not have wifi. Well, I love gadgets and it's cheaper and better then an iphone. Help, I don't really want to spend the money on an Evo but I beginning to hate the Optimus. I'm a big texter and email user.

11. shinedown87

shinedown87 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Swype. Takes a bit to get used to, but you will no longer be tapping the wrong letters.

12. feigndeaf

feigndeaf Active Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Swype lets you hunt and peck. I started using it 2 days ago. The first few messages I had some issues with words so I had to hunt and peck a lot, but once I taught it my dirty and quirky language it worked just fine.