1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Most appropriate rooting method

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Reaktorblue, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Reaktorblue

Reaktorblue Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Hiyas,

I'm currently running DarkSlide v4.1 on Android 2.2.1 with kernel 2.6.32.9. I remember when I first upgraded to this version of Android, it ruined my root access because I originally used Z4Root and had to fix that.

I'm thinking about wiping the phone and starting fresh, with one of the 2nd Init ROMS and as I'm doing some research, it appears I'm at one of the more ideal setup's to perform this. As a second opinion, I'm correct thus far, right? With the kernel, etc.

My main question though is what is the most appropriate way to root my Droid X? I'm fairly technical and continue to deluge myself with research before actually performing such a task and as such, I do not mind performing the root via command line. Is this a cleaner method or is it plain and simple just easier to go back to using Z4Root for this.

My last question is, I'm typically a minimalist. I prefer a simple background that I can generally download and apply, so any theme really does not matter to me since I generally ruin it with making most of the icons and widgets have transparent backgrounds. I do however like to have control of many of the functions of my phone. Would CM7 seem to fit the bill nicely? This is the version I'm leaning towards currently.

I welcome all answers and opinions on this as there are so many different angles and such to modding the Droid, it's somewhat like asking someone what the best food is, lol.

Thanks again folks!

Advertisement

2. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    1. Yes you are a ta perfect stage for going onto a 2nd init ROM

2. Z4 root is the easiest and most suggested way to root Froyo, though you can probably root through the command line but I've never heard someone do that before :p

3. Yes CM7 is the best choice for that.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask :D

3. Reaktorblue

Reaktorblue Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated. The first time I loaded Froyo, I'm not sure exactly what happened but I used Z4 and I think OTA Froyo broke the SU file. I'm not sure if it made a copy or something but not only did it remove root access, I was unable to unroot the phone with Z4.

I had to connect the DX to the PC and use the command line to get into the phone and basically run this here.

Manual Root Guide

Operating in the command line is somewhat familiar for me. I'll admit, I'm no Linux/UNIX/Dos guru, but I have used it and it does not scare me away.

I'll probably check out Z4 as it was pretty easy to do then also. I was just concerned and led to believe, then, that it was not a very clean way of rooting the phone.

Thanks again for the heads up, much appreciated!

4. z0mb13m4n

z0mb13m4n Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Salt Lake City
    Since you said that you're going to wipe and start fresh, just SBF the phone to stock FroYo, root with Z4, install D2 Bootstrapper, and flash either CM7 or MIUI. I'm pretty partial to MIUI myself. I was on CM7 for a couple weeks and my battery life was pretty bad.