• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Most attractive "wearable" ive seen yet

Is that how these startup things work??

Yeh...think it's an option they can have. They keep all the money, minus a fee that the startup agent(IndieGogo) keeps. Those who give money get nothing back AFAIK.

The Pebble smart watch was crowd funded, and that did produce an actual product. However the B2Bs Alibaba and Made-In-China have thousands of Android smart watches now, mostly from Shenzhen...

Android smart watch, China android smart watch, android smart watch Manufacturers, China android smart watch catalog

Android Smart Watch-Android Smart Watch Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.comMobile Phones

At the moment this Smarty ring doesn't even show anything working. A couple of rendered mock-ups, and a CAD blueprint of the apparently flexible circuit board. How are they going to power it, would have to be a tiny battery to fit into a ring.

Upvote 0
It's a kind of neat idea, but I honestly don't think it would be all that usable - particularly for the price.

And I truly doubt that the product will ever actually be produced. The whole thing just seems super shady.

Man thats not worth the gamble lol!
Id maybe wear a pebble. Do they do that trusted device thing where your phone stays unlocked while its close to the device? Thats kinda cool to me even though i dont use a lock lol. Id wana make it so my phone screams and makes my watch vibrate when it gets out of range :)

I love my Pebble. I've yet to see a wearable (well, apart from Glass) that I'd even consider as a replacement. By default, the Pebble doesn't perform any trusted device actions - but I whipped up a quick Tasker profile to get that functionality (and there's also a pretty decent free app available to do the same).

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
The galaxy gear is pretty damn cool. Pitty its touchwiz-only though. I dont wear a watch but id defo wear a smartwatch just because im a geek and i like toys lol :)

main reason i got mine......i really do not need a watch, but i have gotten more compliments on my gear then any of my dumb watches;)

plus it is rootable and you can get nova on it, if you like.

Upvote 0
Man thats pretty cool. I hadnt even realised it runs android lol (what version is it based on?).
I just realised a problem id have with it.... my eyes lol. Theyre terrible. Ive chenged the DPI on my phone from 320 to 380!! Id have a nightmare tryin to see that lil screen and the ring in the op would be useless to me :cool:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So you're short sighted? Or long sighted or both?

Pound shop glasses are for long sightedness but contacts are usually for short sightedness. So are you just so extremely shortsighted that you can't even see something as close as your phone or are you both and need bifocals?

Just thought of a new comic superhero...

Blind-as-a-batman

Upvote 0
Far/long sighted mate so the image going into my eye is focused behind the back of my eye instead of focusing right on the light receptors (retina[?]). Yeah contacts work for far sightedness just like short sightedness by focusing the image in the right place.
reading glasses simply magnify the image so arent really ideal. I should reall get some proper glasses. Eye tests in scotland are free and you get a free (but limited) choice of glasses. i have a habit of breaking glasses though and we can only get a free pair every 2years :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones