1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Most direct way to force Epic to disconnect/reconnect w/ Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by V.Lee, Jul 2, 2011.

1. V.Lee

V.Lee Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    I'm having an intermittent problem with my phone and my 2011 Hyundai Tuscon's bluetooth. About once a week, it won't connect - the car prompts me to select a phone and I do, but it fails. When I check, for some reason the phone thinks it is already connected to the car, but the car doesn't. I have been trying to check the status on the phone before I start the car to see if I can identify a pattern here, but it only seems to happen when I get complacent and forget, ha. (And thanks again for the recent suggestion of "Quicktooth" - at least I can get directly to the BT screen to check).

Anyhow, until I can figure it out, my question for now is: how can I force the phone to disconnect while I'm in the car and then reconnect in the quickest way? I usually press the "Tuscon" entry on the BT screen and then it says "disconnecting" for the longest time. Should it just instantly disconnect? Then I get frustrated and try turning BT off and on, and sometimes play with the airplane mode. Eventually the display reverts back to "paired" and then I can connect normally. But I don't know which combination finally worked and I'd like to figure out a way to make it disconnect right away if possible.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If you throw the stock power widget on your home screen, you can toggle the Bluetooth antenna on and off with a single tap.

3. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

Why not just use the toggle in the pull down?

4. V.Lee

V.Lee Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    Actually the Quicktooth gives me the same options. I'm just not sure *which* option to start with.

Sorry, I probably didn't word my question clearly. Basically I want to know: if I turn on the car and it won't connect w/ the Epic, and when I look at the Epic and it says it is connected, what should I do first or what sequence? Try to disconnect on the Epic side? Try to turn off Bluetooth on the Epic side? (Both of these seem to be pretty lengthy procedures, with a long delay, which made me wonder if that was the wrong thing to do. But maybe that is normal - I've never had BT before so don't really have any point of reference).

Fortunately, the only thing I really use the phone for in the car is to order carry out on the way home ;) so it's not a huge inconvenience. But since I have the phone and the car came with BT, it would be nice if I could get it to work more consistently.

5. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

seems like you're looking for a quick fix of cycling when there isn't one unless you try doing things in a certain order. Keep BT off on the phone until you get in the car and toggle it on. Don't have it on beforehand. Or maybe just the opposite. Don't know any quick way of doing it. Just experiment until you find something that works. I know BT for me isn't always 100%, and every now and then I have to re-pair my Discovery Pro. They're paired and visible, but they just won't connect. A lengthy re-pair is the only thing that solves it.

V.Lee likes this.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Once a device is paired successfully, the phone and your hands-free system should remember each other. I can't speak for Hyundai's system, but I have 2011 Mitsubishi and I had an initial problem similar to your, but with audio playback. I would stream audio through bluetooth but when I paired my wife's phone to my car as well, mine would no longer stream music when she wasn't in the car.

What I did to correct it was to re-pair the phone. Go to menu>settings>Wireless & networks>Bluetooth settings and unpair the device. Then re-pair with your car. Since I did that my phone has never had a problem connecting.

7. V.Lee

V.Lee Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks. Yes, I was hoping there was a quick fix and was wondering if perhaps I just hadn't found it. I was kind of surprised at how long it takes to force the phone to disconnect or to force BT to turn off, but knowing that this is apparently how it works, I'll just have to try to practice patience :)! Like I mentioned, I'm very new to BT and assumed it was a bit more cut and dried than it is.