• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Most Stable Triumph ROM?

I new to the Motorola Triumph forums. My girlfriend recently got a used triumph and it has been acting up recently. it is completely unrooted stock.

We want to root, flash CWM, and a custom ROM but she isn't the kind to flash a new ROM every few days or weeks which leads me to my question.

What ROM is the most stable. I doesn't matter if it is Froyo, Gingerbread, or ICS. I know there is an issue with HDMI out, we don't use the HDMI that isn't an issue.

I agree with everything Shady said but would like to add that GPS on the sharp rom works flawlessly. Literally, everything works on that ROM. I use HDMI and GPS all the time so I am on the Sharp rom.

You can pick both roms. Just make a backup of each and restore which ever rom you want.

Upvote 0
I new to the Motorola Triumph forums. My girlfriend recently got a used triumph and it has been acting up recently. it is completely unrooted stock.

We want to root, flash CWM, and a custom ROM but she isn't the kind to flash a new ROM every few days or weeks which leads me to my question.

What ROM is the most stable. I doesn't matter if it is Froyo, Gingerbread, or ICS. I know there is an issue with HDMI out, we don't use the HDMI that isn't an issue.

lets look at your needs and ill recommend based on that you need you said need something that wont need to be updated right ,stable,you have no need for HDMI looks like MTDEV CM7 will work best for you the awesome ROM its pretty much baked everything except HDMI is working fine and as of today the latest build its stable so no need to update for a good while since from this point on i assume anything done to it will be to improve it

Reactions: bdfull3r
Upvote 0
Thank you every one for the replys, i am leaning more toward the MTDEV CM7
Is the GPS as good on that one as it is on the sharp? I don't need it to lock on fast but i do need it to stay locked up once it does

it looks like the GPS on the sharp room gets a faster lock but if you are a patience person :D and dont need super fast lock on then the GPS in the MTDEV CM7 will do i seen people report problem but i haven yet to see any major problems yeah to get a lock on might take a while but onces it does it stays lock also if you considering the CM7 ROM but like the ICS look check out the MTDEV Ultimate ICS theme that goes with MTDEV CM7 this awesome theme gives a nice ICS feel here is a link if you interested

http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...heme-mtdev-ultimate-ics-build-20120831-a.html

Reactions: bdfull3r
Upvote 0
I highly recommend MTDEV CM7.
If you're used to stock, when you flash this you will feel like you have a brand new phone.True story! :)
The GPS locks fast and is very dependable. I use it everyday with no issues.
I really feel like I cannot say enough good things about this ROM. I would have trashed the Triumph long ago had I not found this.

Reactions: portezbie
Upvote 0
Sharp ROM is stable, it's froyo and everything works.

MTDEV CM7 is also stable, gingerbread, however there are a few very small bugs here and there. You will most likely get better performance out of CM7 and in my opinion it is smoother and has a more responsive touch screen.

Just to throw this out there. The reason the touchscreen seems to work better on the ROMs that were built is because the touchscreen driver was rewritten by Whyzor. He added a cool delay so when you release your finger, the last bit of info isn't used for input. I think he did some othere stuff to it, though I'm not sure. I made for an intresting read while it was happening.

Upvote 0
I am a fan of MIUI 2.40.2 v3. I am not saying there is anything wrong with any of the CM ROMs or commenting about any of the Devs work. I personally have had some anomalies with these ROMs. I will not get into what they are here. FYI, the MIUI ROM will give your phone an iPhone look, which I am not a huge fan of, but the ROM is smooth and responsive, plus I enjoy the way the settings menus are set up (light background with black letters).

This ROM is also highly customizable with several themes to choose from.

Upvote 0
Thank you every one for the replys, i am leaning more toward the MTDEV CM7
Is the GPS as good on that one as it is on the sharp? I don't need it to lock on fast but i do need it to stay locked up once it does

Once CM7 (finally) gets locked you're generally okay but nothing comes close to Sharp in terms of GPS performance - I use GPS multiple times per day and have used a bunch of different ROMS for the Triumph and haven't found a ROM that can touch Sharp in terms of GPS lock time and staying locked. Anything beats the stock ROM for GPS to be honest.

CM7 does have a few quirks you should be aware of though. One is that the phone will not go into deep sleep with Wifi or Bluetooth turned on, and if they are both turned on at the same time it will ramp up the CPU to 100%. As long as you keep those things in mind CM7 is very stable.

My recommendation would be to try Sharp, U9000 (very similar to Sharp with stock launcher), and CM7 and see which of those you like the best. One of the best things about the Sharp/U9000 ROMs is that everything works the way it should without any issues, but the downside is that they're using Froyo.

Upvote 0
Inc0gnit0 said:
Anything beats the stock ROM for GPS to be honest.

Since rooting my MT and flashing just about all ROMs available, I personally found the stock GPS would lock onto my position within 10 feet even when sitting in my living room. The indicator would actually be over my house right where I was sitting. I have not found any ROM that comes that close. The closest one placed the indicator in the street in front of my house and approximately 50 to the west. That was G60's ROM CM7 MTDEV.

Upvote 0
Since rooting my MT and flashing just about all ROMs available, I personally found the stock GPS would lock onto my position within 10 feet even when sitting in my living room. The indicator would actually be over my house right where I was sitting. I have not found any ROM that comes that close. The closest one placed the indicator in the street in front of my house and approximately 50 to the west. That was G60's ROM CM7 MTDEV.

I definitely did not share the same experience. I knew from the reviews before I bought the Triumph that there were major issues with the GPS and the screen ignoring input but I bought it anyway because I saw that Whyzor and TickerGuy had mitigated those issues to some extent with their ROMs. I didn't root my phone until after I had it for about two months and during that time the GPS and screen issues would make me absolutely furious. The GPS used to take anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to get a lock outside. Standing in my yard I would start GPS Test and after 10 or 20 seconds it would lock onto 1, sometimes 2 satellites, and eventually after a few minutes it would gradually work it's way up to 8 or 9 satellites - and sometimes it wouldn't. Using the Sharp ROM I can stand in my yard and start up GPS Test and within literally a few seconds lock onto 8 or 9 satellites with accuracy less than 10 feet. Maybe it varies from phone to phone, I don't know. On the stock ROM, even after running GPS a few hours before it would still take forever to get a lock and with the Sharp ROM I can reboot it and run GPS Test (or any app that uses GPS) and get a lock within seconds.

Upvote 0
All I know for sure is that Google Maps and Navigation saved my bacon the only time I actually had to use it (other times I am just using it because I can). I had to bring my son down to Minneapolis for Lung surgery and the turn by turn audio instructions brought us right to the front door of U of M Children s Hospital. It really helped because the street I was supposed to take was under construction and the phone quickly gave me a new and correct route to the hospital. I understand why people who use the GPS feature daily, like a fast and reliable GPS.

Maybe I got that 1 out of 100 phones that actually does what it is supposed to do. I enjoy just about every aspect of my MT and think it's a great phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones