• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help most youtube videos not working after update

bbrad

Nov 12, 2009
Ever since my update I get a message that I the phone cannot play the video. Some play in low quality but when you try high quality it says it can't play it. I just go to the music category and most of the top videos I no longer can view. Did they change something with the update to prevent youtube videos from playing. A very low percentage play.

I'm using the youtube app on the menu.

I just noticed this issue as well. I didn't have any trouble before the update, but now I'm having the exact same problem as the OP--most play in low quality (though some will not), and of those that play in low quality, less than half will play in high quality.

I tried closing other programs, clearing the YouTube cache... that seemed to help, it then allowed me to open a video (in low quality) it previously wouldn't let me play at all--but it still wouldn't allow high quality.

Watching on a wi-fi network does seem to allow more videos to play.

Upvote 0
I actually tried restarting my phone, battery pull, etc....also went to the VZ store and did a factory reset there and still no luck. I've been looking around and noticed that users who have an HTC Hero are also experiencing this same issue...

I tried viewing the identical videos on my brother's Moto Droid and they work flawlessly... :(

Another interesting thing is I used the model phone (Droid Eris) they had in the store and that also could not open alot of the Youtube videos! What gives...:mad:

Upvote 0
Just joined and was having the same problems. Went through a bunch of stuff and no luck. Just turned the phone all of the way off. Removed the battery then re-installed a minute later. Fired up my Eris and so far 5 videos have worked flawlessly. Just a note. Not sure if this is a fix but it's working so far for me.

This SEEMS to have helped a LITTLE.

I tried a video from youtube, and it would not play, even in low quality. I tried the same video over and over, and on the FOURTH try, it finally played, and then it played on HQ.

So, it might work if you keep hitting the same stupid video, but this is embarrassing if I ever want to show an iPhone user how cool my phone is.

Verizon wrote back, by the way, and told me to contact YOUTUBE if I had any problems.

What idiots.

Upvote 0
Not sure if it was a tip or just luck but I do notice that going back and trying the video over and over a few times, that it finally pops up and plays normally. Since I'm paying for unlimited data I generally use the network and I think an awful lot of the lag and drag is simply due to network limitations. My phone doesn't seem to like my home wi-fi network set for 11n. Locked 2.4GHz seems to work fantastic everywhere else but this phone hates having to switch between the 5 and 2.4GHz bands. Just drops and I have to turn things on and off. Hope this gets fixed with 2.0. That probably belongs in another forum but I just couldn't help myself. Anyway, had my Eris for a month now and it's still cool.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. I tried with two of my own videos that are on youtube. One worked fine after converting to hi-def on the Eris and the other wouldn't work. They are both my videos, recorded and uploaded exactly the same. Not sure what's going on, but it's annoying.

Also noticed the log in problem. I have two YouTube channels but it won't let me log in for the second one.

Upvote 0
I can play Youtube videos on the browser as well, but if you watch through the browser, the quality is horrible and you can't choose "High quality" like you can through the app.
All I'm saying is, we bought this phone with the stock Youtube app as part of this phone's options...HTC and/or Verizon really should step up and look into this. At VZ, I got the idiot response of, there must be issues with the OS (1.5) and the Youtube app. well....it was working fine before the update...sooooo....what does that mean?? I called HTC and got no help either, they told me, well, try to do a reset. Soft, hard, whatever..I told them I did both, had no answer for me.

Frustrating.

Upvote 0
So, has anyone come up with an answer on this? As with most everyone else, mine wouldn't play video through the onboard app. Did the battery pull and it played the video but as soon as I pressed "play in high quality", the thing displayed the all too familiar "cannot play this video". Tried it again, and then it played it in both std. and HQ. So, it appears to be an intermittent issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones