1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Motion sensor annoying

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MissHaskell, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MissHaskell

MissHaskell Lurker

My new Nexus 4 turns the screen off every time I turn my phone side ways or move it in any way. I know there's a motion sensor, but how do I turn it off?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

That doesn't sound right; the sensor is there for things like screen rotation but it shouldn't turn the display off.

I'm not aware of any simple way to disable the sensor, although there are ways of controlling rotation. But that's not the problem here.

3. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

You can try booting the phone into safe mode, which will effectively prevent any third-party apps from running at start-up. That should help to narrow down the source of the problem.

To boot into safe mode:
    1. Long-press power button to bring up the Power Menu.
    2. Long-press the Power Off option.
    3. A prompt will appear asking if you want to reboot into Safe Mode. Say yes.

4. MissHaskell

MissHaskell Lurker

The Safe mode worked with the screen turning off. Do I just keep my phone in safe mode?

5. MissHaskell

MissHaskell Lurker

Oh! Never mind, it works now. Thanks for your help :)

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

In that case, it sounds like there might be an application of some nature that's causing you problems.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews