• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto 360 Owner Observations. New/potential users check here

Plus, I'm hearing there's going to be multiple colors for the bands as well. It's almost August. I'm surprised we haven't received anymore details yet.

Sprint is planning an event for something new and speculation has that being a follow-up to the Kyocera Hydro (waste of time, money, and resources, if you ask me)
Sprint August 19th event invites begin going out

I can't imagine that Sprint would hope that a follow-up to the Kyocera Edge would hold down the fort during August, but then again, it's Sprint and I unfortunately don't have much of a choice, when it comes to provider.

That said, the reason August is my theoretical guess is due to September typically being a Note and iPhone month. Motorola (Lenovo) would be dumb to put the X+1 up against those two (2) phones, in September. And the first Moto X was late August 2013 release.

So, taking the info about the Moto X, a combined launch of the phone and the watch would be a good play for Motorola, as long as they don't take too long. If they wait until the end of August, people might just wait for the Note 4 or the iPhone 6.

Reactions: Orion
Upvote 0
That said, the reason August is my theoretical guess is due to September typically being a Note and iPhone month. Motorola (Lenovo) would be dumb to put the X+1 up against those two (2) phones, in September. And the first Moto X was late August 2013 release.

So, taking the info about the Moto X, a combined launch of the phone and the watch would be a good play for Motorola, as long as they don't take too long. If they wait until the end of August, people might just wait for the Note 4 or the iPhone 6.

You know what's funny? I was thinking the same thing this morning. September is going to be a busy month with new tech coming. August seems quiet. If Motorola was smart, they would use that month to unleash their lineup!! August should be moto month. I just don't get it.

Upvote 0
Sprint is planning an event for something new and speculation has that being a follow-up to the Kyocera Hydro (waste of time, money, and resources, if you ask me)
Sprint August 19th event invites begin going out

I can't imagine that Sprint would hope that a follow-up to the Kyocera Edge would hold down the fort during August, but then again, it's Sprint and I unfortunately don't have much of a choice, when it comes to provider.

It is also noteworthy that the Moto X is on sale for the third week in a row. Two weeks ago, they were selling the Unlocked Moto X with a Net10 Simcard (instead of T-Mobile) for $299. Last week (actually ended yesterday) they had $100 off the 16GB (so $299) or $125 off the 32GB ($324) or 64GB ($374) Moto X when you entered a promo code.

This week (through July 31), the Moto X is the same price as last but you don't need to use a coupon code. Also, Moto X cases are 50% off and screen protectors are 25% off.

It sure seems like they are trying to get rid of most of the stock of the Moto X, which would also seem to point to an August release of the X+1.

Upvote 0
It is also noteworthy that the Moto X is on sale for the third week in a row. Two weeks ago, they were selling the Unlocked Moto X with a Net10 Simcard (instead of T-Mobile) for $299. Last week (actually ended yesterday) they had $100 off the 16GB (so $299) or $125 off the 32GB ($324) or 64GB ($374) Moto X when you entered a promo code.

This week (through July 31), the Moto X is the same price as last but you don't need to use a coupon code. Also, Moto X cases are 50% off and screen protectors are 25% off.

It sure seems like they are trying to get rid of most of the stock of the Moto X, which would also seem to point to an August release of the X+1.

What would be even smarter of Motorola is if they did some sort of package deal, for discount purchase of both the phone and the 360. Not saying that they will do that, but it'd be a good way for Motorola to have a very successful initial sales launch for both. I'm just wondering if the slow transition to Lenovo is also hurting the marketing division from doing what they need to do, in order for people to keep interest in their watch, which was announced so many months ago already, without any definitive information on release date or pricing.

Upvote 0
moto would be stuipd not to be out either before or during the note 4 and iphone 6 launches.

because coming out after - you'd lose anybody that went for the other product instead of waiting for yours.

I like the idea of the moto watch over the others - because it needs to be something I would wear in public. none of the other smartwatches fill that bill - so far.

heart rate monitor is not a deal breaker for me - but honestly I don't need the thing anyway.

however would be nice - if it could run a timezone app time clock on the face.

Upvote 0
Well, this is DAY TWO with my Moto 360. Observations:

It charges quickly. That's good. But be mindful that the more you play with it, the more you need to be aware that the LCD screen will eat battery power. The 360's nominal state is with the screen OFF. Only when you get an incoming call, text or email, or in a contextual condition (such as whipping your wrist around to check the time) does the screen light up. Of course setup and playing with it will kill the battery faster.

I have ordered a cheap Qi charging mat from Amazon so that - if it runs low due to said playing with it - I can charge it at the laptop while I'm just siting here. Hey, it's $14 for a Qi mat. No reason for this thing to run low out while I'm out & about. No, you don't need the special Moto 360 charger stand to charge it. The stand is cool, but I laid the watch on my Tylt Vu and it started charging. So any Qi charger should work.

During my experimental play time at about 3 this morning (I told you I was excited about it), I noticed that it showed the time but effectively did nothing else. Swipe, swipe, swipe, nothing. I went back through my Note 3, uninstalling Wear apps that don't yet work with the 360 (such as Wear Mini Launcher), and then reset the watch.

TIP: to access Settings, double press the button on the side :)

Since resetting, I have had no issue with it. Music Boss runs great (pause/play/back/skip on the phone), and all the cards show up (upcoming events, weather forecast, etc.)

Just know that, at least the first day or two, you will blow through that battery in a hurry just setting it up, playing with watch faces, adding apps, etc. But know that the default state of this watch is SCREEN OFF. So it's actually kinda boring after awhile. Of course, the excitement returns all over again when a notification comes in :)

Would I do it again?

Considering that the watch sold out in all three venues in less than an hour, and considering that I drove 4 hours round trip to get the thing in hand on Launch Day... YEP. Of course, I'm an early adopter and I have this obsessive-compulsive thing about Launch Day devices :D

So I'm very happy to have it. It is admittedly beautiful, doesn't look ridiculously huge on my wrist, and does exactly what I expected it to do. When a notification comes it, it vibrates and lights up.

TIP: just swipe down from the clock to mute/unmute the phone's vibration option.

Later I'll try navigation and some of the other little cool things this watch is capable of. I hope this helps you!

:)

Attachments

• Moto360.jpg
    Moto360.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Chief, it's a backlit LCD screen and not an AMOLED, right? I could be wrong, but I think that is where the concern over battery life comes from? Please be sure to post your battery life experience over the next few days. As long as it lasts through a long day, I plan to buy one. Some of the reviews that say you have to recharge mid-day have me worried (hopefully needlessly). Thanks!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I bought my silver/gray 360 today at Best Buy. Here is my story with the device so far:

Get in car. Pull the box out of the BB bag. Noticed the tape was broken, meh, got my watch, no big deal right. Power on, download app, connect to phone. Watch says, downloading. Gets to ~50% says connect to charger. (Im in parking lot, cant connect to charger.) I get a phone call, picture shows up on watch, LOOKS AMAZING! Watch goes black. I assume the batt died. Drive home put on charger. After ~5 min the watch shows 10%. Desk mode active, screen on digi clock with bar graph. Then 9%.....8%....6%..... hmmm whats going on, maybe battery is calibrating itself...4%....3%.....black (all over the course of 15 min) I let it set for ~20 more min. Then it rebooted and shows 8%. I pulled it off and connected to my phone. Watch says "Wait a minute" ....... for 10 minutes. Finally begins to download screen makes it to ~10% and batt dies. So I set on charger for 10 min, it boots up and shows 8% and beings to count down again...

Now I have reset the watch and I am waiting with it on charge... Im going to let it set for ~1hr then try this process again.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Also, please know, I am refraining from the typical device review because I have not noticed anything that has not already been mentioned. Looks awesome, high quality, love, love, bla, bla... battery life is concern (see above)

If you have any device specific questions let me know and ill do my best to answer them.

Upvote 0
It's is 4:30 PM and I'm down to 17% battery. Started at about 8:30 this morning... so the Moto 360 made it through eight hours by the skin of its teeth.

Granted, I've been setting it up and installing/uninstalling things: which dragged down the battery. Once I have it the way I think it should be, I'm confident that it'll go ~10 hours.

One observation that I've made is the contextual positioning is very vague. What I mean to say is, any time my wrist turns and "assumes the position", the 360 lights up. Even though all I'm doing is typing on the laptop. No way to set the sensitivity that I've found, so that's a minus right there.

Sometimes the double tap of the button gives me Settings, sometimes it doesn't. It's hit or miss. I have a feeling that another third party app is interfering with its operation... so I'll likely delete them ALL except the necessary Android Wear app and reset the watch again.

There are settings I don't understand, like Ambient Screen. Checking it really kills the battery... I don't know what it is yet.

More to come!

EDIT:

Quick question: does your watch stay in desk mode with screen on 100% during charging? or does it go black after a certain amount of time? Is this charger dependent?

Currently my 360 does not appear to be able to net a positive charge while docked.

Yes, it is in desk mode while charging. It charges fast enough, but also discharges at a pretty good clip. I can imagine a bout of navigation for, say, 30 minutes will all but drain it completely.

You say that your 360, on its little dock, will not charge lit up? That's what it's designed to do! I'd be calling Motorola if that's the case.

Upvote 0
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Have you been able to get the download completed and installed.

I finally got the download completed... However I am now using an alternate qi charger for charging the device. I have now seen it go from 5% to 8% in 20 minutes... First time in seen a positive net.... Yay. . there is hope!

The device now says "charge your battery"... I assume it needs a certain percentage before starting the install of the new download...

Keep me posted on your findings please.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones