• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto 360 System Update thread

So we are getting Android L on the Moto 360? It's practically X-mas.

Moto 360 Update Brings Connection and Battery Improvements

Moto 360 isn't getting Android L, just some added features to enhance Android wear.

Where are you getting that from your link? I see no mention of Android L, just the small upgrade that came out last week.

This is the part that mentions Android L

Earlier this month Google confirmed some major improvements and new features were coming soon to Android Wear smartwatches, including the Android L release, so we can still expect tons of changes in the very near future.

Reactions: JimSmith94
Upvote 0
I wonder how much different battery life would be if they gave us the option to disable the heart rate monitor? If you never noticed, look at the back of the watch and every 5 minutes you can see it turn on. The ability to disable it is my biggest want.
This should be a no brainier option Motorola should implement.

My Moto 360 is still in transit, and I expect it to be on my wrist week after next since I'm overseas.

I understand that the heart rate monitor cannot be deactivated. Is it the same way with the step counter? That's one other functionality that should be user selectable.

I've been using a Qualcomm Toq for eight months now and I enjoy phenomenal battery endurance of a week if I turn it off at night. The step counter in the Toq can be toggled on or off.

Upvote 0
This should be a no brainier option Motorola should implement.

My Moto 360 is still in transit, and I expect it to be on my wrist week after next since I'm overseas.

I understand that the heart rate monitor cannot be deactivated. Is it the same way with the step counter? That's one other functionality that should be user selectable.

I've been using a Qualcomm Toq for eight months now and I enjoy phenomenal battery endurance of a week if I turn it off at night. The step counter in the Toq can be toggled on or off.

I don't think the 360 will get close to the Toq battery life, but it should make it through 24 hours, with the new update, but if you're hoping to achieve the same lifespan as the Toq, I think you'll be disappointed.

I'd say the battery life now would be similar to what I was experiencing with the first Gear. I wasn't having as bad of battery drain on that watch, as many others were, but the complaints of the 360 battery drain reminded me of the 1st Gear. That said, charge time was 10X's faster and I can charge at work, if I ever forget (just need an extra qi wireless charger).

Upvote 0
31+ hours and at 26% right now.

I can't be sure if the battery is just conditioned now, the update has helped a lot, or if I am a pretty light user.

Sure, I'm not navigating all day long, but I am getting texts and emails, a few calls and messing around with the faces all day long...for almost a day and a half now. It's probably a combination of all 3, but whatever. The results speak for themselves.

Upvote 0
31+ hours and at 26% right now.

I can't be sure if the battery is just conditioned now, the update has helped a lot, or if I am a pretty light user.

Sure, I'm not navigating all day long, but I am getting texts and emails, a few calls and messing around with the faces all day long...for almost a day and a half now. It's probably a combination of all 3, but whatever. The results speak for themselves.

Nice! Depending on how my battery is at the end of the day today, I may try leaving it off the charger over night, just to see how it responds.

As of right now, I'm at 82% after 5 hours off charger. Not bad considering how many emails/texts/notifications get pushed to my phone constantly, throughout the day.

Upvote 0
I left my girlfriend's house around 6 pm and I took my watch off the charger. I think it was at 98%. I left my watch off the charger last night and grabbed the watch around 1:30 pm today with 58%. I did have my phone in always on mode yesterday too for awhile. Additionally, when I was driving home from my girlfriends house yesterday I was texting her via voice from my watch.

Upvote 0
Wow I just got an update to KNX01X. I have an option to put music on the watch. It didn't tell me how to use it though LOL.

Awesome! Just finishing update install right now. I blocked all my music apps, just to remove that notification. Hopefully, this does the trick. Didn't really care for the stock notification that was forced to block the clock and not as functional as music boss app.

Upvote 0
Here are the patch notes. Goggle Play has a check box in Settings now to add downloaded music to the watch but nothing seemed to happen so I unchecked it. I was able to pair the watch directly to my wireless headphones.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/50a82d847b

Edit: The one thing that concerns me is this:

> Moto 360 will synchronize the time with your phone more often to make sure it is up to the minute.

I hope that doesn't mean battery life will suffer if it's polling the phone more frequently.

The "hide without dismissing" thing for cards is awesome.

The added music controls are cool. Skip forward, back and volume up and down.

VERY disappointed that there is not a "heart monitor off" option. Hopefully still to come.

The "enhanced dim" function to my eyes had no effect. I don't want it to dim, I want it to turn off without me having to do the work around every night before I go to bed.

Upvote 0
Here are the patch notes. Goggle Play has a check box in Settings now to add downloaded music to the watch but nothing seemed to happen so I unchecked it. I was able to pair the watch directly to my wireless headphones.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/50a82d847b

Edit: The one thing that concerns me is this:

> Moto 360 will synchronize the time with your phone more often to make sure it is up to the minute.

I hope that doesn't mean battery life will suffer if it's polling the phone more frequently.

The "hide without dismissing" thing for cards is awesome.

The added music controls are cool. Skip forward, back and volume up and down.

VERY disappointed that there is not a "heart monitor off" option. Hopefully still to come.

The "enhanced dim" function to my eyes had no effect. I don't want it to dim, I want it to turn off without me having to do the work around every night before I go to bed.

Wait, so does that mean it can function as a stand alone mp3 player? Does the watch have enough storage space to even hold enough mp3's?

Upvote 0
Wait, so does that mean it can function as a stand alone mp3 player? Does the watch have enough storage space to even hold enough mp3's?

Yeah... if memory serves from the spec sheet it has 4 gigs. It will be a stand alone MP3 player, but obviously it will require a BT device to play through.

When I checked the "Download music to Android Wear Device" button in Google Play I got a popup card on the watch that said it was DLing music but it stayed on 53 songs and never went down. I got bored of waiting and unchecked it.

Still no way to make the face stay on just a smidgen longer yet, huh? Not the end of the world, I just like to gaze at its beauty while it's on. :)

I wish you could change the time out! Once the programming environment is released we'll probably see things like that.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones