1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Moto Assist Voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ekyle, Nov 19, 2014.

1. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    Has anyone used the Moto Assist Voice features consistently? The feature I'm talking about is the one that lets the phone always listen for the key command you give it. If so, how hard does that hit the battery?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Assist ... never used it ... I use Tasker instead.

Voice ... I use it all the time on the Turbo and the Maxx ... it is IMNHO the future. I see recognizable battery impact.

... Thom

3. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    I think that you are confusing two things. Moto Assist will do things like recognize that you are driving and offer to tell you of received phone calls and text messages, and optionally reply by voice to text messages; to do the same when you are at home; to silence the phone during specific hours (while you are sleeping) or while you are in a meeting (based on your calendar entries), optionally allowing calls to go through from favorite contacts or numbers that call twice in succession.

Moto Voice is the service that listens for a catch phrase, wakes the phone (or switches from the current state, if the phone is already awake), processes specific spoken commands, and carries them out.

Does it affect battery life if you leave it on? Yes, but Motorola says marginally so, as they have a special process that runs in a low power state that listens for the voice trigger (just as the Assist app has a special process that runs in low power state to recognize when you are traveling fast enough to be considered driving, or arrive at your predefined home location.) Motorola and Verizon have never documented specific battery requirements for these processes, but surely they do drain at least a marginal amount.

One way to find out, of course, is to turn these services on for a day or two on your phone, then turn them off, and see if you can determine a definitive difference. Of course battery usage can vary from day to day, based on other things that you use, but if the days without those services end up around 50% battery and the days with those services end up around 25% battery - well, that's a significant difference. If, instead, its ends up 45% or so, then I'd say that the services have only marginal battery effects.

4. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    When using Moto Voice to check weather, calendar, play music, etc., does it always activate Google, and or, Google Voice to complete the command?

5. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    I believe that Moto Voice can do specific things without Google Voice but, when it cannot recognize a command, it passes it on to Google Voice to process.

Here is a FAQ for the 2014 Moto X, which I think is the same for the Turbo:

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/101031/p/30,6720,9197

kmf likes this.
  6. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2010
    I turned it off because I'd be driving along, be talking to my wife in the passenger seat, and somehow activate it randomly. Phone would blurt out something about Google this or Google that. Guess it would falsely detect the pass phrase.

7. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    You might want to try going through the pass phrase recording process again. It might reduce the number of erroneous enables you are getting. Using a longer phrase with more syllables also could help.

... Thom

arrowgance likes this.
  8. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I ended up turning it on. Haven't noticed any real difference in battery. However it's having issues picking up on my voice command. I've retained it a few times but it only seems to work well with "OK Google Now" for me. Still fairly useful.

9. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I see it as a breakthrough.

I trained the Maxx and Turbo with "OK Droid Now" and it responds to "OK Droid" like "OK Droid Weather".

... Thom

10. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    I noticed today that if I have the Driving/Play music enabled. that it doesn't work with my 2010 Suburban. The music plays through my phone's ear piece, not the speaker or the suburban. Also, if it is reading my texts, those also play through the phone's ear piece, not the phone's speaker or the suburban. (I don't believe that my suburban's blue tooth is able to Moto Assist features.) The Turbo was reading my texts and letting me respond (through the phone's speaker) before enabling Play Music, so I disabled the Play music and restarted the phone. Back to the way it should be I guess.