1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General Moto Droid Maxx Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Old Member, Jul 31, 2013.

1. chrisv79

chrisv79 Member
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I think the hype is down for the droids just because of the marketing attention Googarola is giving to the X, plus the X being on multiple carriers. It appears the Droids spec wise are identical to the X with the Maxx having better build quality and battery.

I understand why some feel the way they do, especially as somebody who got burned in the whole Bionic fiasco. But that really was a different Motorola, and I just don't see Google letting these phones just wither on the vine with no support. The dev support may be a concern but with everything being so close to the X I think somebody will crack it. I don't root so that is not really a concern to me. I am excited for this phone and once I am able to hold one I likely will be buying.

Advertisement

2. lewwill

lewwill Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    retired
    New Hampshire
    I don't root either and this phone, even on Verizon, is close to vanilla android. I think that will make updates easier as they should be so close to the Moto X. The VZ website now has activated the order number rather than the pre-order number and says "in porcessing". Hopefully will receive it by Monday or Tuesday latest.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Interesting. I bet you pre-ordered from your computer. I pre-ordered on August 5th at the Verizon store and mine is being shipped there (sometime). What I was solving was not committing until I had a chance to handle it.

... Thom

4. lewwill

None

Jul 28, 2011
    retired
    New Hampshire
    Now I have a Fed Ex tracking number. It is in Chester PA.

5. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I just got notification of shipment to Verizon store with tracking number. No status posted on Fed-Ex yet.

... Thom

6. lewwill

None

Jul 28, 2011
    retired
    New Hampshire
    Thank you and great to hear. I have been researching phones for over a month looking for an upgrade for my Bionic. Samsung's feel cheap and I don't like touchwiz. Looked hard at the Moto X but Maxx has the same specs and features and I like the capacitive buttons in the chin rather than taking up screen space. Used to them on my Bionic. Great to hear from someone with hands on. Now I am really looking forward to Monday or Tuesday.:)

7. jalov

jalov Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Also got the shipped email, and tracking #. It is not registiring yet as far as where the phone is, but iI know sometimes until the package is on the actual truck, it won't show. So getting closer. Coming from the Droid 4,I can not put into words how excited i am over not having to constantly charge my phone, be near a charger, or plug it in my car to get Four hours battery life. II'm sad to give up the keyboard but the charging frustration finally wore me down. Of all the phones iI have ever owned, this battery was epically bad.

8. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Fed-Ex is now giving me tracking information (it arrived at Lewisberry, PA eight minutes ago) and there is no ETA yet.

ETA was just added ... Tuesday August 20, 2013.

... Thom

9. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    That just warmed my heart. Thank you. LOL.

That was my biggest concern.

Oh Tuesday, why you not here yet???

10. DaytonaZ33

DaytonaZ33 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2010
    First of all, thank you for the details. If you get a chance and are up for answering a few questions, I'd like to know:

1. How does the WiFi notification in the notification shade work. Always there? Dismissible? Is it there when connected to WiFi? Is it there even when WiFi is off?

2. Is the People (contacts) app stock Android? It has a non-stock icon, so I am curious if they did anything to it.

3. Are any of the built in bloat (MyVZW, VZNav, VZSecurity, etc..) apps "disable-able" by going into the Applications menu?

Some reviews show the WiFi notification being there, others don't. My OCD can't stand little nags like that. It's not a huge deal if you can't answer so don't go out of your way, would just like to know if perhaps you know the answer off the top of your head. Thanks again for the info. Cheers!

Covert_Death likes this.
  11. landolakes

landolakes Member
    None

Sep 12, 2010
    I only have one issue with capacitive buttons and was wondering if you could answer if this phone does it also. Do they stay lit when watching videos from Netflix or YouTube? I work nights and watch a lot of videos and loved my gnex for not having them. It's the one issue I have with my DNA.

12. DaytonaZ33

DaytonaZ33 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2010
    Thank you, really appreciate it.

To clarify my point on question one, I am talking about the ongoing notification that appears on shade when you pull it down from the top as seen in this photo on some newer Verizon devices. On certain Verizon Android devices since the Galaxy S3 launched, that notification is impossible to get rid of permanently without rooting. When WiFi is off, it says tap to turn WiFi on. When WiFi is on and connected, it will then update its text to say which WiFi network you are connected to. In either case, it's always there.

I am not referring to the signal strength indicator icon (the waves icon) that appears in the top right hand corner near the time and cell signal strength indications.

Thank you again.

13. lewwill

None

Jul 28, 2011
    retired
    New Hampshire
    Mine has departed Newark NJ and is headed points North. Delivery date is Tuesday also but Fed Ex has a habit of delivering early......I hope....Monday?:smokingsomb:

14. jalov

jalov Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Mine is now sitting at the local Fedex, on the truck, to be delivered Monday. pretty excited for a Monday finally!

15. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Mine should have been arriving Monday to. But thanks to the idiots at Verizon now it's not. I don't know why I even bothered to come back to them.

16. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
  17. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    i'd get it if I was ok with using a phablet as a phone. Also, if i didn't hate samsung after the gnex experience.

how was your experience with the maxx hd though? I always kicked myself for buying into the gnex hype and not waiting for the original maxx, or hell even the rezound was a much better phone at the time.

18. wise_guy69

wise_guy69 Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011

If I recall correctly I believe he reported that somehow Verizon cancelled his order and he would have to wait until the second wave if he was to re-preorder. But what I don't understand is that he could just pick one up in-store if he really wanted it Tuesday. I am assuming these should be an easy scoop on Tuesday, but maybe I'm wrong...

Covert_Death likes this.
  19. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    Wondering if anyone has been fortunate enough to get their Maxx delivered today?

20. wise_guy69

wise_guy69 Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Just checking in on this thread to see if anyone's pre-orders have arrived or not. If so we need pictures and updates; good, bad and otherwise!

21. jalov

jalov Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Just arrived off the FedEx truck. Haven't had time to play with it yet, but will hopefully have some time later.

22. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Laggy, poor color on screen, battery same as tbolt with extended battery, lousy camera.

23. Old Member

None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Cincinnati
    I stopped by my local VZW corporate store on my way home from work today. They had the Maxx, Ultra (Red back) and Ultra (Black back) on display. First things first, the Ultra is UNCOMFORTABLE in hand. It's too thin. The Maxx feels and looks incredible.

I tested it opening webpages (phonedog and phandroid) vs. my Gnex. It loaded webpages 2-3 seconds faster than my Gnex.

I also took a photo with my Gnex and the Maxx for comparison's sake. It's a quick shot but it gives a little context. I also took photos of the apps pre-installed in the app drawer.

This is taken with my Genx:
    [​IMG]

This was taken with the Moto Maxx
    [​IMG]

Here are the apps included in the app drawer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Outatime and OutOfPhase like this.
  24. Old Member

None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Cincinnati
    I also asked about pricing because I know some had heard that it would cost $350 with a $50 mail in rebate. At my store (because I can't speak for everyone) I was told that it will be $299.99 and that there is a $349.99 bundle that they can sell me but the phone itself is $299.99.

I asked if he could sell it to me tonight and he said as much as he'd like to because he's on commission, he can't until tomorrow. I explained that tomorrow is only a little more than an hour away since they close soon. He laughed and said let me see what I can do. He came back with good news. He said that he can sell it to me at $999,999 tonight or I can wait and buy it for $299.99 tomorrow. He said that the computer has the above price in now when he tries to ring it up.

I decided that I would wait. :(

Lucky Armpit and Outatime like this.
  25. JustJosh4

JustJosh4 Member
    None

May 28, 2010
    I think I'll be picking this phone up tomorrow, I just really wish that there were some more reviews of it available. I jumped into my Droid X blind though, and that was really a fantastic device. Looking forward to getting back on a Motorola device after using my Galaxy Nexus.