• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto Droid Maxx Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked into the VZW store across the street from the hotel at 9:05 am, looked at the Maxx for a couple of minutes, the decided to pull the trigger and walked out with the phone at 9:35 am. I let the phone charge in the car on the 3.5 hour ride home (it was at 70% give or take when I got it) so I won't know about battery for a while. The display is great, but it is washed out in the sun.

I was told that the Maxx is world phone capable. (So you can put a foreign sim in while outside the US.) [EDIT: I'm actually not sure that you can put another SIM in the phone, though you may. It's likely that it's SIM locked until you call Verizon. However, the Maxx is a world phone. The mobile settings allow you to choose Global, LTE/CDMA, or GSM/UMTS.]

The phone is a little bigger than I would prefer, but the only smaller phone with a large enough battery is the Galaxy S4, and I really didn't want that phone (and it's not much smaller.)

Because I was riding home I didn't do a full setup of the phone so I'll do a factory reset tonight and start again from scratch.

By the way, I noticed that the phone had a system update when the salesman first turned it on.

I also bought the bumper case, but I may go with something else later on.

Upvote 0
I finally got notification that my pre-order Maxx was in my (independent) Verizon store. I went in and handled it for a minute and said let's do it.

They only had three Maxx s and they were all pre-ordered. Mine was the first they tried to activate.

Two people tried for an hour to activate it and I finally left and ran errands. I went back after an hour and it still isn't activated and when it is "released" for activation they will call me.

The problem ... the Verizon records show that this is under Fed-Ex control and cannot activate it until Fed-Ex "releases" it.

I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, maybe ...

... Thom

Upvote 0
To those that have the Droid Ultra/Maxx already... there's no notification light, correct? None at all? Only Active Display?

Correct. No light.

Actually, not entirely true. When your battery is getting low, I think I've read that a small light will light up near the top of the phone.

Upvote 0
New to the forums--first post

Thought I would just chime into the convo. Will be upgrading from a Droid Bionic to the Maxx. Pre-ordered from a 3rd party group at a very good price well before the date was pushed back to the 27th. Still haven't received shipping notification. I wonder if VZW will be sending my phone in with the batch for the 27th...

Good to see everyone who has had their hands on the phone thinks positively, or is maybe even a little (pleasantly) surprised!

I cannot wait. Hoping I don't think it is massive vs. my droid bionic. Strongly considered the mini, as I've preferred LCD screens in the past.

Can anyone let me know how the AMOLED fairs in the sun?

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Can anyone let me know how the AMOLED fairs in the sun?

I just went and did a field test for you because I was curious too :D

I would give it a "good." Still easily readable, but somewhat muted. That is with brightness at 100%. I would say the GNex is better in direct sunlight. But it's MUCH better than my Incredible that became completely unusable in sunlight.

Also, thanks guys for pointing out that there is a low battery light, but not a message notification light.

Reactions: Ricolas P
Upvote 0
I just went and did a field test for you because I was curious too :D

I would give it a "good." Still easily readable, but somewhat muted. That is with brightness at 100%. I would say the GNex is better in direct sunlight. But it's MUCH better than my Incredible that became completely unusable in sunlight.

Also, thanks guys for pointing out that there is a low battery light, but not a message notification light.

Sounds like AMOLED has come a ways then. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I finally got notification that my pre-order Maxx was in my (independent) Verizon store. I went in and handled it for a minute and said let's do it.

They only had three Maxx s and they were all pre-ordered. Mine was the first they tried to activate.

Two people tried for an hour to activate it and I finally left and ran errands. I went back after an hour and it still isn't activated and when it is "released" for activation they will call me.

The problem ... the Verizon records show that this is under Fed-Ex control and cannot activate it until Fed-Ex "releases" it.

I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, maybe ...

... Thom
OK, same problem here. I called the number to activate and it said it was. I made sure my Bionic was off. Would not activate. Drove a mile down the road for better signal, still would not activate. Went into Wolfeboro where LTE is solid, no luck. Finally, in my t-shirt and gym shorts I drove to Rochester to the corporate VZW store. They tried, no luck and finally activated it manually from their equipment in the store. They were super there. I did get the bumper case and screen protector while there (I felt guilty) and the bumper case is excellent. Protects the edges without covering the back. Setting up from Google is a snap. Most comes over without a problem. Set up pop3 email and gmail. Don't think I will migrate my text history, better to start over I think. I have all the mobile nrs. in my gmail contacts that came over fine. This thing is beautiful, sharp and smooth. I cannot believe how thin it is even with the monster battery. Busy but fun night ahead.
Lew:D:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Motorola Migrate is useless. It kept wanting me to scan a QR code on my old phone (or maybe on the new one) but I couldn't find one to scan. No problem right? Just use the NFC function to transfer pics and data. Yeah right, that didn't work either. So now I'm transferring my pics and data the old fashioned way, tethered to my laptop.

Did anyone else get that silly app to work??

Upvote 0
I got Motorola migrate to work. In the Maxx, go to the migrate app, click the settings menu, and change mode to send data TO this device. When that is chosen, the QR code will appear for your old phone to scan, and the migration will begin. I came from a gnex as well, and had no problem moving the data, but it took at least 30 minutes, so make sure devices are charged.

Upvote 0
Ok, well now that I'm setting up my phone on my Maxx . . . I've just found out that the Circles Widget does not work on 3rd party launchers AKA Nova Launcher.

Oh the HUMANITY!!!!

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed by this.

Edit: I'm seriously considering going the One More Clock route that looks just like the official Droid version. I cannot live without my Nova!

Upvote 0

I checked back five hours lster and still no progress. They are having problems activating three Maxx(s).

I went to the Corporate Verizon store and played with the Maxx, Ultra, and Mini for a while. The Maxx is clearly the one for me.

I am starting to suspect that there are a batch of bad or incompatible nano-SIM cards floating around and that is the reason the activations are failing.

Is the nano-SIM used in the iPhone the same nano-SIM that is needed for the Maxx? If not, how do you tell them apart?

Has anyone else had an activation problem that was solved with a nano-SIM swap?

... Thom

Upvote 0
I checked back five hours lster and still no progress. They are having problems activating three Maxx(s).

I went to the Corporate Verizon store and played with the Maxx, Ultra, and Mini for a while. The Maxx is clearly the one for me.

I am starting to suspect that there are a batch of bad or incompatible nano-SIM cards floating around and that is the reason the activations are failing.

Is the nano-SIM used in the iPhone the same nano-SIM that is needed for the Maxx? If not, how do you tell them apart?

... Thom

My phone did not send or receive calls today either. I had to call Verizon and they put me through to tech help. He reset it on his end, I had to do a factory reset on my end. It now works.

See my above problem with finding a Nano NFC Sim that isn't in your phone right now.

I agree that the Nano NFC Sims are a PITA.

Upvote 0
Motorola Migrate is useless. It kept wanting me to scan a QR code on my old phone (or maybe on the new one) but I couldn't find one to scan. No problem right? Just use the NFC function to transfer pics and data. Yeah right, that didn't work either. So now I'm transferring my pics and data the old fashioned way, tethered to my laptop.

Did anyone else get that silly app to work??

Yes, it works with Macgyver's method. Pretty fast for me, about 5 minutes, but I off loaded a ton of pics to G+ and Music is in the cloud.

Upvote 0

... Thom

They tried an iphone 5 nano in mine and it said it was not compatible. Then the guy working on mine found a way to activate my original sim in the store. Works great. Some of the reps do know what they are doing..I really think the problem is the phone activaton, not the sim.
Lew

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones